PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear God, they're back...

TripleTransAm
03-19-2004, 10:54 AM
With the improving weather, I'm starting to notice certain things that were missing from our road network during the snowy and salty winters we have up here. The full-tilt Fast and Ferocious street machines... yes, boyz and girlz, I never realized the one VERY good aspect of living with 3-4 months of snow/salt-covered roads, that is: not having to see these attrocities for at least that duration of time.

But in the past few days I've begun spotting more and more of them... I caught this one on the way home from my construction site this morning (my day off). License plate was garbled out of respect for the poor misguided soul...

SergntMac
03-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Man, those Canadian Mustangs are weird looking....

MAD-3R
03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
If all he's done is the tail lights, then he's not to far gone. He can be deprogrammed.

TripleTransAm
03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
I wish I had a better pic of this one (luckily, I could 'magnify' the shot due to having 12 megapixels images to crop from!).

Attrocious hub caps...
slammed so low the car was BOBBING up and down over road irregularities...
popup headlamps replaced with fixed units...
Muffler sitting crooked through the bumper cutouts...

I was casually minding my business, when I was awakened from my daze by the sound of this attrocity.

Now that I'm lugging my camera around with me most of the time I'm on the road (so I can visit the construction site and take shots of my new home), I'm sure I'll snap a real winner soon enough. (another reason I'm moving... I currently live in Ricer Central... every 3rd or 4th car that comes rumbling down my street at 3 am is a Ricer with a muffler opening the size of a torpedo launch-tube).

TripleTransAm
03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
If all he's done is the tail lights, then he's not to far gone. He can be deprogrammed.

All depends on where he lives... (see my previous post).

If he lives anywhere near me, then the sheer peer pressure he's probably feeling from the local zit patrol will only pull him deeper and deeper.

Dr Caleb
03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
I actually had Elvira out this week!!! (Before the snow flew last night)

Bad news, It gave me a little blue smoke on startup, been a week since I started it. :cry:

Good news Ford may repaint Elvira the end of April.

I took Elvira up and washed it, and met a couple guys up dusting off their winter sleepers. A nice 'vert Stang GT, and a black Mini Cooper S. Geeze that would be a fun car as a daily driver!

But I did see one ricer this morning. Silver Hyundai with a Bleacher wing. Guess he found that freezing rain that fell last night, cause he was off the road in a 10 foot ditch. hehehe.

Donny Carlson
03-19-2004, 12:39 PM
But in the past few days I've begun spotting more and more of them... I caught this one on the way home from my construction site this morning (my day off). License plate was garbled out of respect for the poor misguided soul...Going in to work on Wednesday, I was passed by an older model Grand Marquis, black and stock except for a YELLOW wing on the trunk lid. :puke:

Bluerauder
03-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Going in to work on Wednesday, I was passed by an older model Grand Marquis, black and stock except for a YELLOW wing on the trunk lid. :puke:
:lol: This section ought to be a regular feature "Ricers On Parade". Some of the comments are absolutely hilarious. Sad; but true .... However, I think the infestation is much wider than indicated above -- or Ricer Alley is really a mail boulevard. Great comments .........

woaface
03-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Logan, Rick? Can someone delete this thread? I can't believe anyone would put up pictures like that!

;)

duhtroll
03-19-2004, 02:26 PM
I ordered a beachin' flaming orange wing for my MM today.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat. No more double supreme pizzas before bedtime.

-A

Ross
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Going in to work on Wednesday, I was passed by an older model Grand Marquis, black and stock except for a YELLOW wing on the trunk lid. :puke:

Some people are just plain sick...

Petrograde
03-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Oh may home from work today I saw a few ricers out there polluting everyone's optic nerves. I had to stop at a gas station because my wife was craving Macaroni & Cheese with tuna.. :help:

anyway,.. the gas station was full,... most notably 2 ricers and 2 Crown Vics. There was water sprayed all over the place. (I think they had a big fuel spill) So,.. I hit the water and floored it. :D Tires spun and screeched, smoke billowed,.. the croud watched. The Crown Vic guys smiled and gave nods. The ricers looked down and pretended to drive something with cojones grande!

:lol:

woaface
03-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Going in to work on Wednesday, I was passed by an older Grand Marquis, black and stock except for a YELLOW wing on the trunk lid. :puke:
Yeah, even I'm not that desperate...

Bigdogjim
03-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah, even I'm not that desperate...
Remember we are counting one you:baaa:

Don't even think about letting us down:rock:

Rice-Just say NO!:shot:

You'll thank us one day:banana:

Bigdogjim
03-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Don't feel bad.

I got a rice shop around the corner from me:mad:

woaface
03-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Don't feel bad.

I got a rice shop around the corner from me:mad:
Only one rice shop around here...and their show car looks like it came from a junk yard.

TripleTransAm
03-20-2004, 07:19 AM
I got a rice shop around the corner from me

You know, the sad part is that when you really think about it, the "rice" movement is pretty much history repeating itself all over again (Yogi, eat your heart out). While I wasn't around at that point in history, it's my understanding that youth has always wanted to make a stance and rock the 'system'. You know, dare to be different, yadda yadda yadda...

There was the chop/drop/french/etc. crowd and the hotrods some time ago. Fenderless exposed-engine tubbed-wheelwell'ed hotrods with flames painted on whatever body surface was left on. I'm sure many of the conservative (dare I say older?) public frowned on that shameless gaudiness back then.

Then the 70s and the airbrushed vans... shag carpetting all around, mirrors and disco balls, chain-link steering wheels, fur-covered dash pads, etc. (I'm getting sick just describing it).

The 80s saw the rejuvenation of the 70s large 2 door coupe, but primered and jacked up with the largest set of poor-traction rear tires you could slap on there. My cousin's 1977 Firebird Esprit looked straight out of Mad Max with no grille insert, large tires on scavenged honeycomb mags, artificially jacked-up rear... a badly tuned 3.8l 2Bbl powered the car, but the local youngsters still treated him like a hero!

And then the 90s and 00s saw the rice movement. Some 20 years from now, the same gaudy ricers of today will look at their sons' rides and go "aw man, the youth of today is SCREWED up!".

Now, the real sad part of today's ricer movement is that most cars are simply show queens. I regularly attended lapping sessions put on by a local 'rice shop' that was more focused on go than show, and our local F-body club has been repeatedly invited to join them because of our open attitude. They are there to have fun, and I've taken a couple of rides in small compacts that will really grip in the corners, and at a decent clip too!! Of course, then I return the favour ;) and they see how a North American "fat big" like a '98 WS6 can hang as well in the corners, and then seriously PLASTER them to the seats on the straights!!! :up: But it's still all about having fun. That's what motorsports should be all about. These particular "ricers" are cool.

Those attrocities I posted above are not what I consider real cars, though. It's gonna snow some 2-5 cm today, otherwise I'm sure I would have caught a few winners on camera this afternoon.

Paul T. Casey
03-20-2004, 08:53 AM
After getting somewhat friendly with a few of the Ricers at a cruise last summer, this is what I came away with. These dudes like to go fast like the rest of us. However being young, they are on limited budgets. While they spend as much or more to go as fast as a V8 Mustang/Camaro/Firebird, they still pay 4 cyl. insurance. The cars and that God awful noise they make aren't my style, but the ones I met are truely hot rodders. These guys also have a laugh on the Bling Bling machines out there, just as we do. I say tease and torment the ricers, just be careful as some of these things do go pretty good. I'd hate to wear that "owned by a ricer" badge on my car!