PDA

View Full Version : Lost our best friend...

rayjay
07-07-2013, 06:50 AM
It has become apparent over the last few months that moving our beloved Otto the Rottweiler to Myrtle Beach was not a good option. Although he was only 7 years old, he had several health problems. So the decision was made to euthanize him. My wife and I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon and in true Otto style he was obstinate to the very end. 3 shots to sedate him, 2 to euthanize him.
He has been following me around for days and staring at me. Thats how he died, staring at me as I petted his head laying on the floor next to him.

He was a great dog and will be missed terribly. I am not normally a crier, but I can not seem to stop.

Please say a prayer for Otto. We know he is in doggie heaven playing fetch with Poppy... :(

I DID try everything possible to have him adopted. Rescue Me was full and at least honest when they said he won't get adopted because of his size, age and health.

RF Overlord
07-07-2013, 06:58 AM
You and your family have my deepest sympathy. It always crushes me when I have to have a pet euthanized...they ask for almost nothing, yet give so much love. :depress:

RoyLPita
07-07-2013, 07:05 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.

slickster
07-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I know how you feel atleast he had someone great to be around with the time he had

Guittard22
07-07-2013, 07:27 AM
It's never easy losing a pet :/ remember all the good times you guys had . My dog is 4 yrs old and he's a daddy's boy lol it's amazing how when you treat you'r pet with love and respect they become apart of the family for Yeats to come .

Sorry again what happen

RubberCtyRauder
07-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Pets are huge parts of our lives..They give unconditional love and become loyal members of the family..It really is losing a friend, a member of family.

My sympathies for you and your family during this time. Try to remember all the good past times you've had and knowing he is alwasy looking upon you.

rayjay
07-07-2013, 07:45 AM
I was looking for him overnight as he sleeps in our room and I have to step around him. Then when I went out in the garage this morning, I was looking for him again. This was the toughest one of the five over the last 23 years to do. At least I wasn't alone this time. When he growled at me for brushing his left rear leg yesterday and could barely make two laps around the yard, I knew it was time, but I'm still questioning myself. I know he could not have handled the heat as he has been having a tough time this last week. Its actually been hotter and more humid than down south. Rain and flooding up the ying yang...

cat in the hat
07-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Condolences. One of the hardest things you can do :(

Ms. Denmark
07-07-2013, 08:14 AM
We're so sorry for your loss, Ray. You loved Otto and therefore the difficult decision you made was because of that love. Eric and I are thinking of you and you and Otto are in our prayers.

Much love,
Paula

Spectragod
07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
It has become apparent over the last few months that moving our beloved Otto the Rottweiler to Myrtle Beach was not a good option. Although he was only 7 years old, he had several health problems. So the decision was made to euthanize him. My wife and I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon and in true Otto style he was obstinate to the very end. 3 shots to sedate him, 2 to euthanize him.
He has been following me around for days and staring at me. Thats how he died, staring at me as I petted his head laying on the floor next to him.

He was a great dog and will be missed terribly. I am not normally a crier, but I can not seem to stop.

Please say a prayer for Otto. We know he is in doggie heaven playing fetch with Poppy... :(

I DID try everything possible to have him adopted. Rescue Me was full and at least honest when they said he won't get adopted because of his size, age and health.

It's always hard to put down one of beloved pets, you should take solace in knowing that you gave him many good years and loved him as much as he loved you.

You will be with him again one day at the rainbow bridge, he will be waiting for you with that unconditional love that both of you had for one another.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers....

lji372
07-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Sorry for your loss. Time will ease your pain......

Ms. Denmark
07-07-2013, 08:31 AM
It's always hard to put down one of beloved pets, you should take solace in knowing that you gave him many good years and loved him as much as he loved you.

You will be with him again one day at the rainbow bridge, he will be waiting for you with that unconditional love that both of you had for one another.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers....

Glad you posted this link Darren. It's beautiful and I believe. But I'm having trouble seeing it... the words are blurry and making my eyes water...

SC Cheesehead
07-07-2013, 08:33 AM

Oh, Ray, my heart goes out to you guys. I know what you're going through, hang in there.

HammerDown
07-07-2013, 08:35 AM

^^ this statement SO true.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and family.

Connie & Jack

ledzilla
07-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear that. I know how it is, having to have put down two dogs. I suppose I had the fortune of them both being at least 15 years old. It hurts, but it will get better. But sometimes you never get around those little habits you develop from having them around, and you still miss those little things they did. One of our dogs used to just nose this brass spittoon we had sitting in front of the fireplace for no particular reason except for maybe that it made noise. I still miss that and it's been four years.

Shaijack
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I truly feel for your loss. I am a pet owner and have lost a few. Three right after Katrina. Stress.
Minnie is a part of our family now and Magnito (turtle) is like a brother to Minnie. She was a rescue dog with a broken hip.

fastblackmerc
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Sorry for your loss Ray. It's a very difficult decision that has to be made, but it's was the right one.

whitey
07-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Im not a animal lover, but ive had pets growing up and i know its hard to lose them.

MMcactusflower
07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
My deepest sympathies for the loss of your pet...actually, not really a 'pet' but a trusted member of your family.
Before we moved to Wimberley nine years ago, we had to have our thirteen year old lhasa 'put down'...our daughter had graduated from college and so Maggie was our 'daughter dog.'
I cannot describe the emotional toll it took to say goodbye to her at the vet's that afternoon...
Many years later, we have another one...Abbey...and so I can only hope that you will find room in your heart for another 'pet' at some point.
And of course...you can reflect on the wonderful memories you shared with your loving companion.
They understand us...they know us...they make our lives richer...and they are never forgotten...unconditional love is what they offer us and we are all the better for it.
So sorry for your loss.

L.Mark
07-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Been in your shoes. And thought the same thing, well may could have done this or tried that. In the end you did the right thing and think of his comfort. Which is so hard to do. I did this several years ago with my last Lab mix of 16 years. Held his head and let him slip away knowing that I was holding him. Very emotional times. Don't second guess and remember the good times. Fist thought is this was the last one, never getting another one. I've said it, but it never lasts.

DEFYANT
07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
SOrry for your loss. Been there with my Great Dane Elsie in 2011 and recently with my cat Milo. Its never easy. Prepping myself for the day my 14 yr old husky goes..

Ladyhawke
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
We are so very sorry for your loss. We lost our Missy early Friday morning before Carlisle. She was a wonderful 16 year cat. It is never easy but we would rather have them for the time that we do than to never have had them.

guspech750
07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
This is a few quotes from members in a thread where one of our Marauder friends was having "family issues" and was chastised for venting on a car forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Dear Abby,

I belong to a muscle car web site and usually we talk about things that improve our cars performance, reliability and maintainability.

But lately members are delving into personal matters about individual relationships, sexual innuendo's, family crisis and off color jokes.

This has resulted in hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and too much drama.

This distresses me, so what should I do?

Sign me...

Fed up.

Dear Fed up;

Ignore 'em and feed 'em pomegranates.

Signed..

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Denmark
I read it because I know Kyle but I'm with Pat on this one...(and BTW I know Pat, too).

So I say. What makes this thread any better or worse that Kyles?? Because a dog passed?

WTF is a matter with you people. Kyle vents he's having family problems and he gets shafted.

Ray vents that he lost a close friend and we all hold vigil.

A few screws need to tightened here.

Rant over.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Spectragod
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
This is a few quotes from members in a thread where one of our Marauder friends was having "family issues" and was chastised for venting on a car forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Dear Abby,

I belong to a muscle car web site and usually we talk about things that improve our cars performance, reliability and maintainability.

But lately members are delving into personal matters about individual relationships, sexual innuendo's, family crisis and off color jokes.

This has resulted in hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and too much drama.

This distresses me, so what should I do?

Sign me...

Fed up.

Dear Fed up;

Ignore 'em and feed 'em pomegranates.

Signed..

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Denmark
I read it because I know Kyle but I'm with Pat on this one...(and BTW I know Pat, too).

So I say. What makes this thread any better or worse that Kyles?? Because a dog passed?

WTF is a matter with you people. Kyle vents he's having family problems and he gets shafted.

Ray vents that he lost a close friend and we all hold vigil.

A few screws need to tightened here.

Rant over.

^^^^THIS^^^^
A) doesn't belong in this post
B) is bad juju to be trashing someones post in reference to the loss of a family member, and believe it or not, most of us that have pets, consider them family.
C) I understand your frustration, but derailing Rays post isn't the way to go about it.
D) IBTL

guspech750
07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
^^^^THIS^^^^
A) doesn't belong in this post
B) is bad juju to be trashing someones post in reference to the loss of a family member, and believe it or not, most of us that have pets, consider them family.
C) I understand your frustration, but derailing Rays post isn't the way to go about it.
D) IBTL

Just stating facts Darren.

babbage
07-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Sad news indeed. I'm sorry about Otto Ray. I know these type of things can be tough, my mother lost her dog recently to lime disease and was crushed...

How's Myrtle Beach otherwise?

TAKEDOWN
07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Horrible news, I know the feeling! I'm sure you both served each other well and he had an awesome life with you. Though never forgotten, pup/s usually help out, when you're ready! Here, here to Man's best friend, MARAUDER on in Doggie Heaven!

Gryphonzus
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Sorry for your loss! Been there done that and do not look forward to doing it again.

jabird56
07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorry for your loss, had to put my yellow lab Brandy down a few years back.

A Dog’s Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know from the fierce wagging of my tail whenever your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, and no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the warm hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with my last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

W.G. Corgill/1987

SC Cheesehead
07-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Sorry for your loss, had to put my yellow lab Brandy down a few years back.

A Dog’s Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know from the fierce wagging of my tail whenever your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, and no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the warm hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with my last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

W.G. Corgill/1987

Wow. Very powerful words, and very fitting.

Mr. Man
07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Sorry for your loss Ray.

Jimimac43
07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

rayjay
07-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks to everyone for their support. Its a little better today, but I found myself looking for him again this morning. I will say I don't miss him snoring like a Kodiak bear.

As far as posting this on a car forum, I have been here many years and the loss of a pet/family member post has always been welcomed and never rebuked. This kind of thing is the reason you don't see me here much anymore.

Again thank you guys. It does help. Now back to packing, T - 1 day....

Haggis
07-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Chris and I send our condolences Ray.

rayjay
07-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Chris and I send our condolences Ray.

Thanks Buddy, I'll wave as I driveby tomorrow. :lol:

MERCMAN
07-08-2013, 05:56 AM
I once had a "man of the cloth" tell me that dogs/pets have no souls and therefore don't go to heaven. My reply to him was" If my dogs are not there, then it is not heaven". Sorry for your loss but know that he is not suffering from health issues and the last thing he saw was your love returned to him for all the love he had given you. We should all be so lucky.

Haggis
07-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks Buddy, I'll wave as I driveby tomorrow. :lol:

Stop in and say hello.

rayjay
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks again. Signing off until we are moved. Turning in the equipment in a hour.

Curless
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, terrible part about having pets is saying goodbye. I commend you for staying there with him, so many people walk away and let the vet do his job with no regard for the pet. Thoughts are with you...

mcb26
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had to put my best friend Rusty down back in Feb.
And in March found out Lacey had terminal cancer. So I will have to go through it again shortly. I gave Rusty his insulin for 3 years twice a day and the last few months fluids 3 times a week. I kept asking the vet if he was in pain, he told me Rusty would let me know when the time came. Some people think I'm crazy to spend all that time and money I did, but you know what I would gladly give my Marauder just to have him back.

L.Mark
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had to put my best friend Rusty down back in Feb.
And in March found out Lacey had terminal cancer. So I will have to go through it again shortly. I gave Rusty his insulin for 3 years twice a day and the last few months fluids 3 times a week. I kept asking the vet if he was in pain, he told me Rusty would let me know when the time came. Some people think I'm crazy to spend all that time and money I did, but you know what I would gladly give my Marauder just to have him back.

+100 on that...