PDA

View Full Version : hemi challenger engine failure.. low miles

bill64
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Ive heard the slightly older hemi's drop valve seats but this one broke a spindly little timing chain...note how he says blocks and heads are on back order:lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=mH0ycKemAp8

RoyLPita
07-09-2013, 06:16 AM
This is one of the many reasons why I lost interest in buying a Challenger.

bill64
07-09-2013, 03:36 PM
This is one of the many reasons why I lost interest in buying a Challenger.
I hear you, I like the cars but if the engines are failing like that then no thanks!

RoyLPita
07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I hear you, I like the cars but if the engines are failing like that then no thanks!

I joined a site that talked about them. They had more issues than want to deal with.

99SVT
07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
The timing chain problems have been happening to the 5.7l autos with MDS. Almost all of them break while in MDS cruising at 60-70mph. It has to be some sort of harmonics problem while running on less than 8 cylinders. Good thing my GF's is an SRT8 6 speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

WhatsUpDOHC
07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
The timing chain problems have been happening to the 5.7l autos with MDS. Almost all of them break while in MDS cruising at 60-70mph. It has to be some sort of harmonics problem while running on less than 8 cylinders. Good thing my GF's is an SRT8 6 speed.

That's got to be a rude awakening at that speed.

99SVT
07-09-2013, 04:54 PM
That's got to be a rude awakening at that speed.

Especially when the car is in gas saving "eco" mode that has to piss people off.

If they were ripping around, hammering on the car most people would say they had it coming. But, when you are putzing around trying to save gas, not hurt the car and the motor decides to digest itself. I can see most people losing their minds on the dealerships.

Marauderjack
07-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Some interesting information from a Challenger site:

The things in common when the timing chain breaks so far are:

1. MDS is activated (auto trans., so 6-speed are excluded)
2. Traveling at freeway speeds
3. 2009-2011 model years affected so far
4. Limited to the 5.7L motor so far
5. Dodge Challenger only

Things ruled out thus far:

A. 6-speed manual transmissions not affected
B. Other 5.7L vehicles not affected, i.e., Charger, 300, Ram truck
C. New tensioner (white color) has also failed (see #8 on list of failures)
D. New crate motor has also failed (see #3 and #8 on list of failures)
E. Both stock and mod cars affected
F. Both stock tune and Predator tune (with MDS turned on) affected
G. All oil change intervals affected, i.e., 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, etc.
H. All types of oil affected, i.e., both synthetic and conventional oil

RF Overlord
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I was sure that the Challenger would be my next (and prolly last) new car, but this is not good news. I want an automatic as I simply prefer them, but a stick is not out of the question.

Sigh.

If I live on Cape Cod, there are no tornadoes or earthquakes, but we do get hurricanes. If I live in Kansas, there are no hurricanes, but plenty of tornadoes. If I live in San Diego, there are no tornadoes or hurricanes, but there are earthquakes. You can't win. Apparently buying a new car is just like that: no matter what you buy, something heinous goes wrong with it.

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I was also thinking of going towards a challenger or 4 door charger down the road. I have driven the new jeeps and are impressive, (at least when new) so was hoping Chrysler had gotten their act together.