PDA

View Full Version : Flaming tail pipes?

Petrograde
03-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know anything about this (http://www.digital-bling.com/products.html)

I know it's kinda 'ricey' but, I kinda like the idea of a pair of flames shooting out my tail pipes. :flamer: Maybe I could melt the front of tailgater's cars!

Anyway,... who's heard of these things or knows anything about them?

Thanks!

Fourth Horseman
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
That's more than just "kinda" ricey, bro. :D

teamrope
03-20-2004, 06:41 PM
I saw something similar to that on a 68 Chevell. Looked kinda cool at night.
On his you had to rev it a little, and it sent the spark to the pipe instead of the plug evry few RPMs. It would throw a 3 foot flame (give or take)

Logan
03-20-2004, 06:41 PM
It's an old hot roddin' trick. Not ricey, just old.

You need a coil, a spark plug, a plug wire, rich fuel mixture and a switch.

Weld the a bung onto your tail pipe, screw in mr. spark plug. Attach plug wire to coil. Hook 12v + and - to a switch and power source. Adjust fuel mixture rich for added effect.

Flip switch, watch flames shoot out when you rev it. It really isn't complicated at all. It's just igniting the unspent fuel going out your tail pipe.

Unfortunately, it's all kinda pointless if you have cats on your car, unless you hook a fuel source into your tail pipe too, which uh... Wouldn't be smart.

cyclone03
03-20-2004, 07:00 PM

Unfortunately, it's all kinda pointless if you have cats on your car, unless you hook a fuel source into your tail pipe too, which uh... Wouldn't be smart.

Yea,Yea,Yea!

Get a -4 fuel line about 20' long and an adapter to the fuel pressure test fitting on the fuel rail,then an extra pair of fuel injectors mounted ahead of the spark plugs in the tail pipes.......

YEA!YEA!YEA!!.....

Forget 3' flames,fuel spray at 42psi @ WOT should shot flames at least 20'!!!!

On yea I'm doin' it.....

Wait Nitrous fuel jets and silenoids,and the WOT switch from the kit..........

oh man........ :sleepy:

TAF
03-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Tom...put down the tequila...I said put it DOWN!

Now...no more searching the web for rice-stuff....got it? Now...go get yourself a LARGE cup of coffee. :P

dwasson
03-20-2004, 07:58 PM

My dad had that system on his 50 Merc, back in 1953. He said that the dangerous thing was that if you dumped too much gas into the pipe you could blow the pipe open. The loud bang impressed people though. :flamer:

dwasson
03-20-2004, 08:00 PM
YEA!YEA!YEA!!.....

On yea I'm doin' it.....

Wait Nitrous fuel jets and silenoids,and the WOT switch from the kit..........

oh man........ :sleepy:

Tailgating Texas Marauders is going to be a bad idea.

CRUZTAKER
03-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Tom, let folks flame away but my dad was doing this in the '50's when a ricer was a piece of melted carbon in Hiroshima....

:rock:

TripleTransAm
03-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Weld the a bung onto your tail pipe

Well aren't we getting personal....

TripleTransAm
03-20-2004, 08:54 PM

Nope, not unless you get Dennis' new straightened fuel filter setup...

cruzer
03-20-2004, 09:35 PM
How much HP are you figuring for jet assisted take-off :flamer:

jspradii
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
How much HP are you figuring for jet assisted take-off :flamer:
You know, I do think the afterburner idea has serious merit. Worked for F-80's, 86's,100's,101's, 104's, 106's, F-4's (A-D models) the F-15, F-16 and F-18. Why wouldn't it work for a MM03-300A, B, or MM04? Dumping raw fuel into a hot pipe could be a real blast! :flamer: :lol:

PhastPhil
03-20-2004, 11:31 PM
As others have said this has been around along time. Logan's explanation is the original way to do it. It worked well back when cars had a manual choke. You would pull the choke out to make it run rich, then light the spark plugs and rev it! Nowadays a lot of guys cheat by installing propane tanks in their trunks. These throw a 15 to 20 foot flame! Every year on the first weekend of September is Lead East the World's Biggest Fifties Party, with about 2,000 rods and customs. They hold a flame throwing contest every year. It had gotten so wild they moved the crowd back about 200 feet form the vehicles. But it is an awsome show!!

the fat bastid
03-21-2004, 12:23 AM
you guys ever see mad max 1? remeber the scene when the car flies across
the railroad tracks? that had flames shoot out the pipes and it was unintentional. they juiced it way to much to get it to move that fast and that was the result.

Fourth Horseman
03-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Guys... it was ricey back in the 50s, too, they just had a different food-derived term for it: cheesy.
:D

Krytin
03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know anything about this (http://www.digital-bling.com/products.html)

I know it's kinda 'ricey' but, I kinda like the idea of a pair of flames shooting out my tail pipes. :flamer: Maybe I could melt the front of tailgater's cars!

Anyway,... who's heard of these things or knows anything about them?

Thanks!

This is not 'ricey' - go to "www.mooneyes.com".
Shooting flames out the tailpipes as far as 50' has been going on in the hot rod world for 50 years or more. Short out one plug on each bank and fire additional plugs in the tailpipes. Carburated motors running on tyhe rich side can be VERY impressive.
I don't know how well this will work on electronic controlled fuel injection/spark. A rich condition in the exhaust will lean out the injectors?

bigslim
03-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Most of the old cars had steel bumpers. Be careful with the plastic rears on newer cars.

TripleTransAm
03-21-2004, 12:14 PM
:lol: Good point, Bigslim...

Mad1
03-21-2004, 01:18 PM
My dad had that system on his 50 Merc, back in 1953. He said that the dangerous thing was that if you dumped too much gas into the pipe you could blow the pipe open. The loud bang impressed people though. :flamer:

You're not kidding either.

While helping my college roommate work on his old beater in the Industrial Arts Dept.'s automotive shop, we accidentially did this to his car. After several cranks with the plugs disabled, we'd put enough gas into the exhaust that when we fired it up ... BOOM!

Rattled the windows throughout the whole building ... scared the hell out of us and blew the muffler open like one of thos Jiffy Pop popcorn bags. Sure brought everyone running too.

Mad1
Jeremy

"I'm the mad bomber what bombs at midnight."

Constable
03-21-2004, 04:08 PM
http://www.dragon-exhaust.com/Content/home.html

These guys make an awesome setup for flames. It doesn't require any alterations of fuel mixture and the system works on cars with cats. I've seen this kit in person and it looks really trick. I was all set to install one on my MM, but I fear that the plastic bumper will melt and the paint will get all fouled up.

TX Harley Guy
03-21-2004, 04:09 PM
There are quite a few FI cars in my area that have flamethrowers on them, they use a bottle of propane, like those torches use, a switch system like nitros, a regulator, and some braided stainless lines and some fitings in the tailpipes, the electrical part is the same, coil and spark plugs. I think there cool looking, just not for me.

David JP
03-21-2004, 07:41 PM

Weld the a bung onto your tail pipe, screw in mr. spark plug. Attach plug wire to coil. Hook 12v + and - to a switch and power source. Adjust fuel mixture rich for added effect.

Flip switch, watch flames shoot out when you rev it. It really isn't complicated at all. It's just igniting the unspent fuel going out your tail pipe.

Unfortunately, it's all kinda pointless if you have cats on your car, unless you hook a fuel source into your tail pipe too, which uh... Wouldn't be smart.Oh, so that's how Batman does it.