PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not getting a Marauder

one bad dakota
03-20-2004, 08:23 PM
In a lot of ways I still like the Marauder. I think it's a great platform. But I was hoping to get the 5.4L in it. 4.6L? Fine, but please don't take away the forged assembly from the Cobra! This move hacked me off as I was planning on going to forced induction as I can't abide anything stock. Having said that, I was encouraged by what you guys have been running with bolt-ons. It's no pushrod motor,but it does have some potential. I got swayed back and was about to take the plunge until that "other" car came into the mix.
That other car had the displacment, had the push rod motor,and had the new chassis to take an affordable RWD American sedan to the next level. It frankly, is probably going to make Marauder owners very nervous at the stoplight.
http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=au toweek&cat_code=coverstory&content_code=04277743&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=1934576&record=3

CRUZTAKER
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
It's still a Chrylser....:down:

Thanks for your thoughts, Gutes Glück und gut tschüs.

Oh, and BTW, Ich schüttle in meinen Stiefeln. Ich werde Sie im hinteren Blickspiegel sehen!

woaface
03-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Can I get a translation of that man???

And what's this 300C...that soap box? 340 horses and it can't run under 6 to 60? Looks like what I ship x-mas presents in.:puke:

BruteForce
03-20-2004, 08:34 PM
:down: Looks like doo-doo with the aerodynamics of a brick. Once it spun up enough to get any torque to the tires, an MM would be long gone.

BruteForce
03-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Loose transalation: Good luck and best [something]<SOMETHING>. I vibrate in my boots. I will see you in the rear view mirror.

CRUZTAKER
03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I figured he liked the car of german persuation he could translate it himself.:D

Besides, all my marauder hater replies in english get deleted, so I resorted to my other talent...multi-lingual flaming!:rock:

Donny Carlson
03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
It frankly, is probably going to make Marauder owners very nervous at the stoplight.

I always get nervous when guys in ugly cars are next to me at stoplights, especially ones who realize they wasted 32k on a Chrysler.:bounce:

CRUZTAKER
03-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Good luck and [best something]<SOMETHING>.
...GOOD BYE

Mad4Macs
03-20-2004, 08:55 PM
There are several 12.xx second Marauders here.
"Some Potential", indeed.
And yes, I'm with the rest of the posts as to the Daimler's styling. There are a lot of those things around here (Daimler headquarters and all), and I really don't care for the way the car looks. My MM still makes me smile after a year of seeing it :)

hitchhiker
03-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Can you say "BUTT UGLY"

This 300C is simply the butt ugliest thing to come along in a decade!

Be sure to carry a towel to wipe off the puke!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

:lol:

You're Out!

TripleTransAm
03-20-2004, 09:01 PM
I gotta wonder what is the intended purpose of posting something like that...

After I read the post, I honestly started to feel bad about my choice of automobiles. I sat back, took a long hard drag on my chocolate milk (the ultimate feel-good drink, I'm still pretty ill you know), and gave it a good think-through. I mean, what the hell was I thinking? I really should just put the old piece of crap up for sale... I really feel like a loser for not having waited until that article on the 300 before deciding which car to buy.

Amazing how life-changing someone's one single post can be... :rolleyes:

woaface
03-20-2004, 09:04 PM
TTA, you are the best! There is nothing edible on earth more calming than chocolate milk...

And milk and oreos? Whoo don't get me started!

duhtroll
03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I was dead set on buying this car a year and a half ago when I first heard about it.

Then I saw a picture. That was the end of it.

<GACK!>

-A

merc
03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
And what's this 300C...does it have four legs and hooves? 340 horses and it can't run under 6 to 60? Hum, sounds like a good hunt for my new Remington 500. Hope it ships before deer season, because anything that ugly should be shoot. :rasta:

RCSignals
03-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I somehow doubt "one bad dakota" knows anything about a Marauder.
Damn, they dropped the "forged assembly" Cobra engine? I'm so mad!!! No supercharging for the Marauder, no sirree.

The 300C does not come standard with the "Hemi" engine. (The Hemi engine isn't "forged assembly", and it has "pushrods")
As far as I can tell, Daimler-Chrysler (there is no more Chysler) is still experiencing "sudden unexplained failures" with that engine. Must be the pushrods.

But really, what's up with that grille on the 300C anyway? (Wasn't real popular the first time around)

UAW 588
03-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey guys the same old story to me. Alot of bark and not enough bite. Just my friggin 2 cents. :puke: :flamer: :lol: :bs:

one bad dakota
03-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Oh I know quite a bit about the 4.6L. I got my start racing Fords. Currently, I'm racing a Dodge. I didn't come here to start anything, just to see what you guys thought about the new competition. I anticipated the responses from the brand partisans. But I know there our free thinkers on this board.
I just saw one at the auto show. It looks much better in person. The front end is better than I thought. I think it's the most controversial part of the car. I was very impressed with the interior,especially for a Chrysler product. You can definitely feel the Mercedes influence. It will be interesting to see what the thing dynos with the fully rollerized 5 speed Mercedes tranny. Chrysler trannies, from my experience, have always been horrible power eaters.

RCSignals
03-20-2004, 11:34 PM
I didn't come here to start anything, just to see what you guys thought about the new competition. I anticipated the responses from the brand partisans. But I know there our free thinkers on this board.

Uh huh. right. Anyone who doesn't agree is a "Brand partisan" and not a "free thinker"

Personally, I've never felt the Troll like compulsion to go to a board and make a post about how much I didn't like a car the board was about, and picked something else from the competition.

the fat bastid
03-21-2004, 12:12 AM
I didn't come here to start anything, just to see what you guys thought about the new competition

trash talk a car on the car owner's board? not exatcly the best way to 'see what we think'

i'm with RC, i dont get trolling but this is a classic example.

so is the one bad dakota the north or the south one?

p.s. why isnt it the 300n? or whatever letter they are up too?

DarthMerc
03-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I still dont feel bad for buying the Merc. The side profile of the eh ehem- Chrysler looks like the lincoln concept- nice I say but, it is NOT too pretty from the front at all. Sure I like performance but if the car has been beaten with an ugly stick it really doesnt matter to me. :lol: Seriousely though, Chrysler products have always been known to be cheap, cheap, cheap. :shake: Oh wait, sorry im just a little partial to ford products since I afford this fine automobile with the help of the paychecks I receive from them. :rock: Ok enough of my rant, The car has the Rolls-Bently front end and looks mabe a bit smaller than our MMs. I think the MM looks much nicer and is probably quite a bit more reliable and dare I say have better quality (at least from an engineering standpoint) than any Chrysler. Oops, theres that Ford Blue loyalty speaking again. :lol:

TripleTransAm
03-21-2004, 12:20 AM
p.s. why isnt it the 300n? or whatever letter they are up too?

Maybe they practice decontenting too?

SergntMac
03-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Nervous? Only a beautiful woman can make me nervous.

Meeting up with a 300C at a stop light should be fun. I only hope the dude behind the wheel knows what to do on the green.

Since he bought that car, I suppose we'll keep at it until he gets it.

MarauderMike
03-21-2004, 05:22 AM
When you get to the front of that long line of slow moving cars being held up in traffic, why is it he/she is usually driving a Chrysler? As for styling of the 300C, anyone remember the great success of the Edsel, or perhaps even the Marlin? Good luck with the 300C, you'll need it.

O's Fan Rich
03-21-2004, 05:23 AM
Free thinkers? Yes, yes we are. We freely thought about it and bought what we wanted. You can freely think about it and go buy what you want.
I ordered my MM after seeing one pull into Carlise's entry gate in June 2002, no test drive, no dealer visit. I am so glad that my Ford was having a problem with the 17" wheels for the CV LX sport, cause my free thinking ability allowed me to change my order to the MM in one phone call.

And yes, that 300 is an ugly car, freely thinking, that is. :shot:

BillyGman
03-21-2004, 05:23 AM
The only "controversial" thing on that car is the front you say? How you figure that? The back to me looks like it was hit by a truck. Can you say "UGLY"????? My opinion ofcourse, but hey, you asked for it.

I'm not one of those who has any loyalty to Ford. But then again I haven't any loyalty to any car manufacute anyway. my only dream car is the 2005 Ford GT but there's just no way that I can swing 150K for a car, so that's all it is for me(a "dream").

But the Marauder looks waaaaay better than that silver block of a car that you displayed ion your pic. yes,I agree w/you that they should've found a way to get a 350 cube engine in the Marauder, or atleast the 5.4L one since the Marauder is one of the heaviest cars on the street today. And that is why I too just had to modify my Marauder.

But the reason I bought the car is because of it's cool looks. Nothing is like it, and I can garantee you that if you buy that thing in that pic, and you're driving up to a traffic light w/a Marauder sitting next to you, then you better beat him when the light turns green, because that will be the only satisfaction you'll get. All eyes will be on the Marauder. Everywhere I go, people just can't help but stare at my car, and many times they walk up to me and compliment me on it, and want to know what kind of car it is.

Don't expect that reaction from people when you get that car in the pic. And BTW, I've only put about $3,600 of modifications in my Marauder (no supercharger yet), and I can say that w/out a doubt that if that Marauder that you pull along side of at the traffic light is mine, you'll only be looking at tail lights when the light turns green. Just look at my signature if you doubt that. So there's my opinion friend. I hope that you consider it BEFORE you spend your $$ on that thing.

greyghost
03-21-2004, 06:31 AM
In a lot of ways I still like the Marauder. I think it's a great platform. But I was hoping to get the 5.4L in it. 4.6L? Fine, but please don't take away the forged assembly from the Cobra! This move hacked me off as I was planning on going to forced induction as I can't abide anything stock. Having said that, I was encouraged by what you guys have been running with bolt-ons. It's no pushrod motor,but it does have some potential. I got swayed back and was about to take the plunge until that "other" car came into the mix.
That other car had the displacment, had the push rod motor,and had the new chassis to take an affordable RWD American sedan to the next level. It frankly, is probably going to make Marauder owners very nervous at the stoplight.
http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=au toweek&cat_code=coverstory&content_code=04277743&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=1934576&record=3
I don't think so. I think you got your head misplaced somewhere that the Son doesn't shine. There will always be cars faster than the MM but, it is a great ride and very inexpensive against the competition. I am waiting to do the forced induction thing and with the stock bottom end you can get to 450 RWHP. And that turns it into a low 12 sec car. Uh, Mecedes AMG will cost you over 100K to get similar performance and will not be as roomy inside. I guess I look at your post as a Flame and that your not really thinking. Chrysler products have always had a crummy finish and poor handling. But, with the way you think it would fit your personality better than a MM.

Just my NSHO.

TAF
03-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Why I'm (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8835)an idiot....
Due to the fact that I came here and started this post....that's why I'm an idiot.
Because I can't afford either of the cars mentioned....that's why I'm an idiot.
Seeing that "keyboard racing" is my only hobby...that's why I'm an idiot.
Having an empty, lonely life that is fulfilled by cruising internet car forums rather than actual boulevards...that's why I'm an idiot.
Getting a "rise" out of folks who actually have what I could never have...that's why I'm an idiot.

I think that^^^was said very well, dakota....:D

BillyGman
03-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Lol.........

gja
03-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Just plain UGLY. I wouldn't care if it turned 13 in the 1/4.
I don't forsee huge sales for that car, too damned hard on the eyes.

one bad dakota
03-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Hey,looks are subjective. But I can't help but wonder how many of you would be loving it if had a different emblem on it.:shake: You do realize your driving a Grand Marquis??:confused:
Sure, there is no brand loyalty diluting objectivity. Just look at the viciousness of these personal attacks. I'm an idiot? Does your car really mean that much to you?? Of course I will admit to doing some keyboard racing on a part time basis. My other part time hobby would be real racing. I'm in Minneapolis if any of you would care to try me out.:D
RC,
Perhaps you should read my entire first post instead of applying selective reading skills. Again, I like the Marauder. But a car with 40 more HP and 90 more TQ and a mercedes tranny and suspension with a Chrylser hemi makes for a persuasive arguement.
Tom

TAF
03-21-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm an idiot?
Uh...yes...yes, as a matter of fact...you are.

martyo
03-21-2004, 08:06 AM
One Bland Dakota, nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by. Don't hit yourself with the door on your way out, okay?

Petrograde
03-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey,looks are subjective. But I can't help but wonder how many of you would be loving it if had a different emblem on it.:shake: You do realize your driving a Grand Marquis??:confused:

..sigh.. it would still be ugly with a Merc emblem on it. Oh,.. BTW don't you ever call my Marauder a Grand Marquis again... :fire:

Just look at the viciousness of these personal attacks.
What did ya expect?

I'm an idiot?
Yes

Does your car really mean that much to you??
Yes

Of course I will admit to doing some keyboard racing So, you are admitting to being a troll?

gja
03-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Sure, there is no brand loyalty diluting objectivity. Just look at the viciousness of these personal attacks. I'm an idiot? Does your car really mean that much to you?? Of course I will admit to doing some keyboard racing on a part time basis. My other part time hobby would be real racing. I'm in Minneapolis if any of you would care to try me out.:D
RC,
Perhaps you should read my entire first post instead of applying selective reading skills. Again, I like the Marauder. But a car with 40 more HP and 90 more TQ and a mercedes tranny and suspension with a Chrylser hemi makes for a persuasive arguement.
Tom

Actually, the fact it is a Crown Vic/Grand Maquis underneath is one of the reasons I got it! It is a PROVEN,SOLID platform. Safe, well built, comfortable and with the Marauder trim, darn pretty to look at.
I have ZERO brand loyalty, but I DO insist on buying so OUR (Canadian or US) economies keep the jobs. I, for the record, do not do personal attacks. So take this post as a friendly discussion.

FYI, I was a CHEVY-ONLY man until the MM. And if the SS was still in production I would have bought THAT. I am glad I did not, in the end.

I think the 300C is going to flop because of its far-too-boxy exterior and Chryslers infamous history of screwing up good design with abysmal production quality. I hope I am wrong, but I'll bet that engine/tranny combo start to see unhappily high percentages of units eating themselves.

And as far as emblems go, I may just de-badge mine completely. NO emblems anywhere. When the maker of the mark starts giving me promo stipends I will be happy to sticker the front and rear wth their logo. Otherwise I am no drive-by ad for any manufacturer.

woaface
03-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Whoa no. I drive a Marquis, and the Marauder is very different from the marquis. Different engine, different interior, the outside is also different, different suspension, rims, wheels, different rear facsia, different headlights, steering system even the airflow system is different...and i'm sure there's more...it all comes from big to small.

I've been in a stock Marauder and an S/C one...they were both a million times better than my Grand Marquis.

As a Marquis driver, I resent that...my car is hardly what the Marauder is...never will be, I'd spend more money on my car to make it look like a Marauder than i would on a Marauder and it still wouldn't happen.

And besides, it's a GREAT platform to start from, as said above^^^^^^^^^^.

Smokie
03-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Dakota, buy what you want. No big deal. A lot of SS guys think we are crazy for liking the MM. After you buy the car let us know how you like it, take it out to the track, run with us. Have a beer afterwards...life goes on.

All your opinions will have the strenght of conviction after you buy the 300. Right now is all talk. I wish you safe driving.

stevengerard
03-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I've been going through the same thoughts as Dakota, since it is taking so long for the dealer to trade for a loaded 04 silver I've been reading up and looking in person. I have many of the same feelings as many of the respondents. I like the MM looks, the practicality, the price, the potential, etc. My real dream car is a used Viper (Ford GT is realistically out of the question), which I could get in the 30's. But as a family man with 4 kids and a salesman how do you justify that, when I have a 442 already sitting in the garage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

So I went to the dealer and looked at a CTS-V yesterday, 35k cheaper than a M5, nice looking, luxurious, fast etc. But its smaller than the MM, 23K more and tells clients I'm charging them too much. I've been thinking about the Ford 500 and the Chrysler 300. Both are too boxy for me but I must admit with 455 cubes in the 442 there is no replacement for displacement. Then I think back to the GNs and GNXs, there's a great car with a V6, at least the MM has an 8 cylinder.<o:p></o:p>

In other words I see Dakota's point but my preference in design and the fact that Ford is owned by Ford not a German company (yeah I know, we live in a global economy - but still) I’m still leaning towards the MM. Heck I don't think I could buy a Jaguar even though Ford owns it.<o:p></o:p>

I’m a car nut and although I do feel blessed to be have what I have I also think I’d really never say enoughs enough. That’s a true car guy. So these decisions aren’t easy, very subjective and personal, and in the end are expensive. When I owned my SHO it was a decent all around car, I felt the SS wasn’t fast enough, good looking enough and when I got in it I felt like I was in a taxi, couldn’t get over that. Then the LS6 came out and was way under powered and over priced. The new GTO sounds good, but too small and looks like an Acura to me. At least we are getting choices now<o:p></o:p>

Long reply that’s helping me convince myself I’m making the right decision. For all of you who say it shouldn’t be that hard – you are lucky. Every car purchase for me is a fun but long task.<o:p></o:p>

MERCMAN
03-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I think that^^^was said very well, dakota....:D

Come on Todd,, tell us how you REALLY feel :lol:

duhtroll
03-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Actually I think the 300C/N/Q/whatever will do very well. That same fugly style seems to be the trend nowadays. We have a bunch of people buying these cars with the semi-truck sized chrome grills because they think it makes their car look like a Rolls or something. Caddy's doing it, as are other automakers who want people to think they are buying a higher end European car.

Makes me want to :puke: :puke: :puke:

However, like country music, it seems to have taken hold.

I'm glad it has, because it just makes our MMS look better. I'm glad they aren't being made anymore, because part of the style of the car was its distincton, and that is now preserved.

Let Bad North Dakota go buy what he wants. He'll never know the pleasure or the distinction of being a MM owner.

Thanks,
-A

Sactown
03-21-2004, 09:21 AM
RC,
Tom
I don't think you are an idiot. But you need balls and an asbestos suit to tout that car on this board. I respect that you can buy whatever you want and I wish you good luck in whatever you purchase. Get your facts together though, I don't drive a Grand Marquis. The MM is to the GM what a base Mustang is to the Mach-1. Yes, same platform, but way different car. That said, I personally am glad to see D-C making this car. I think any competition in the large 4-door RWD market is a good thing. I look forward to GM and Fords continued response to this and future cars. The CTS-V and the LS are good examples, plus Caddy is coming out with the new STS later this year. What do I think of the 300C? Ugly, but that is my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. I'm just glad to see the increased attention to 4 door RWD cars in the showrooms.

dwasson
03-21-2004, 09:22 AM
One good point about driving 300M is that you won't be able to see how ugly the outside of it is.