PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where to start modding Police Interceptor?

Chayton
07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Salutations, fellow Panther owners,

as many of you may know, a few months ago I got my first panther, a 98 crown victoria p71. Since then I've been absolutely loving the car. Such a blast driving it. Its pretty hard for me to keep my foot out of it! but gas prices have helped me drive it like a granny. Here are some photos I had taken shortly after getting it!

http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws. com/48a427e2bdcb11e2b61322000a1f93 58_7.jpg

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws .com/08276d32beb611e294dc22000ae913 c2_7.jpg

I started with some minor mods, such as custom deck, and a 15" Pioneer type R sub running on a 1200 watt Hifonics amp. Yes, even too much bass for me, I usually keep the sub level on 1 :P also, I had two flowmaster super 40's welded in.

Today I plastidipped the chrome grill, the chrome strip on the back, and did a version of the s55 treatment on the tail lights with plasti dip.

http://i.imgur.com/53SGhRGl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ygQvcbcl.jpg
(I will finish the front chrome piece the next time I have a day off from work.:rolleyes:)

Right now, Im having a few problems figuring what to do next. First of all, the exhaust. The super 40's I had welded in are OK. Added some rumble, but it leaves something to be desired. Point blank, its just not loud enough. I know the exhaust diameter is rather small on the crown vic. Is this whats affecting the loudness? I had to use adapters to fit the mufflers. I keep getting random mixed opinion. Mechanic who does exhaust told me my problem was the mufflers, that the diameter of the pipe didnt matter much, and that larger mufflers are quieter than smaller ones...:confused: What about Aero Turbines? I've heard a lot of positive things about them from members. Will exhaust tips help as well? I want marauder style tips, but dont know what route to go. What about performance? K&N? Tuner? Under drive pulleys? I know 4.10's and a tune are gods gift to Marauders, but I haven't heard much about them on crown vics. I apologize for so many questions guys, (and I hope nobody minds, I would post on the crown vic forum, but I dont want to deal with the drama, and honestly feel at home here :P) I realize that, after lurking on this site for so many years, I know lots about marauders, but not as much about crown victorias lol. Im just a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I hope im not asking for too much, I did A LOT of research myself, but im over my head and lost... If you guys could share your wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.

TLDR: had dual super 40's welded on, not very loud at all. What performance mods should I start with?

Blk04MM
07-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Salutations, fellow Panther owners,

as many of you may know, a few months ago I got my first panther, a 98 crown victoria p71. Since then I've been absolutely loving the car. Such a blast driving it. Its pretty hard for me to keep my foot out of it! but gas prices have helped me drive it like a granny. Here are some photos I had taken shortly after getting it!

http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws. com/48a427e2bdcb11e2b61322000a1f93 58_7.jpg

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws .com/08276d32beb611e294dc22000ae913 c2_7.jpg

I started with some minor mods, such as custom deck, and a 15" Pioneer type R sub running on a 1200 watt Hifonics amp. Yes, even too much bass for me, I usually keep the sub level on 1 :P also, I had two flowmaster super 40's welded in.

Today I plastidipped the chrome grill, the chrome strip on the back, and did a version of the s55 treatment on the tail lights with plasti dip.

http://i.imgur.com/53SGhRGl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ygQvcbcl.jpg
(I will finish the front chrome piece the next time I have a day off from work.:rolleyes:)

Right now, Im having a few problems figuring what to do next. First of all, the exhaust. The super 40's I had welded in are OK. Added some rumble, but it leaves something to be desired. Point blank, its just not loud enough. I know the exhaust diameter is rather small on the crown vic. Is this whats affecting the loudness? I had to use adapters to fit the mufflers. I keep getting random mixed opinion. Mechanic who does exhaust told me my problem was the mufflers, that the diameter of the pipe didnt matter much, and that larger mufflers are quieter than smaller ones...:confused: What about Aero Turbines? I've heard a lot of positive things about them from members. Will exhaust tips help as well? I want marauder style tips, but dont know what route to go. What about performance? K&N? Tuner? Under drive pulleys? I know 4.10's and a tune are gods gift to Marauders, but I haven't heard much about them on crown vics. I apologize for so many questions guys, (and I hope nobody minds, I would post on the crown vic forum, but I dont want to deal with the drama, and honestly feel at home here :P) I realize that, after lurking on this site for so many years, I know lots about marauders, but not as much about crown victorias lol. Im just a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I hope im not asking for too much, I did A LOT of research myself, but im over my head and lost... If you guys could share your wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.

TLDR: had dual super 40's welded on, not very loud at all. What performance mods should I start with?

MY OPINION: flowmasters suck for performance IIRC they flow horrible. Remember sound doesn't= HP --- BUT if you're looking for sound I'm sure a member will chime in with some better options. OEM MEG'S tips are for sale on eBay and here on the board. They'd be nice for a true dual set up

Far as performance ...Pending your current gear ratio I don't see why 3.73 or 4.10s + a tune wouldn't wake up your car.
Id do the basics (CAI, TUNE & GEARS) OR you can search the CV boards as a guest to read up on what others have done to give you an idea about your own car and not have to deal with the drama.

Figure out your plans for your car then mod away. But remember one mod will turn into two, then three ....you get the idea

License2Bill
07-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Check out ADTR.net for some bolt on power upgrades. That's where I got the stuff for my vic a couple years ago

loud2004marquis
07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
I would go with a CAI and a tune first, then 4:10 gears, then SW headers and exhaust. That's what I did in the Marauder and it gave me a chance to appreciate each mod. Plus, it wasn't a bunch of cash thrown at the car right away, easier to upgrade a little at a time.

+1 on ADTR
Chris is a great guy to do bidness with

fastblackmerc
07-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Check out ADTR.net for some bolt on power upgrades. That's where I got the stuff for my vic a couple years ago

MY OPINION: flowmasters suck for performance IIRC they flow horrible. Remember sound doesn't= HP --- BUT if you're looking for sound I'm sure a member will chime in with some better options. OEM MEG'S tips are for sale on eBay and here on the board. They'd be nice for a true dual set up

Far as performance ...Pending your current gear ratio I don't see why 3.73 or 4.10s + a tune wouldn't wake up your car.
Id do the basics (CAI, TUNE & GEARS) OR you can search the CV boards as a guest to read up on what others have done to give you an idea about your own car and not have to deal with the drama.

Figure out your plans for your car then mod away. But remember one mod will turn into two, then three ....you get the idea

I would go with a CAI and a tune first, then 4:10 gears, then SW headers and exhaust. That's what I did in the Marauder and it gave me a chance to appreciate each mod. Plus, it wasn't a bunch of cash thrown at the car right away, easier to upgrade a little at a time.

+1 on ADTR
Chris is a great guy to do bidness with

What ^^^ they ^^^^ said.

Comin' in Hot
07-20-2013, 08:48 AM
The best thing you could do to a police interceptor: remove spotlights..... Nobody likes a whacker :lol:

cat in the hat
07-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I'd probably get a nice tint job while I was deciding :)

Jeffonebuck
07-20-2013, 10:07 AM
^^^What they said.,,,This is a good read that a member put on recently,,http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0909st_increasing_power_output _4_6l_modular_ford_motor/

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-20-2013, 10:29 AM
^^^What they said.,,,This is a good read that a member put on recently,,http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0909st_increasing_power_output _4_6l_modular_ford_motor/

Good read, thanks!

Chayton
07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
The best thing you could do to a police interceptor: remove spotlights..... Nobody likes a whacker :lol:

Nah ill pass, I enjoy having the highway all to myself :) thanks for the advice guys!

Chayton
07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
As far as the mufflers, will those aero turbines be a good investment? Which model #?

RubberCtyRauder
07-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Since you have a 98 , you should switch to PI (performance improved) heads/intake. which i believe came standard in 2001 or 2002 models. They flow better. Are you a member of Crown vic.net? Crown vics are 2V and marauders are 4V..not the same motor at all. Alot of Crown Vic.net members have gone thru the questions you are asking..alot of useful info on there.

Chayton
07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Since you have a 98 , you should switch to PI (performance improved) heads/intake. which i believe came standard in 2001 or 2002 models. They flow better. Are you a member of Crown vic.net? Crown vics are 2V and marauders are 4V..not the same motor at all. Alot of Crown Vic.net members have gone thru the questions you are asking..alot of useful info on there.

Registered for crownvic.net even before I found this site.(im well aware the marauder engine is almost entirely different, in fact, I've told many people that same line myself.) Couldnt log into my account, and when I previously tried to create a new one, it needed some sort of admin approval, which never happened. Im sure over there is where I "belong."

RubberCtyRauder
07-21-2013, 05:40 AM
We're all car enthusiasts here, don't get me wrong, and alot of members here drive Crown Vics as daily drivers and leave the Marauder for weekends. I had 3 crown vics before a Marauder and started at Crownvic.net and I still peruse thru it, just not as active in posting. You may have tried joining when the site owner (admin) became quite ill and was pretty much absent. Things are back to more normal there in terms of new members, (see them all the time on there) You might want to try joining again. We are not trying to push you away, but we may not have the answers to questions you seek. There are a ton of upgraded, modified crown vic owners that know exactly what you seek becasue they know the car.

BAD MERC
07-21-2013, 05:43 AM
You could buy a real Marauder and not pour money into an older car. My dad always told me if I took all the money I spent trying to make regular cars cool, I could afford a cool car.

gdmjoe
07-21-2013, 06:44 AM
PI heads and intake
STEEDA under-drive pulleys
Marauder air-box and MAF with accompanying (and necessary) tune. STRONGLY recommend SCT tuner and a dyno' tune
ported, polished throttle body adapter
70MM throttle body
HPP (21MM) rear stabilizer bar
BTW ... Forget about the CAI ... IMO K&N are one of the worst, so save your $$$$$.

You already have a CAI in the stock air-box, and if you opt for the Marauder's it is the BEST. If you choose not to go the Marauder route, remove the stock snorkle from the front of the air-box, enlarge the opening, and fabricate a snorkle that fits the new, larger size.

Vortech347
07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
4V swap.

10 character limit.

Chayton
07-21-2013, 12:19 PM
You could buy a real Marauder and not pour money into an older car. My dad always told me if I took all the money I spent trying to make regular cars cool, I could afford a cool car.

ive thought about this one too. I figured, do some basic mods to the car which may improve resale value, For the price I paid im almost certain I could profit off the car as it is. My plan was to customize the car a bit, save money from my job, and possibly sell next year and look into getting a marauder. :hmmm: For now im going to enjoy it though :)