PDA

View Full Version : Summer Jobs!

woaface
03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Here's the deal with me and a few friends....

Brandon and I refuse to work fast food (Brandon is the kid with the SC430) and I don't make that money in my current job because I work so few hours.

Taylor ( hatrick168 here on the site) is bored of his job at Eastside Automotive...all he does is change oil and sweep floors for hours and hours and hours on end. It's driving him nuts.

So this summer we're going to detail cars!

We figured we could only manage this on one day of the weekend, changing scheduals depending. $80 a car/$85 for SUVs/$90 for stupidly large van's and SUVs. We can plan on as many as 4 or 5 cars a day although we'll pay some of those retarded taxes. Can only do this one day during the weekend, as Taylor works all week and we need to have a Sunday/Saturday off just incase. Should be fun! I'll make up for equitment with the $$$ I get for mowing the lawn or working in the other business.

This should be great! I know how to do everything else, and we'll all wash my car once or twice so they get down some practice.

Of course this will be wash/wax(x2)/interior sweep-clean-condition on leather/engine will be steam-cleaned/wheels&rims/all and crevices.
AND THE ADDED FREE COMPLEMENTARY GENUINE HANDY DANDY RAIN-X TREATMENT!

:rock: :D

Any suggestions are cool...we love to work hard and we love to do it right!!!

UAW 588
03-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Here's the deal with me and a few friends....

Brandon and I refuse to work fast food (Brandon is the kid with the SC430) and I don't make that money in my current job because I work so few hours.

Taylor ( hatrick168 here on the site) is bored of his job at Eastside Automotive...all he does is change oil and sweep floors for hours and hours and hours on end. It's driving him nuts.

We figured we could only manage this on one day of the weekend, changing scheduals depending. $80 a car/$85 for SUVs/$90 for stupidly large van's and SUVs. We can plan on as many as 4 or 5 cars a day although we'll pay some of those retarded taxes. Can only do this one day during the weekend, as Taylor works all week and we need to have a Sunday/Saturday off just incase. Should be fun! I'll make up for equitment with the $$$ I get for mowing the lawn or working in the other business.

This should be great! I know how to do everything else, and we'll all wash my car once or twice so they get down some practice.

Of course this will be wash/wax(x2)/interior sweep-clean-condition on leather/engine will be steam-cleaned/wheels&rims/all and crevices.

And your point is??????? :lol:

woaface
03-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Just thought it's a great idea...and some of you guys spend a load of time on your cars so if you have any ideas!

IDEAS ARE A GREAT THING!!!

UAW 588
03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
I'll get back to you next time I'm outside with the hose. :coolman: :confused: :help:

CRUZTAKER
03-21-2004, 06:35 PM
I made tons of extra cash detailing cars in my youth. Great idea, get a buffer or two and you can speed up the wax process. I charged $120 for a wax detail, and that got them two coats and a detail. Rubouts were an extra $40. I met my first wife detailing her black celica gts.

I also did pinstriping, mudflaps, engine detail, and carpet cleaning and stain removal. I tried my hand at windshield stone chip removal, and window tinting as well.

Good luck guys, and I am sure you will do a fine job. Maybe make up some business cards and approach folks with red cars that are really oxidized white. The red ones are the easiest to get great results. Blue as well. Stay away from black, unless it's a foriegn car, and you know what you are doing. Learn the technique, call me if you like, you have my numbers, and be prepared to do sample spots to show the prospective customer how you can bring that old paint back to life.

dwasson
03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Must be cool to have a choice.

woaface
03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Now that's a reply!

That was very helpful...I love the whole business thing...I'll come out in kakhies and a tucked in collared shirt:)

We're going to turn this into a bangin' business!

usgecko
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Must be cool to have a choice.

Yep must be nice to be a kid with an SC430 and to be able to afford to pick and choose...........

woaface
03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Yep must be nice to be a kid with an SC430 and to be able to afford to pick and choose...........
Oh, yeah...the father got tired of it when he got a 2001 Porsche 911...it's the family's car but mostly he goes to college....

hatrick68
03-21-2004, 09:16 PM
We're really ready to get this "buisness" on its way. I dont know if i could have come along at a better time for all of us. I mean we're teenagers and all we want is money and something to do w/ it. So thanks to everyone who gives any suggestions, im sure it'll help. Hopefully it'll become as successful as we want it too. Again, thanks.

jgc61sr2002
03-21-2004, 09:56 PM
James and company. Good Luck :rock:

lgetz
03-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Quick tip for ya James. Dilute 1 part Castrol Super Clean or Simple Green w/ water. Spray it on any real grungy stains liberally whether its on the carpet, upholstery or door panels. Take a shammy and rub and rub. Make sure to turn and rinse the shammy clean regularly. Stains will come out easily. :bounce:

woaface
03-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Crap! That's right...people have stains too!

Looosers! (them anyways)

Thanks man!

67435animal
03-22-2004, 02:17 AM

My son does this at a local dealership and has also learned about painting and a little body work. You're going to have a ball.

Bob

Ross
03-22-2004, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=CRUZTAKER]I made tons of extra cash detailing cars in my youth. Great idea, get a buffer or two and you can speed up the wax process. I charged $120 for a wax detail, and that got them two coats and a detail. Rubouts were an extra $40. I met my first wife detailing her black celica gts.

I would be VERY careful if you use a buffer. Unless you are very experienced with them, and very careful, you can do a lot of damage very quickly to a car's finish. I don't know your level of experience, but if power buffing isn't something you have done a lot of, you could be opening yourself up to having to fix some damage to a customer's car. I see a lot of cars driving around with bad swirl marks which were obviously caused by power buffing.

On the other hand, I'm always glad to see young entrepreneurs who aren't afraid to do some honest labor to make a buck. Hats off to you and your friends!

woaface
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks Ross...we were thinking about getting a $10 buffer from wal-mart to start with...you know, the one's that aren't powerful enough to burn paint? My brother can show me, he did detail work at a caddy dealership when he was my age.:up:

Haggis
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Good luck James and gang, Hey the James Gang!! Nah, that's already taken. Oh, and if you think I am going to let you touch my car you must be :censor: CRAZY, no one, but Ladyhawke and I wash our cars. I did let the dealer wash it before he handed me the keys, but told him not to wax it. Well have fun and good luck again. :up:

DONP1217
03-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I would really do your homework before you start this "business". You are opening your parents up to huge liability if you damage someone's car.

Do you have insurance, a business license, water reclamtion mats etc.? Do you know how to use that buffer you are going to buy? Do you know the difference between a polish, wax, and paint sealant? Do you know the difference between a rotary and orbital buffer? Do you know what kind of polishing pads and towels you'll need to use so you won't leave scratches all over someone's car? Do you know what chemicals to use on the windows so you won't leave streaks all over the windows?

You do know that you can't just dump the waste water on the ground. Since you are operating as a business the EPA mandates that you must capture all your waste run off and dispose of it in a sanitary sewer. You'll need to spend about $750.00 on a water reclamation mat and find someone who will let you dump your waste water in their sanitary sewer. You'll also need a container to transport your waste water off site. Hack job mobile "detail" businesses violate this law all the time but if you get caught you could be looking at thousands in fines.

I am not trying to be critical, you just need to know what you are getting into.

Paul T. Casey
03-23-2004, 10:35 AM
:up: I like the Idea of ambition. Suggestions, California Squeegee, to remove the water when you finish washing. Works great, even if I can't spell squeegee. Also, offer a deal for the quick spray on type of wax, I know most of the wax companies make it, it's quick and gives a good if temporary shine. I wouldn't do the power buffer thing, tell the people you're into the "good old fashioned elbow grease shine." For a volume oriented business like this, pick an easy on easy off wax. Don't use the stuff in the can with the little sponge, unless you're going to get top pay for it. The effort required to apply and remove will eat up your hourly rate. Offer maybe a "basic" (or whatever term you like) using the spray on stuff, a "deluxe" using the liquid, and maybe a supreme (not Mary Wilson) using the paste. It's up to you guys though, just figured I'd drop a couple ideas like you asked.

Ross
03-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I forgot the California Squeegee. That gets a lot of water off quickly and makes drying a lot quicker. When you're after volume, anything you can do to increase your speed means more $$$. Another thought. When several guys are working on a project together, people sometimes tend to get in each other's way. Have a plan before you start about who will do what part of the job, in what order. Plan your work and work your plan. A team compliments each other, but a bunch of guys just gets in each other's way. :up:

Dr Caleb
03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Now that's a reply!

That was very helpful...I love the whole business thing...I'll come out in kakhies and a tucked in collared shirt:)

No Belt! Or better yet, Sweats. If you scratch the paint they'll be ticked!!

Krytin
03-23-2004, 05:01 PM
A lot of good replies here!
Start out with a low speed buffer - really a wax applicator - saves a lot of time, Buy plenty of extra bonnets/applicators/buffers - they clean up nice in the wash!
Sweats - absolutely. Even wrist watches and jewelery can create an unwanted scratch.
"Plan your work and work your plan." Single best piece of advice!
I think you could probably charge more money - maybe $90 to $150 - cars to behemoths!
Good luck! You never know - a career can be made in this business!

woaface
03-24-2004, 07:02 AM
I meant coming out in nice clothes when I'm just there to show them how it works at all.

Applicator pads...yes, they do come out clean in the wash...gah you need to buy a ton though! I needed around 12 to hand wax my neighbors expedition, and do the interior seats. You never realize how big that thing is until you sit up top!

As for "do I know what I'm doing" Hmm, I'll have to find out more about that recapturing, and whether it's a reality here, because I've never heard of it or seen anyone do it around this place.

Not only did Cruztaker help me out immensly, and also my sister who has run me through the basics since I was 10....I know this girl who's dad run's a detail business, he is allowing the three of us come out and watch him work and teach us exactly how to use a buffer. I'll be getting a cheaper orbital and not a high-speed.

Buffing is the only thing I'm a little vague on since I've never actually done it, but in theory, as long as I pay attention and use some common sense and remember what Barry said...I'll be good to go. I WILL have practice on this before I start with anyone elses car and the guy's (taylor and brandon) will practice on brandon's SC430, taylors Explorer and my Marquis each twice before we head out.

We're going to plan this down to a T and make sure we have all the in's and out's figured out and in.

Business License...because I'm confined to a small area and all of us are under 18...I am 99% sure I don't need one, but I'm planning on going up to the county buildings to find out this weekend or such.

Do you think a recaputurer mat would be needed when it's a "come to you" service? I'm doing this at the clients house, in their driveway.

Did I cover everything?:lol:

I didn't see this as critical...at least it was mentioned first, I need to know everything before I start.

Thank you everyone for every little bit you have to put in:up: :rock: :rasta:

metroplex
03-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Tell your friend to sell the SC430 - buy a Geo Metro, a REAL college guy's car. :)

woaface
03-25-2004, 02:49 PM
He said

"Let me think about it...uh....no."

metroplex
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
He said

"Let me think about it...uh....no."

Think of all the beer you could buy...

I'm just trying to get your college student priorities straight ;) :) :)

Ross
03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Tell your friend to sell the SC430 - buy a Geo Metro, a REAL college guy's car. :)

Dude, you can't get girls in a Metro! :up:

STLThunder
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I would really do your homework before you start this "business". You are opening your parents up to huge liability if you damage someone's car.

Do you have insurance, a business license, water reclamtion mats etc.? Do you know how to use that buffer you are going to buy? Do you know the difference between a polish, wax, and paint sealant? Do you know the difference between a rotary and orbital buffer? Do you know what kind of polishing pads and towels you'll need to use so you won't leave scratches all over someone's car? Do you know what chemicals to use on the windows so you won't leave streaks all over the windows?

You do know that you can't just dump the waste water on the ground. Since you are operating as a business the EPA mandates that you must capture all your waste run off and dispose of it in a sanitary sewer. You'll need to spend about $750.00 on a water reclamation mat and find someone who will let you dump your waste water in their sanitary sewer. You'll also need a container to transport your waste water off site. Hack job mobile "detail" businesses violate this law all the time but if you get caught you could be looking at thousands in fines.

I am not trying to be critical, you just need to know what you are getting into.

WOW, what happened to a "summer job"? No disrepect, but it seems like you're taking all the fun out of these guys showing a little intiative and ambition. :nono: I don't think they're talking about incorporating and issuing an IPO and I don't think they'll get in trouble doing this in their customer's own driveways.

Go for it guys! :rock: My only advice is, in addition to doing an excellent job, is to be VERY courteous, professional and neatly dressed at all times. Remember, treat every car you detail as it were your own.

Best of luck! :up:

woaface
03-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah dude, you can't get girl(s) in a metro!

Watermatch recaputurerrrrr...rrr. Don't need one. Taxes...we won't make enough for the IRS to care since it's a one season stand.

woaface
03-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Go for it guys! :rock: My only advice is, in addition to doing an excellent job, is to be VERY courteous, professional and neatly dressed at all times. Remember, treat every car you detail as it were your own.
For the time we wash them, they are our cars. And we're ALWAYS curteous and professional and neatly dressed. :)

STLThunder
03-26-2004, 05:09 PM
For the time we wash them, they are our cars. And we're ALWAYS curteous and professional and neatly dressed. :)

I'm sure you are :up: , I'm just an old man who can't help giving out advice :lol: Forgive me! :bows:

Haggis
03-27-2004, 08:35 AM

..you break it you bought it.

Good luck! And NO you still can not wash my car!! :lol:

woaface
03-27-2004, 10:32 AM
You watch man! I'ma jump your car in the middle of the night and you'll wake up in the morning sayin'

HOLY *****! THE SUN IS IN MY DRIVEWAY! I'VE BEEN BLINDED IT'S SO BRIGHT!!! GAH! THIS KID DESERVES THE KEYS TO MY RIDE FOR A WEEK FOR THIS!
Or

This kid has one wild imagination! What a great asset he is here...maybe he should take the keys to my car for a week!:D

Haggis
03-27-2004, 10:46 AM
You watch man! I'ma jump your car in the middle of the night and you'll wake up in the morning sayin'

HOLY *****! That little SOB stole my car... :fire: !!! GAH! THIS KID DESERVES TO GET A BOOT UP HIS ARSE! Honey sharpen your swords. We're agoing a Woaface hunting!! :uzi:
Or

This kid has one wild imagination! Think he can steel my car and get away with it! All b*lls and no brains, I'll teach him

Nice try!! :D

Donny Carlson
03-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah dude, you can't get girl(s) in a metro!
Actually, you can, only it's much more challenging.:coolman:

Trust me. I still have the marks on my butt from the seats in my volkswagen, and that was 30 years ago!