PDA

View Full Version : My "Old" Cobra Spins At Roebling.....YIKES!!

Marauderjack
08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
The guy that bought my Cobra replica back in the Winter has upgraded the brakes since he said it had way more "Go" than "Whoa" took it back to Roebling Road Course near Savannah yesterday.

He ran up on a Mazda and eventually blasted by him but the Mazda drifted right and put him in the sand at 100+ MPH.......around he went!!:eek:

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51aXhFvBM8&feature=youtu.be

He said he crouched down as low as possible in case it did some rolls but luckily it stayed upright and unscathed!!:beer: He went in to check it out and back out for a few more laps.....managed a top speed of 140 MPH down the straight.....scared to push it too far!!:shake:

Be careful out there Chip!!:beer:

JoeBoomz
08-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Judging by the marks in the grass, that corner causes some issues :)

Marauderjack
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Chip said it's a marsh with all the rain lately.....lucky he didn't get into the deep stuff!!:beer:

Joe Walsh
08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
The guy that bought my Cobra replica back in the Winter has upgraded the brakes since he said it had way more "Go" than "Whoa" took it back to Roebling Road Course near Savannah yesterday.

He ran up on a Mazda and eventually blasted by him but the Mazda drifted right and put him in the sand at 100+ MPH.......around he went!!:eek:

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51aXhFvBM8&feature=youtu.be

He said he crouched down as low as possible in case it did some rolls but luckily it stayed upright and unscathed!!:beer: He went in to check it out and back out for a few more laps.....
managed a top speed of 140 MPH down the straight.....scared to push it too far!!:shake:

Be careful out there Chip!!:beer:

:eek:

Scary stuff watching that video!

My brother and I have raced our Cobra at multiple SAAC track events.
The high profile (60 series) street radials get hot and feel 'greasy' after only @ 3 laps....after that you have to slow wayyyyy down in the corners.....:drive:
Now I know why most guys run racing tires at these events!

Also, when you get over 125 mph the Cobra's crappy aerodynamics make it start to lift and it feels really, really light....it's hairy driving it over 130mph.

After our first SAAC event experience, we had the utmost respect for drivers like Ken Miles who ran 427 Cobras, at full speed, for hours, on old school Goodyear racing tires...:bows:

BTW: What color is that sweet sounding Cobra?

Marauderjack
08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Joe,

The Green is a Taurus color from the late 90's called Pacific Green.....really pretty in the Sunlight!!

beantown mm
08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Man, he got lucky on that spin for sure, amen to that.......

The vid looked like he was clear of the Mazda by a ton cause he blasted by him pretty easy, I am not Jackie Stewart however and looks can be deceiving for sure..........

Marauderjack
08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
GoPro camera with wide angle lens but I think he blasted by the Mazda and lost his concentration for a second (testosterone moment) and got out of the "groove" and into some sand at the edge of the track then over corrected.......ooops!!!:eek:

WhatsUpDOHC
08-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Possible cold tires?

Marauderjack
08-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Possible cold tires?

Ambient was in the 90's so I doubt that cold tires were a factor.......he just got a little wild when he passed the Mazda!!:burnout: