PDA

View Full Version : Intake behind the grill

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Seen it on a crown vic. (CVN) and it looked pretty good. Even more the user said it ran a whole lot better. Colder air not being trapped under the hot a** hood.

Any reason it's not been done to a MM?

Before all of the "it won't fit" talk starts. YES IT WILL. That's what prompt the member to do it. He kept reading it can't be done. All he said he did was lower the radiator 1inch and it went right in.

SC Cheesehead
08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Seen it on a crown vic. (CVN) and it looked pretty good. Even more the user said it ran a whole lot better. Colder air not being trapped under the hot a** hood.

Any reason it's not been done to a MM?

Before all of the "it won't fit" talk starts. YES IT WILL. That's what prompt the member to do it. He kept reading it can't be done. All he said he did was lower the radiator 1inch and it went right in.

Pictures would help...

RacerX
08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm actually working on my air intake being much lower and more up front for cooler air. You want the straightest pipe for the longest distance possible in front of the MAF though.

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Pictures would help...

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/blk04mm/photo3_zps6455abc3.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/blk04mm/media/photo3_zps6455abc3.jpg.html)

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/blk04mm/photo2_zps9e2c282d.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/blk04mm/media/photo2_zps9e2c282d.jpg.html)

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/blk04mm/photo1_zps2f5a8aae.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/blk04mm/media/photo1_zps2f5a8aae.jpg.html)

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm actually working on my air intake being much lower and more up front for cooler air. You want the straightest pipe for the longest distance possible in front of the MAF though.

Nice. Any pics?

whitey
08-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Is it good to cover/ restrict that much airflow through the radiator?

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Is it good to cover/ restrict that much airflow through the radiator?

Doesn't look too covered to me. Plenty room to get hit by air

RacerX
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice. Any pics?
Soon! Parts will be shipping soon! ;)

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Soon! Parts will be shipping soon! ;)

Definitely will keep an eye out for em

RichardP
08-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Looks like a good setup. Cant see any reason in wouldn't work on ours.

RichardP
08-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Very clean car/engine by the way.

Comin' in Hot
08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
I would be afraid of sucking water into the intake if it rains and cracking a piston

RichardP
08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
It looks like the heat shield has turned into a "rain shield". I wonder if it would protect from up splash and torrential downpours?

Comin' in Hot
08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
It looks like the heat shield has turned into a "rain shield". I wonder if it would protect from up splash and torrential downpours?

I doubt it, just for reference, the DR vortech water to air cars have the intake behind the passenger side fog light, I know of at least one member that sucked in water in a torrential downpour and cracked a piston. The passenger side is the one with the splash shield in the wheel well, it is sealed up pretty well down there.

1Marauder
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
responses, comments and questions in order of thought:
1) Please make all of the parts BLACK so they match the underhood
2) Let's find a small marauder sticker / logo to apply so it looks more stock (Air/smog police)
3) This seems really cool!!!
4) Might need ome kind of H2O deflector-simple filter... although all of the older cowl induction system auto's ran this way
5) Someone actually drives thier marauder in the rain???? LOL LOL LOL--Yes I live where the sun shines... just joking around. I hate my car to get wet when I wash it!

screamn
08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Looks good! Nice craftsmanship.

But curious about the airflow to radiator...in city traffic and stop & go traffic?

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I would be afraid of sucking water into the intake if it rains and cracking a piston

Me too but I'm sure there are ways to prevent.

Next time it rains I'll check that area of the car to see how wet it gets back there. In the rain the car shouldn't be under heavy load anyway so I don't see how water would get sucked up in there but I will check its suppose to rain tomorrow

I doubt it, just for reference, the DR vortech water to air cars have the intake behind the passenger side fog light, I know of at least one member that sucked in water in a torrential downpour and cracked a piston. The passenger side is the one with the splash shield in the wheel well, it is sealed up pretty well down there.

That sucks. The driver side is sealed up but it's still hot in there.

responses, comments and questions in order of thought:
1) Please make all of the parts BLACK so they match the underhood
2) Let's find a small marauder sticker / logo to apply so it looks more stock (Air/smog police)
3) This seems really cool!!!
4) Might need ome kind of H2O deflector-simple filter... although all of the older cowl induction system auto's ran this way
5) Someone actually drives thier marauder in the rain???? LOL LOL LOL--Yes I live where the sun shines... just joking around. I hate my car to get wet when I wash it!

I'd PC the pipe black and call it a day. It'll blend itself in I wouldn't bother with a logo being it won't be centered back there although one can mock up whatever length they want.

ctrlraven
08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
By moving the intake filter to the front of the car like that it's only benefit is when the car is moving. Yes water could get in that.

Relocate the air pump, create a splash guard for the driver wheel well, extend intake pipe down behind the driver fog light area. Get the filter low and away from heat.

A true cold air intake system relocates the filter outside of the engine compartment to deliver the coldest air inlet temperatures possible. Being in front of the radiator is still being close to a radiant heat source.

Marauderjack
08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I see no measurable benefit doing this and possibly more problems as stated above....leave it where it is and spend $$$'s elsewhere!!:beer:

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 03:02 PM
By moving the intake filter to the front of the car like that it's only benefit is when the car is moving. Yes water could get in that.

Relocate the air pump, create a splash guard for the driver wheel well, extend intake pipe down behind the driver fog light area. Get the filter low and away from heat.

A true cold air intake system relocates the filter outside of the engine compartment to deliver the coldest air inlet temperatures possible. Being in front of the radiator is still being close to a radiant heat source.

I wonder why one was never made for the marauder

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I see no measurable benefit doing this and possibly more problems as stated above....leave it where it is and spend $$$'s elsewhere!!:beer:

It'll be free... Just was an idea anyway. Definitely can use a "colder" intake in Florida heat it's been 101-103 past 3 days in my area

L.Mark
08-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Not a big fan of it being that visible through the grill...

fastblackmerc
08-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Not a big fan of it being that visible through the grill...

Same here... and who wants a BIG drain pipe in the engine compartment that sticks out like a sore thumb?

whitey
08-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Ill second that amendment, and Ctrlraven too. The only way i could see it as beneficial is if it was scooping air. In the picture it looks covered. Also with all of the turns added in the piping it might not even force air in too well, since all those bends cause drag. This is just theory and in the end it might make more power than i think but for as for me, a daily driver, not applicable.

ctrlraven
08-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I wonder why one was never made for the marauder
Because it's a lot more involved than just a plug-n-play intake such as the K&N and JLT are, it involves moderate modification.

RichardP
08-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Up until a couple months ago I thought I had broke off that splash shield on the drivers side..it drove me crazy until I found out it was never there to begin with!!!! LOL

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Because it's a lot more involved than just a plug-n-play intake such as the K&N and JLT are, it involves moderate modification.

Got ya

Up until a couple months ago I thought I had broke off that splash shield on the drivers side..it drove me crazy until I found out it was never there to begin with!!!! LOL

Lol

sailsmen
08-13-2013, 06:17 PM
How is it better than the MM OEM?

boatmangc
08-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Did it to my Mark8 worked really well. I adapted the snorkel from an early 90s F150 cut a little sheet metal and fit in in front of themA/C condenser, looked like it belonged there.

Blk04MM
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Did it to my Mark8 worked really well. I adapted the snorkel from an early 90s F150 cut a little sheet metal and fit in in front of themA/C condenser, looked like it belonged there.

How'd it do on rainy days and hot days with stop and go traffic?

O's Fan Rich
08-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I relocated the air pump to the trunk and made a custom heat shield. That was awhile ago!