PDA

View Full Version : What else do you tinker with?

Green96
08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Other than cars, what else do you habitually "improve"?

For me it is the house and computer related improvements. for example:

Laptop gives me trouble but the Windows key has worn off the bottom - I install an OS that nobody has even heard of. I have been running Mint 14 for about 6 months.

Router gives me trouble- I install open source firmware called DD-WRT.

House humidity won't go down in the summer because the A/C is working too well - I study the blower settings and turn down my blower to make it run longer to get to temp. (caution - do not change your heater related blower speed because it can cause your furnace to overheat)

House humidity too low in the winter - I install whole house humidification systems upstairs and down.

Should I go on, or have I outed myself as a dork?

MOTOWN
08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I fix anything i can get my paws on, cars, houses, computers, women! lol

whitey
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
ive become an e-cig junkie lately. stopped smoking april 26th, and will never go back to a real cig. I like tinkering with EVERYTHING that I can afford to break and replace if need be, my wife doesn't understand why I cant just leave stuff alone....she doesn't understand that if I can make it better, I will.

MyBlackBeasts
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
One of the advantages of natural mechanical aptitude and decades of professional wrenching on every possible type of vehicle is I do everything for myself.

Cars, trucks, new/old, domestic/imports, Semi's, trailers, refers, heavy equipment, rough/finish carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, boats, small engine, apliances, electronics, computers (build them as a hobby), I do all IT and networked my business offices.

The only thing I pay someone else to do is something requiring equipment to costly to get for myself - like alignment.

You name it, I've worked on it.

Was helping my daddy repair/rebuild cars before I could walk.

I have saved my family, friends & myself hundreds of thousands of $$$ over the years.

(Thanks Dad! :D)

Curless
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I love anything with an engine! I have John Deere 2 cylinder tractors, Quads (atv's), Motorcycles...etc etc

RoyLPita
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I seem to be fixing bicycles nowadays.

Green96
08-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Somehow I have never dived into an engine any deeper that the intake manifold and I am completely convinced that if I ever took apart a small engine it would be done for. I am an engineer, so I could design one, but I do not want to take one apart.

Nicegy525
08-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I buy and sell cars on the side, Volunteer with the local motorcycle racing club as a corner worker, work on house upgrades as I can afford to.

My son and my dog take up most of my time though.

RichardP
08-14-2013, 11:48 PM
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4716/8vn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/8vn5.jpg/)

Built this guy around two years ago for around $800 . Still more powerful than today's $3000 store bought PCs.

Blackened300a
08-15-2013, 06:44 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8338/8166396587_a2e32f54a0_z.jpg

These for the city of NY. Otherwise its a lot of models and Lego technic kits.

bigcowl-imp
08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I use to get into racing these years ago..

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/bigcowl-imp/moped026.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/bigcowl-imp/media/moped026.jpg.html)

Haggis
08-15-2013, 08:20 AM
DNA, I like to tinker with different species.

Ozark Marauder
08-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Other than cars, what else do you habitually "improve"?

For me it is the house and computer related improvements. for example:

Laptop gives me trouble but the Windows key has worn off the bottom - I install an OS that nobody has even heard of. I have been running Mint 14 for about 6 months.

Router gives me trouble- I install open source firmware called DD-WRT.

House humidity won't go down in the summer because the A/C is working too well - I study the blower settings and turn down my blower to make it run longer to get to temp. (caution - do not change your heater related blower speed because it can cause your furnace to overheat)

House humidity too low in the winter - I install whole house humidification systems upstairs and down.

Should I go on, or have I outed myself as a dork?

Nadia is nice, but Olivia is now on the scene, with some crazy glitches, waiting for Petra. As a Windows refugee, Mint is the last bastion of non-commercialized Linux......

OZ

martyo
08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Nadia is nice, but Olivia is now on the scene, with some crazy glitches, waiting for Petra. As a Windows refugee, Mint is the last bastion of non-commercialized Linux......

OZ

I love it when you talk techie to me!!!! :D

Green96
08-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I use to get into racing these years ago..

Nice. I have had various electric models over the years. We just got my son a Slash for his birthday. He is still getting used to it so the speed control is set to limit him to 1/2 speed. He has no idea so shhh.

Green96
08-15-2013, 02:22 PM

OZ

I tried Ubuntu first, but I had too many issues getting it set up the way I wanted. For my Mint 14 just worked. It boots insanely fast. It is on an older Dell laptop, but it is new enough to have a Core i3 processor and I added a solid state drive. It is no good for gaming, but instant on web surfing and e-mail are flawless.