PDA

View Full Version : Crown victoria question

ARodmarauder
08-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a 06 crown victoria engine for my 99. My question is will my stock computer work for that engine or will I need to get a new one? Any input is much appreciated. TIA

RubberCtyRauder
08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm going to guess no....06 is DBW and has PI heads etc..99 is Non PI and throttle linkage so the pcm is different. I'm not exactly sure on this..some things might need transferred over from the 99 to the 06 and it might work..maybe someone else will know.Crownvic.net will prolly know

ARodmarauder
08-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm going to guess no....06 is DBW and has PI heads etc..99 is Non PI and throttle linkage so the pcm is different. I'm not exactly sure on this..some things might need transferred over from the 99 to the 06 and it might work..maybe someone else will know.Crownvic.net will prolly know

Yeah I'm going to ask there also.

RubberCtyRauder
08-15-2013, 09:05 PM
I think it can work, but I'm pretty certain certain items from the 99 will need swapped over. Not just a quick pull and swap, just alittle more involved and I think it can be done

RF Overlord
08-15-2013, 11:12 PM
You'll need the PCM and wiring harness from the '06 for sure. You'll also need the accelerator pedal assembly, and probably need to do some mods on the transmission control electrics unless you also swap in the transmission from the '06.

I think '06 is CAN bus as well, so you may lose contact with the LCM, EATC, and RCM...

The other option is to just use the '06 short-block and swap everything over from your current motor.

ARodmarauder
08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
You'll need the PCM and wiring harness from the '06 for sure. You'll also need the accelerator pedal assembly, and probably need to do some mods on the transmission control electrics unless you also swap in the transmission from the '06.

I think '06 is CAN bus as well, so you may lose contact with the LCM, EATC, and RCM...

The other option is to just use the '06 short-block and swap everything over from your current motor.

Yeah I thought about doing that type of swap especially since it's a PI engine. It comes with trans too and my 99 is in desperate need of one.

larryo340
08-16-2013, 06:06 PM
I would use the long block from the 06, but use your intake plenum, throttlebody, fuel injectors and rail. I believe you would also have to use the 99 exhaust manifolds.

ARodmarauder
08-16-2013, 06:28 PM
I would use the long block from the 06, but use your intake plenum, throttlebody, fuel injectors and rail. I believe you would also have to use the 99 exhaust manifolds.

Yeah that's probably what I'm going to have to do, but wouldn't the intake from the 06 be better because it's a PI engine?

larryo340
08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Yeah that's probably what I'm going to have to do, but wouldn't the intake from the 06 be better because it's a PI engine?
Don't swap the intake manifold...just the "elbow" between the throttle body and manifold.

stryker
08-18-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm going to guess no....06 is DBW and has PI heads etc..99 is Non PI and throttle linkage so the pcm is different. I'm not exactly sure on this..some things might need transferred over from the 99 to the 06 and it might work..maybe someone else will know.Crownvic.net will prolly know :confused: What means DBW ?????

RubberCtyRauder
08-18-2013, 06:53 PM
DBW = Drive By Wire..No throttle cable, done electronically

fireandice9008
08-19-2013, 01:38 PM
I feel useful for once! :banana: I've done this EXACT swap...well, mine was a 2000, but they're the same. Also, should you need any misc. parts, let me know...i've got a ton of stuff left over.

Going off memory from 2-3 yrs ago, so bear with me here. Off the '99, you'll need the throttle body, intake manifolds, top end wiring, most of your drive belt accessories. You'll also want to swap the exhaust manifolds, the '06s are too much change to make it work. Trust me. EDIT: Actually, with the exception of the water pump, you'll want all your drive belt stuff.

Off the '06 you'll keep at least the intake manifold, water pump. Keep the '06 PCV valve too, you'll have to do some creative plumbing to get it to work. I ended up with a tube off some Chebby something or other...

BUT, to answer your question, YES, the 99 computer will run the 06 engine, provided you swap the harness over. There's a few plugs that you'll no longer need, and you won't be able to take advantage of the knock sensor on the '06, but it will run it just fine. To fully take advantage of the better motor have a custom tune done, but I never did. I drove it in '00/'06 configuration for a year, sold it, then it got sold again. It's going on 3.5 years running like that with no issues (that i'm aware of). Actually saw it this past weekend while joyriding. I stopped to let the Marauder pay respect to it's predecessor :bows:

Need anything else (really cheap parts included) just speak up!

ARodmarauder
08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
I feel useful for once! :banana: I've done this EXACT swap...well, mine was a 2000, but they're the same. Also, should you need any misc. parts, let me know...i've got a ton of stuff left over.

Going off memory from 2-3 yrs ago, so bear with me here. Off the '99, you'll need the throttle body, intake manifolds, top end wiring, most of your drive belt accessories. You'll also want to swap the exhaust manifolds, the '06s are too much change to make it work. Trust me. EDIT: Actually, with the exception of the water pump, you'll want all your drive belt stuff.

Off the '06 you'll keep at least the intake manifold, water pump. Keep the '06 PCV valve too, you'll have to do some creative plumbing to get it to work. I ended up with a tube off some Chebby something or other...

BUT, to answer your question, YES, the 99 computer will run the 06 engine, provided you swap the harness over. There's a few plugs that you'll no longer need, and you won't be able to take advantage of the knock sensor on the '06, but it will run it just fine. To fully take advantage of the better motor have a custom tune done, but I never did. I drove it in '00/'06 configuration for a year, sold it, then it got sold again. It's going on 3.5 years running like that with no issues (that i'm aware of). Actually saw it this past weekend while joyriding. I stopped to let the Marauder pay respect to it's predecessor :bows:

Need anything else (really cheap parts included) just speak up!

Ok cool definitely got a lot of advice. I got the engine and trans for $450 so I couldn't say no. So when it comes to harness, I use the 99 one?

fireandice9008
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, use the one from the 99. There's gonna be a few differences, but nothing major. Also, forgot to add that you'll have to drill and tap the 06 intake for the coolant temp sensor. And all this is using your original trans, from what I researched I couldn't use the 06 trans, too difficult a swap.

That's an awesome deal btw.

babbage
08-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a 06 crown victoria engine for my 99. My question is will my stock computer work for that engine or will I need to get a new one? Any input is much appreciated. TIA

Yes that engine will work. Keep your thottlebody, intake plenum, throttle linkage. Use your 99 computer. I think the oil pan is different, so save that from your 99 too. Use your 99 transmission as that changed too. The rest of the sensors should plug and play. I've never done the swap, but check on crownvic.net, it's doable.

Edit: didn't read all the posts. But you get the idea. Good luck. 450 is a good deal. Oh yeah, do replace the tensioners and guides (easy when motor is out!)
Depending on mileage.

ARodmarauder
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes that engine will work. Keep your thottlebody, intake plenum, throttle linkage. Use your 99 computer. I think the oil pan is different, so save that from your 99 too. Use your 99 transmission as that changed too. The rest of the sensors should plug and play. I've never done the swap, but check on crownvic.net, it's doable.

Edit: didn't read all the posts. But you get the idea. Good luck. 450 is a good deal. Oh yeah, do replace the tensioners and guides (easy when motor is out!)
Depending on mileage.

The engine has around 10000 miles, you think I should change them with that mileage?

fireandice9008
08-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Good point, you will want your 99 oil pan. You'll also want the 99 motor mounts, but if they're anything like mine were, have a new set waiting. I got NOS OEM ones off ebay for 40 or 50 bucks. I'm just trying to think of things that caused me delays...

I wouldn't stress the timing stuff on the newer block, especially if the mileage is good. I would however change out the oil cooler adapter gasket, those are known to fail and look like you've got major issues.

fireandice9008
08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
The engine has around 10000 miles, you think I should change them with that mileage?

Nope, unless you've got reason to believe they're bad. They're a pain, and there's a lot of room to go wrong with the mod motors.

babbage
08-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Only 10K - Ahem no. Geesh Put a blower on that puppy! It's not broke in yet!

If 100K then yes, take a peak at the tensioners and guides. Very easy to do with engine out of panther.

Good luck!

ARodmarauder
08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Only 10K - Ahem no. Geesh Put a blower on that puppy! It's not broke in yet!

If 100K then yes, take a peak at the tensioners and guides. Very easy to do with engine out of panther.

Good luck!

Lol I wish I could but I have smog that I need to be able to pass first. Then maybe think about putting a blower on it