PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Haarlem

SC Cheesehead
08-17-2013, 08:08 AM
All-expense paid trip to Haarlem, Netherlands for the next two weeks. Leaving this afternoon.

Oh well, better than Sandland...:rolleyes:

RubberCtyRauder
08-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Look up Sven and Olie while you are there..I hear they have a ton of jokes:lol:

SC Cheesehead
08-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Look up Sven and Olie while you are there..I hear they have a ton of jokes:lol:

Ja hey, I hear dat Olie's sellin' his toilet brush...

SC Cheesehead
08-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Semi-uneventful trip over. One of the passengers from ATL to AMS got really sick right before take-off, and the flight was delayed about an hour while paramedics took care of it.

Got to the hotel, gonna take a nap; I never sleep worth a darn on these long trips.

TAKEDOWN
08-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you'll enjoy yourself out there!

cat in the hat
08-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Don't forget to do the "Harlem Shake" while you're there ;)

SC Cheesehead
08-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Intense assignment, but enjoying the sights and sounds when I'm not at work. Here's a few pics for you.

The hotel were I'm staying.

Typical Dutch architecture.

Dutch canals. Our Haarlem office is in the background of the third picture.

Street cafes after work hours. We've been stopping at one on the way home each evening for dinner and a beer or two.

Oh, and BTW, gas is 1.739 Euros per litre here, that's equivilant to $8.79 per gallon US.

Marauderjack
08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Intense assignment, but enjoying the sights and sounds when I'm not at work. Here's a few pics for you.

The hotel were I'm staying.

Typical Dutch architecture.

Dutch canals. Our Haarlem office is in the background of the third picture.

Street cafes after work hours. We've been stopping at one on the way home each evening for dinner and a beer or two.

Oh, and BTW, gas is 1.739 Euros per litre here, that's equivilant to $8.79 per gallon US.

Nothing is FROZEN.......people in shorts.......stay cool Rex!!:eek::beer:

IwantmyMMnow!
08-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey Rex, it would be great if you could smuggle a couple Dutch lassies back wit' ya...one blonde and one brunette should do the trick. Thanks...

:D

Bigdogjim
08-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah Rex I hear ya! Work suck some days:lol:

SC Cheesehead
08-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Hey Rex, it would be great if you could smuggle a couple Dutch lassies back wit' ya...one blonde and one brunette should do the trick. Thanks...

:D

WERD! There are some highly attractive ladies over here.

License2Bill
08-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I thought this was a typo in the thread title and you were actually going to be in Harlem aka NYC. You should buy a pair of wooden shoes!

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 12:03 AM
I thought this was a typo in the thread title and you were actually going to be in Harlem aka NYC. You should buy a pair of wooden shoes!

I've been looking, no luck so far...:(

Haggis
08-23-2013, 04:16 AM
The man on the bicycle in the second picture is looking at you thinkingl;

"Hey large man wearing suspenders, do you like my pink shirt...;) ?"

IwantmyMMnow!
08-23-2013, 05:03 AM
The man on the bicycle in the second picture is looking at you thinkingl;

"Hey large man wearing suspenders, do you like my pink shirt...;) ?"

No...he's thinking "Hallo grote man met bretels, vind je mijn roze shirt?"...I am 1/4 Dutch, which is why I had to use Google translate....:D

Hey Rex, how's the food?

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 05:18 AM
No...he's thinking "Hallo grote man met bretels, vind je mijn roze shirt?"...I am 1/4 Dutch, which is why I had to use Google translate....:D

Hey Rex, how's the food?

Food's so-so, the beer is OUTSTANDING! Have found at least five that I love, and the rest, well I guess I just really like them... ;) ----------> :D

WhatsUpDOHC
08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Food's so-so, the beer is OUTSTANDING! Have found at least five that I love, and the rest, well I guess I just really like them... ;) ----------> :D
Names of said 5 loved beers?:beer:

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Names of said 5 loved beers?:beer:

Witte Trappist (probably my favorite)
Hertog Jan
Wieckse Witte
Drentsche Schans Olde Witte
Leffe Tripel (this one's an azz-kicker; 8.1% ABV)

So they're all White Beers, I've got a thing for wheat...;)

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Two of our favorite watering holes:

De Linde, at the Marketplace.

Not too many folks inside this time of year, everyone's enjoying the beautiful weather outside.

The Whisky Bar at the Carlton Square (our hotel).

Eat you heart out, Dan and Mikey... ;)

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Passed a pet shop on the way back from the office today...

WhatsUpDOHC
08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Passed a pet shop on the way back from the office today...

WhatsUpDOHC
08-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Witte Trappist (probably my favorite)
Hertog Jan
Wieckse Witte
Drentsche Schans Olde Witte
Leffe Tripel (this one's an azz-kicker; 8.1% ABV)

So they're all White Beers, I've got a thing for wheat...;)
Thanks. I'll see if I can find them.

Bigdogjim
08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Nice bar! Great name:up:

IwantmyMMnow!
08-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Rex, you gonna be back in town for the Pack's season-opener? Thinking I might come down to Greenville to watch the game since it's a 4:30 kick-off...

SC Cheesehead
08-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Rex, you gonna be back in town for the Pack's season-opener? Thinking I might come down to Greenville to watch the game since it's a 4:30 kick-off...

I'm due back on Aug 31st, but not sure what plans Momma may have for the two weekends following, would enjoy getting together for the game if I'm gonna be in town, though.

Mr. Man
08-23-2013, 11:21 PM

I'm due back on Aug 31st, but not sure what plans Momma may have for the two weekends following, would enjoy getting together for the game if I'm gonna be in town, though.
You guys should meet up in a local pub so you can drown out the misery of your first loss with booze :D

GO GIANTS!!:banana:

IwantmyMMnow!
08-24-2013, 07:24 AM
You guys should meet up in a local pub so you can drown out the misery of your first loss with booze :D

GO GIANTS!!:banana:

PFfftt...here we go again....

However, I predict the Pack to go 12-4 this year, with the four losses coming at Baltimore, at Minnesota, at NY, and home against Pittsburgh.

SC Cheesehead
08-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Heading back from a day trip to Amsterdam. Unbelieveable. All I can say is, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any longer..."

IwantmyMMnow!
08-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I read a huge article/write-up about Amsterdam recently...would love to make it over there one day and see for myself.

I'm green with envy, Rex....imagine this face ---:D--- without the big smile...

Joe Walsh
08-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey Rex!

That looks like a nice place for a business trip.

I know that they have great beer(s) over there....

........:hmmm:...

and I think that you can smoke weed legally.

Not that I would condone either activity....:shake:

.....just sayin'

Mr. Man
08-24-2013, 10:23 AM
PFfftt...here we go again....

However, I predict the Pack to go 12-4 this year, with the four losses coming at Baltimore, at Minnesota, at NY, and home against Pittsburgh.
What do you mean 'here we go again'? Just getting a jump on the "Trash Talk" football thread. Packers fans :shake:.......:P;)

SC Cheesehead
08-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Some pics from our tour of Amseterdam today.

The train stations around here are pretty impressive.

Some more Dutch architecture, Madam Tussad's Wax Museum, the Dam Palace. They even have Mercury there! (He's the god of commerce and finance, and his statute is adjacent to the commercial hall in the palace.)

IwantmyMMnow!
08-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Packer fans are the BEST!

Giants fans? :shake:

Fixed...

Rex...was thinking of joining you and the Greenville Packer Backers for the game, not coming to your house...just FYI...

SC Cheesehead
08-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Oh, and I wouldn't want to forget the Red Light District. (And I thought the French Quarter in NOLA was off the charts...). Where else in the world would you find a shop selling Western outfits next to one peddling exotic ware? Other kinda stuff for sale as well.

Anybody wanna guess what the green cylindrical structure is?

IwantmyMMnow!
08-24-2013, 01:54 PM

It's a 'self-pleasuring' station....I have one in my backyard and am working on designing a portable version.

:lol:

kernie
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh, and I wouldn't want to forget the Red Light District. (And I thought the French Quarter in NOLA was off the charts...). Where else in the world would you find a shop selling Western outfits next to one peddling exotic ware? Other kinda stuff for sale as well.

Pee station!

Look at all the bicycles!

:beer:

SC Cheesehead
08-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Pee station!

Look at all the bicycles!

:beer:

Bingo.

+1 on the bikes. On the way into Amsterdam from the train station, passed a parking ramp. For bicycles - 3 levels high!! :eek:

All manner, shapes and sizes of bikes over here, some are even outfitted for kids and cargo hauling.

License2Bill
08-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Heading back from a day trip to Amsterdam. Unbelieveable. All I can say is, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any longer..."

Amsterdam is like the Tour De France. Just a bunch of people on drugs riding bikes!

MyBlackBeasts
08-25-2013, 06:31 AM
passed a pet shop on the way back from the office today...

Bunny!!! :D

MyBlackBeasts
08-25-2013, 06:38 AM

Public urinal

SC Cheesehead
08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Spent the day browsing around Haarlem.

Took a canal cruise, saw some houseboats (yeah they really live in those), a honest to gosh Dutch Windmill, hung out with the French Fry Guy, and found a Cheese Store (heaven, I'm in heaven.... ;))

Haggis
08-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Nice pics Rex, now do not piss off the French Fry guy. He looks mean.

Joe Walsh
08-26-2013, 07:18 AM
It's pretty cool to see lots of people riding bikes and jamming parking lots with bikes instead of 7,000 lb SUVs!

TAKEDOWN
08-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I need to go BACK... 12 years ago for me!

Different world out there, loved it.

SC Cheesehead
08-30-2013, 09:18 PM
I need to go BACK... 12 years ago for me!

Different world out there, loved it.

Two weeks has gone by fast. Leaving this morning for the airport, looks like good weather for travelling.

This has been an enjoyable assignment, hope I get the chance to return some day.

1 Bad Merc
08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
You should bring back the french fry guy- he almost resembles a packer fan!!!!!

Just a different food group on his' head!

SC Cheesehead
08-30-2013, 11:07 PM
You should bring back the french fry guy- he almost resembles a packer fan!!!!!

Just a different food group on his' head!

LOL! They love their fries over here. No ketchup though, they dip them in mayo.

Saw an unbelievable sight on the way to the airport. We were in the left lane, the guy ahead of us on the right started swerving back and forth, shot off the road onto the shoulder, then up and onto the guard rail. Hit it dead center, coasted about 50 yards, perfectly balanced, sparks flying from underneath. We passed him just as he was grinding to a halt. Both hands were locked in a death grip on the steering wheel, and from the look on his face, he must have filled his shorts. :eek:

Had my camera in the trunk (just my luck), but would have been the pic of a lifetime.

SC Cheesehead
09-05-2013, 07:36 AM
My co-worker had a couple of pics he passed along that I wanted to share.

The first two are from our day trip to Amsterdam, the last two were taken at the Cafe de Linde, which became our official hang out.

BTW, nothing worse than drinking a bunch of beer and then finding out that there are only pay toilets... :o