PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln LS

Juice
08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I've been looking around for a car for my girlfriend to commute with, but also something I can have a little fun with too.

The mid size luxo with a V-8 is appealing to me.

I'm not in a hurry so I figure I'll try to find an '06 (last model year) with low miles.

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts? Alternatives? :)

L.Mark
08-21-2013, 04:02 PM
My Uncle leased one new and said it was second only to the Mark VII he had. Really quick little car...his words...

Merrill
08-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Glad to hear from you, hope all is well. Lady I know bought on new, still loves it.
Don't know of any issues she has had with it.

RubberCtyRauder
08-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Not sure if it matters, but I think they require premium fuel. Not sure if you wanted that for a commuter.

WhatsUpDOHC
08-21-2013, 04:56 PM
A friend (NJ) just posted this for an 04:

"My father-in-law is selling his Lincoln LS.* 85000 miles.* Second owner.* Mint condition.* All options except Navigation.* $7500 takes it.* Let me know if you know anyone interested.
It is pearl white with a gray leather interior."

I can provide more details if you're interested.

Mark

Seneca
08-21-2013, 07:46 PM
My Wife had an 04 it was a lot of fun to drive ran 14.5 with a tune. lol.. Had a few little issues Sparkplug well seals leaking. Valve body issue causing rapid torque convertor lock/unlock Both repairs were pretty easy. and cheap to do yourself. we got 18 city and 26 highway with her car with the tune. Theres a good Forum for them too. A lot of good info. Best of luck with ur choice

71cyclone
08-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I've been looking around for a car for my girlfriend to commute with, but also something I can have a little fun with too.

The mid size luxo with a V-8 is appealing to me.

I'm not in a hurry so I figure I'll try to find an '06 (last model year) with low miles.

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts? Alternatives? :)

Great car and a Give away !!!

Curless
08-22-2013, 05:38 AM
No thanks, just remember it a Jaguar underneath....just for grins price out a cooling fan once!:eek::shake:

ctrlraven
08-22-2013, 05:47 AM
No thanks, just remember it a Jaguar underneath....just for grins price out a cooling fan once!:eek::shake:
Yep, basically just a Jag S-Type with the 3.9L V8 which is a destroked Jag 4.0L V8.

When I first looked at the MM I own now, there was a real nice LS sitting right next to it, both were the same price and around the same mileage. After knowing a few people who have had nothing but problems with them I am glad I made the right choice and bought the Marauder.

martyo
08-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Buy a new Lincoln. I dig them!

rayjay
08-22-2013, 07:51 AM
I asked the same question in 2010. Its been a pretty good car. The wife loves her 02 LS8 which we bought with just over 50K on the clock when it was 8 years old. However, as previously stated, it is a Jag with Lincoln sheet metal. Color that expensive to repair, big time. It cost me $2,000 last winter to replace the rear suspension that failed all at once and destroyed two new tires. The dealer allowed me to order the parts and they installed them. I saved about $400 that way. We have had COP problems too. These are easy to replace, provided you are physically able to. I am not due to a severe back injury. Not sure I would buy the car again. It was a problem free car until it hit 90k. My $.02 FWIW

Couple things I forgot. It does take 91 fuel and HATES alcohol gas. Ours runs great and gets good MPG with non alcohol gas, if you can find it. We also had issues with leaking valve cover gaskets, again, last winter.

pantheroc
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Wife has an '06, no problems yet. Tune w/CAI, moves nice.

Juice
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I figured you would be a good crowd to ask about these.

Glad to hear from you, hope all is well. Lady I know bought on new, still loves it.
Don't know of any issues she has had with it.

Yep, doing well! I moved back to San Diego in March. I really miss the Marauder, it's still my favorite car. I've only seen a couple since I've been back down here, it's sad how so few of them there are in CA.

Not sure if it matters, but I think they require premium fuel. Not sure if you wanted that for a commuter.

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. The idea behind me getting this is something I can tool around with, but also a safe and comfortable car for my girlfriend to drive to school and work. She left her Jeep up in Washington with her parents, so now she doesn't have anything so she's been taking public transit which takes 4 hours out of her day. So yes, it's going to be a commuter, but it's only for the 10 months she has left in school.

A friend (NJ) just posted this for an 04:

"My father-in-law is selling his Lincoln LS.* 85000 miles.* Second owner.* Mint condition.* All options except Navigation.* $7500 takes it.* Let me know if you know anyone interested.
It is pearl white with a gray leather interior."

I can provide more details if you're interested.

Mark

That seems like a good deal, but it's a long way from me in California. They are pretty common cars, so there are plenty local to me to get. Thanks for the opportunity.

I asked the same question in 2010. Its been a pretty good car. The wife loves her 02 LS8 which we bought with just over 50K on the clock when it was 8 years old. However, as previously stated, it is a Jag with Lincoln sheet metal. Color that expensive to repair, big time. It cost me $2,000 last winter to replace the rear suspension that failed all at once and destroyed two new tires. The dealer allowed me to order the parts and they installed them. I saved about $400 that way. We have had COP problems too. These are easy to replace, provided you are physically able to. I am not due to a severe back injury. Not sure I would buy the car again. It was a problem free car until it hit 90k. My $.02 FWIW

Couple things I forgot. It does take 91 fuel and HATES alcohol gas. Ours runs great and gets good MPG with non alcohol gas, if you can find it. We also had issues with leaking valve cover gaskets, again, last winter.

From what I understand, the 00-03s were fraught with problems that were addressed in the 04-06 models. I understand that the repairs on any of them can be expensive, but from what I have heard from the owners of later models, they are relatively problem free. Thanks for the insight, it gives me a lot more to think about. :)

Juice
08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Yep, basically just a Jag S-Type with the 3.9L V8 which is a destroked Jag 4.0L V8.

When I first looked at the MM I own now, there was a real nice LS sitting right next to it, both were the same price and around the same mileage. After knowing a few people who have had nothing but problems with them I am glad I made the right choice and bought the Marauder.

I would love to have another MM, but I wouldn't want one for her as a daily driver.

Green96
08-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I had an 05. It was fun to drive, but unreliable, took premium fuel and did not get very good mpg for the size of the car. I ended up trading it in Nashville while on vacation because, but surprise, the HVAC broke. Drive home in a different car. I would stay away.

Other things to consider: It has a really of turbo lag feel to the take-off. It may be due to poor response from the early throttle by wire attempt. The trunk is tiny. Parts are expensive.

Juice
08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I had an 05. It was fun to drive, but unreliable, took premium fuel and did not get very good mpg for the size of the car. I ended up trading it in Nashville while on vacation because, but surprise, the HVAC broke. Drive home in a different car. I would stay away.

Other things to consider: It has a really of turbo lag feel to the take-off. It may be due to poor response from the early throttle by wire attempt. The trunk is tiny. Parts are expensive.

That's some good insight, thanks.

I'm still early in the looking phase, so there are plenty of other cars for me to look at. I bleed Blue, so I try to stay in the Ford family and the LS seemed like a decent option.

Would you have any recommendation for a car that's less than 10 years old, I could get for around 10k or less, and would be relatively inexpensive to maintain? I'd like it to be fun too, if I could. Thanks!

MMBLUE
08-22-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm liking this Ford 500. I thought this car was going to catch on but it didn't. If this was rear wheel drive, it would be a replacement for DD.

Green96
08-23-2013, 05:42 AM
That's some good insight, thanks.

I'm still early in the looking phase, so there are plenty of other cars for me to look at. I bleed Blue, so I try to stay in the Ford family and the LS seemed like a decent option.

Would you have any recommendation for a car that's less than 10 years old, I could get for around 10k or less, and would be relatively inexpensive to maintain? I'd like it to be fun too, if I could. Thanks!

Mustang, or does it need to have 4 doors? I am anti FWD so Ford has really left me hanging lately. My wife had a 2006 Mercury Milan (same as a Fusion). It was OK, but I would not call it fun to drive. I did have brake warping and repeated tie rod end issues with it. 3 inner drivers side tie rods in the last 30K miles we had it. We ended up trading it for a 2011 Subaru Outback. We loved it so much we traded it for a 2013 Outback to get the redesigned motor with the timing chain instead of a belt. It is the first time I have traded for the same thing.

TP Derrick D
08-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm liking this Ford 500. I thought this car was going to catch on but it didn't. If this was rear wheel drive, it would be a replacement for DD.
All Ford did was take the Five Hundred name plate off and put Taurus on it for 2 more years '08 & '09. When Ford tried to kill the Taurus name the "500" name didn't sell as well even tho it was just a re-bodied & re-badged Taurus. When they changed name back for 2 years it sold until the redesign in 2010-current

jerrym3
08-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I have the double whammy.

My wife has an 04 LS8 and I have an 03 TBird. Pretty much twins under the sheetmetal.

Yeah, they can be expensive to maintain, but the LS certainly can run and handle. (TBird's a bit softer and slower since I put on larger tires, but still pretty quick.)

With the SST trannie, the LS is a LOT of fun on twisty, up and down roads, excep that where I live, there aren't a lot of roads like that.

Both will get upper 20's on the highway, and with the drop down rear seat, you'd be surprised how much you can pack into the LS.

At this point, I haven't been hit with really big repair bills, but mileage is still pretty low on both cars (LS, 50,000; TBird, 21,000)

As a car that's almost 10 years old, my LS still looks good in Light Tundra Metallic, and the TBird (black/saddle interior) gets a lot of lookers at cruise nights..