PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9-11

Bluerauder
09-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Here is an update on the initial remembrance that I wrote on the 5th Anniversary of September 11th back on 11 September 2006 ......

11 September 2013

Today is the 12th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC) complex, the Pentagon, and on UA Flight #93 over Shanksville, PA. A total of 2,973 persons were killed that day. Another 24 remain missing.

:flag: I will be flying my flag proudly today “In Remembrance” of the victims and their families. Hope that you will join me in doing the same. Never forget. I won’t. :flag:

On the morning of 11 September 2001, I was checking out of the Thayer Hotel at the US Military Academy at West Point, NY following a conference. As I was passing through the main gate in a rental car toward Highland Falls and Newark International Airport, I heard the first announcement of a small plane striking one of the towers at the World Trade Center. Initially, this struck me as very odd. I thought to myself that a small plane would have to work hard to hit such an obvious building. Maybe the pilot had a medical emergency and lost control of the aircraft.

About 15 minutes later, the radio announcer revealed that the second tower had been hit by another plane. The sky was clear and it was a beautiful day, no way this was accidental. I knew immediately that this was a deliberate attack and that terrorists were responsible. I continued on my way south along the Palisades Parkway and then the Garden State Parkway. Several emergency responders with blue lights flashing and rolling pretty fast passed me along the way. As I got closer to the Tappan Zee Bridge, I saw signs that said “New York City was Closed”. No traffic other than emergency vehicles were permitted.

I continued on my way toward Newark airport. Just as I crossed into New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway, the radio announcer said that a 3rd plane had hit the Pentagon (my old office at 3C529 was obliterated in that instant). We were at war with someone. I needed to stop and collect my thoughts – what to do now? A rest stop with gas station was only about a mile ahead. I pulled in and stopped and just sat a few minutes. Get a coke and calm down some – what the heck is happening??? Is the airport even open now?? What about the rental car?? Try to call – fat chance – everything is busy. While debating with myself whether I should continue on to the airport, a northbound car pulled into the rest stop. A guy staggered out of his car and sat down on the curb. I rushed over to see if I could assist. He just said that one of the World Trade Center towers just collapsed. I jumped back in my rental car and turned on the radio. I was stunned and in disbelief. The past hour had been surreal.

In that single minute, my decision was clear. I am driving back to Virginia. Screw the rental car, I need to get home. I turned around and headed back the way I came. Back to I-87, then I-287 to I-78 to I-83 and south. All day I listened to reports on the radio. Plane crashing in Pennsylvania. Just words, no pictures, no TV, no CNN news reports. Lots of speculation and the images forming in my head were difficult to accept. The road rolled on. Tried to call home several times – no luck at all. Easton, Harrisburg, and York, PA, Baltimore, MD, then Washington, DC and out to Dulles Airport. Had to drop off the rental and pick up my car.

As I approached the National Rental car gate, I noticed that it was closed. In fact, traffic at Dulles was nearly non-existent. Very unusual – a virtual ghost town. I stop at the gate and a guy came over and opened it. I told him that I was there to turn in the car. No charge for the car. No shuttles back to the parking lot. One of the National guys offered to drop me off in his personal car as he was departing. Got in my T-Bird and clicked on the radio. More talk and speculation. Four planes total. US airspace shut down completely.

The guy at the parking lot toll booth waved me through. No charge today. Home was still about 45 minutes away. More radio reports. Both WTC towers gone. Pentagon still burning. Many people dead and dying. Still can’t call home.

I pulled into my driveway at exactly 5:00 PM that night. My trip had been a full 8 hours from start to finish. My wife ran out to the car and just threw her arms around me. For a minute or maybe more we just stood there. Finally, she said “I know you too well …. I knew that you’d be driving back today”. If I said that I didn’t break down and cry briefly at that moment, I’d be lying. The rush of the past 8 hours completely enveloped me in that moment. In the car for so long I had not been able to share my building grief at all of the events of the day. Finally being at home with everyone safe and together, I lost control. There I said it.

I went into the house and clicked on the TV to see the video and images that most everyone else had be seeing all day. Several birthday presents sat on the dining room table. There would be no party tonight. It took more than a week to even bring myself to open any of them. It just didn't seem appropriate.

Over time, I would find out that 22 of the victims at the Pentagon were from Prince William County, VA were among the nearly 3,000 who died that day. One was an usher at our church. One of our VFD paramedics was in New York City on vacation. He died in the WTC collapse after he rushed from his nearby hotel to offer his help. Several other friends and acquaintances had close calls and near misses or just happened to be somewhere else when their offices were destroyed. I am still overwhelmed by the events of that day. Putting them down on paper like this kinda helps. Thanks for listening.

lji372
09-11-2013, 04:52 AM
I was at work that morning with all the hoopla on the radio we went I to the office and watched replays on the television..................si lence around the room, words weren't needed, we all just looked at each other....................

The rest of that day and the next few we're pretty tough. All I personally kept thinking of were the kids who would never see their parents again, broke my heart.............

Great now I'm all sappy:/

Have a great day everyone!

VMARAUDER
09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
As I was repairing an applinace in a customers home the television was broadcasting a live feed of the 1st burning tower and as the camera panned around from seen to seen and the news anchors describing the choas, I thought "what movie is this". As I continued to repair the appliance, glancing at the tv from time to time I watched the 2nd plane strike the next tower and then I realized that this was real time and was shocked as all hell. I remember that all the rest of the work day seemed as if it was slow motion. A part of me was lost and I was deeply saddened by the events of the day and it became difficult for me to concentrate on the job, though I finished up the day but not very productive. I did not know anyone personally but it seemed as I knew them all..
I remember the fear that struck the minds of my young daughters and the reaction of one when she saw a plane after the no fly was lifted...I was driving her to school and she saw a plane then unbuckled her seat belt and crawled under the dashboard for cover

For the 1st responders and all who may have lost a family member or a friend, my thoughts and prayers are with you today and may the great peace of God comfort you.

GOD BLESS OUR GREAT COUNTRY

Comin' in Hot
09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I still have vivid memories of that day, where I was and what I felt. Years later, it hasn't been any better.

On the 10th anniversary of September 11th, my father and I delivered two new Boston Fire Department pumpers. We went up 287 to 84 towards Boston. I listened to a rebroadcast of that morning's news on the radio. It was like reliving that day. Every overpass had American flags and never forget banners hanging from them. I remember feeling just as angry and lost as I did ten years before.

This past month, I started working with the Shanksville Fire Department to spec a new fire truck. Every time I go, I drive past the Flight 93 Memorial Chapel and I see a large piece of the WTC outside the firehouse. All the walls inside are filled with something related to that day. There are scrapbooks filled with pictures recording the events that followed the crash. The first time I was there, I tried to not let where I was bother me. I did very well until they showed me a hosebed cover from their last truck purchased in 2002. The cover has a tiny flag for each person that lost their life in the crash. Many family members have come over the years and signed a flag for their loved one. There are hundreds of items like this in the firehouse. As an American, it is the one place that I have the most difficult time being. I have yet to go to the actual Flight 93 Memorial.

HammerDown
09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
For the 1st responders and all who may have lost a family member or a friend, my thoughts and prayers are with you today and may the great peace of God comfort you.

GOD BLESS OUR GREAT COUNTRY

Could not have said it better ^^^^^

Go2GuyFL
09-11-2013, 07:28 AM
12 years ago today, my cell phone started ringing at 6:30 AM PST (9:30 AM EST). Linda (Go2GalFL) wanted to know if I heard the news yet of a plane crashing into one of the Twin Towers, another one near the Pentagon, and the possibility of one heading to our capitol. At first I thought it was a joke and remember asking her “what’s the punch line”. For the next three hours, I sat in my Super 8 hotel room off Hotel Circle in San Diego watching TV replays of planes crashing while listening to Howard Stern on the radio live from NYC.

This was my first out-of-state sales trip since my joining Secure-Res. Travel was provided courtesy of the Hotel del Coronado. As they were linking their website to our booking engine, the revenue director insisted I be available when needed. She provided complimentary airfare and four days on property. Upon doing a fax blast to the entire San Diego market, I extended my stay through the weekend as sales appointments were lining up well. Since Coca-Cola booked most of their property for an annual sales gathering, I had to check out of the Hotel del Coronado and opted for a room more centrally located. I was invited to the lodging association’s networking lunch and to travel with the CVB to Ensenada Mexico for their annual event which promised an audience nearing 400 people – both slated Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

All that opportunity was taken away as the news kept repeating the terrorists attacks on my birthplace, former workplace, and surrounding communities. Not only were the San Diego events cancelled, so were my appointments as hoteliers were scrambling to rearrange rooms. Since international flights were not allowed to enter the United States, large groups from markets like Japan and China were quickly cancelling. I couldn't return to Florida as all of the in-bound flights from Mexico were blocked leaving me without a connecting flight home.

It was time to get creative! I got dressed in a polo shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Ran copies of the fax blast I sent prior to my arrival in San Diego. Drove to the Pacific Highway and started door knocking with flyers in-hand. My presentation was simple … “This may not be the most appropriate time to discuss your online presence, but it will soon be. Thought I would stop in while I’m stuck here in paradise.” One hotelier was so fascinated, we spent over an hour together. He later moved into the role of regional director which he helped become one of our largest clients – Pacifica Hotels.

While I wonder how many connections might have been made if those functions weren't cancelled, many times our quest leads to not “no”, but “not right now”. Always stay true to the mission. And, be sure to tell someone (maybe everyone) how much you appreciate them … today.

Guittard22
09-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Days of that event will forever be a part of every American's life very sad to think about the anniversary of something so drastic and gut Wrenching. God bless America and prayers sent Tol the families and friends affected by this.

Dave2
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
http://orlandonewscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1284219615-29.jpg

sailsmen
09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
A day so many can never forget.

Please remember all those lost on 9-11 and all those lost after 9-11 who were called to duty.

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Pops
09-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I did a write up of my memories of 9/11 a few years ago in response to Charlies thread that year. Maybe you can post up that link, Charlie? I can't seem to find it.

12 years ago I was in Manhattan at my job....(Saint Vincents Hospital, in the Village) with full view of the Twin Towers, the smoke and flames, I witnessed the collapse of the South Tower. I lived and breathed that day and the days to follow....the pall of acrid yellow smoke as the fire smoldered for what seemed like eternity, the heartbroken, panic stricken people who flooded into the hospital desperately looking for their loved one who was last seen "on the 81st" floor of tower one....." Multiply that by hundreds. They posted pictures of their son, husband, father, daughter, wife, girlfriend, best friend, boss, secretary .....up all over the hospital's exterior near the ER hoping someone could give them an answer. Those pictures then became memorial shrines to all those lost souls.... Our state was hard hit by the deaths of over 700 people that day.

As I drove into work today, now in another state, I was listening to my regular drivetime morning station. They were rebroadcasting the events of that fateful day 12 years ago. Just a short distance from my job, I passed by the fire station with their 9/11 memorial and piece of steel from the Towers, their flags at half staff. All the houses of that small historic district were flying the flag and it all flooded back.....tears and all.

I will never forget.

Well said Paula! :)

gdsqdcr
09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
9-11 is a day that, as others have stated, is a day that will live forever etched in our minds. It was a day of murder and then great sacrifice by those who ran there to help others.

L.Mark
09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I was painting a house with my Dad after getting off from my job. We were outside and in the back of my mind I had noticed the sky was unuasually quiet. But didn't give it a second thought. The lady who's house we were painting finally came out and said a plane had hit the World Trade Center. We walked in to see what in the world this crazy lady was talking about. What we saw on TV was a cloud of smoke and someone talking. I could'nt tell you who or what they were saying because I had just read the words Tower colaspes at the bottom of the screen. It then went back and showed stock footage of them both burning and everything went quiet and dark around me as I was focused on the horror of what I was seeing. A few moments later I called my Mom and told her to turn on the TV. She was confused at first at what she was seeing but as it sunk and all she could say was,"...what, oh my God, what...". I told my Dad I'm done for the day and went to watch the horifying events take place again and again on the TV with my Mom. As with many it seemed surreal. I just kept watching, engrossed as if at any time someone would come on and say...coming to a theater near you. Hours went by and it dawned on me I should call work( I worked at UPS as an auditor at the time), ofcourse there was no work for many days. Which was good because that's about how long it took to sink in enough to not be in a daised fog!!! Lets us never forget the sacrafices made that day and the days that followed. And the lifes that are still being affected to this day!

Bluerauder
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I did a write up of my memories of 9/11 a few years ago in response to Charlies thread that year. Maybe you can post up that link, Charlie? I can't seem to find it.

Here is one from 2008 ....

I was in NYC working @ Saint Vincents Hospital that day. Had stopped outside my building to marvel at the gorgeous deep blue sky and enjoying the view looking downtown at the twin towers (they always reminded me of a pair of giants legs standing there). I hated to go inside, it was such an especially stunning day. I no sooner got upstairs to my office when I heard my secretary getting off the elevator shouting " Oh my God", over and over. The first plane must have struck within moments of my stepping inside and Rickie (secretary) who was steps behind me saw it happen. The sense of dread did not set in even when we turned on the news. It almost looked like it could have been a small traffic plane. We went to the medical directors office which had huge windows looking at the Trade Center and saw wisps of smoke coming from the hole in the building. Soon flames began to flare out. I left to call the staff together as I knew we would be needed in the ER. Then the second plane hit. I instantly knew the city was under attack. The next several days were nightmarish. We all stayed at the hospital waiting for the hundreds of survivors who would surely need medical care. Finally, heartbroken, we realized there would be just a handful. The city was a war zone with armed military/police every few feet across 14th Street to cordon off downtown. Every day for weeks, I took medical supplies on foot to get care to those who could not get up to the clinics, wearing a mask trying not to breath the sickening yellow smoke that smelled of jet fuel and everything that had been incinerated. I was so proud to be a New Yorker then. The city coped magnificently. Everyone pulled together and we made it through. I will never forget.

And another from 2011 ....

That day, as every day, I took the bus into NYC Port Authority. I rode the subway downtown, walked several blocks and stopped just outside the door to my office building looking downtown toward the World Trade Center to admire one of the most beautiful days of the year. I remember thinking it had to be one of the top 10 best and I hated to go inside. Those towers were frankly a bit of an eyesore to me, placed as they were amidst smaller, older buildings of downtown Manhattan and reminding me of a pair of giant's legs standing where they didn't belong. Lot's of New Yorkers felt the same. But 10 years ago, even they looked so glorious under that big blue sky with the sun glinting off of them. I reluctantly took the elevator upstairs and just as I arrived at my desk, I heard the cries of my secretary, Rickie, (who had evidently taken the elevator just after I did) normally the calmest of people. He was so distraught, shouting that a plane had struck one of the Twin Towers. Had I spent just a few more moments outside, I would have seen the plane. I remember saying "Rick, did you call 911?" He said "Paula, everyone is calling 911!" I worked for Saint Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, on lower Broadway, in their Home Care Dept. We turned on the TV and saw smoke coming from near the top of the North Tower. I knew the hospital would be preparing to receive casualties. I got my staff together and told them to prepare to get over to the main hospital several blocks across town on 11th St. and 7th Ave. Then the next plane hit and I knew we were under attack. Miraculously I was able to get phone calls out to my husband in NJ, and to my parents in Calif. It wouldn't be long before communication was severed for those of us in lower Manhattan, including the TV. My staff and I were walking across town, past hundreds of people standing in the streets all looking downtown at the burning towers, when the south tower fell. We kept walking toward the ER. It seemed as if we were the only ones in motion. When we arrived, the hospital was prepared for victims. There were scores of stretchers on the sidewalk outside, with IVs ready, each manned by nurses and doctors. Local cafes were delivering food and coffee. Off duty staff who lived nearby were streaming in as well as tourists who were medical personnel and wanted to help. A group of plastic surgeons, attending a conference uptown, also made their way to help. It was an amazing sight. Sadly, there were so few survivors, and very few made it to the hospital. We treated mostly firefighters, police and emergency workers that day. I stayed at the hospital until late that night. Then was allowed to leave, but couldn't get home so I stayed with a fellow nurse in her apt. on 14th street. The days that followed were like a dream. No one was allowed below 14th street. There was a uniformed person with a rifle every few feet all across 14th street. With my hospital ID I was allowed to walk into lower Manhattan to visit my home bound patients. I wore a mask, because the stench of the yellow smoke was unbearable. (It lingered for weeks.) Saint Vincent's became the gathering place for those looking for lost loved ones. It was heartbreaking to see hundreds of family members and friends posting pictures of those they couldn't find and asking "Have you seen him? Is he here?" I will never forget the horror and pain of those dark days, but I will also never forget how proud I was of my hospital, my colleagues and of all my fellow New Yorkers who stepped up and pulled together in the face of such an assault on our city and country.

jerrym3
09-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I was working on the Hudson River waterfront.

I heard about the first crash via internet radio station. I ran outside expecting to see a little bit of smoke. I was wrong.

Went back to work, heard about the second plane, ran outside again and was completely shocked.

Went back to work.

I heard that the first tower went down. Ran to an office window, and saw the second one collapse. Women started crying. Men were in shock.

Our lobby and a local Houlihan's were filled with folks trying to get home from New York. All roads into the Hudson River waterfront were closed.

Left work early driving a friend home who worked on Wall Street.

Driving west from the Hudson River on deserted roads that are always busy but were completely empty of cars that day was eerie, like a 50's sci/fi movie.

Few weeks later, I went to Washington, DC, on business. Thought I was in a war zone. Troops and police all over the airport. (Reminded me of a business trip I took to Saudi Arabia in the 70's Military all over the airport.) Wasn't allowed to leave my seat on the short flight to DC.

My DC hotel was almost deserted (the hotel where Reagan was shot) and troops were located all around the White House perimeter.

A few weeks later, we were standing outside our office building at lunch when two low flying military jets flew up the Hudson and then went rocketing skyward.

A lot of people got very nervous very quickly.

MyBlackBeasts
09-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Never Forget...

News montage, well edited, of many news/eyewitness videos showing live TV 2nd plane strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQWzdc175A&feature=player_embedded

MOTOWN
09-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Everytime i looked at my watch, or the bedroom clock that displays the month and year i couldnt help but to remember, and no we should never forget!