PDA

View Full Version : TERRIBLE Front end creak in 98 crown victoria? (video)

Chayton
09-19-2013, 07:38 PM
So I noticed that, whenever turning the steering ALL the way left or ALL the way right, when making a U turn for example, If I go over even the slighest bit of uneven pavement a cringe worthy creaking noise is emitted from the front end. Note that if the pavement is very smooth there is no noise. Heres a video I took showing the noise, When the steering is turned all the way and going over or down a bump such as the curb to my driveway, you can hear the awful sound. I did some research, Must be the bushings in the front suspension? But I cant really get a definite answer and apparently its very expensive or complex to fix this. Should I just live with this? Drives me crazy when I make a U-turn and friends in my car give me that "oh god is your old police car going to fall apart" look :shake::bigcry:

(ignore the guy trying to be funny cracking ford jokes, thats my dad for yah :rolleyes:)

z_De8UKElqM

RubberCtyRauder
09-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Could be bushings, could be steering stops are dry..they need some grease inthe little pocket of the lower A arm..when turning full lock, the steering stop contacts that point..metal on metal..how many miles? might be time for rebuild

Chayton
09-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Could be bushings, could be steering stops are dry..they need some grease inthe little pocket of the lower A arm..when turning full lock, the steering stop contacts that point..metal on metal..how many miles? might be time for rebuild

only 80k miles

Roadwarrior
09-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Definitely control arm bushings. My CVPI did the same noise & there was no rubber left in the bushings themselves.

Marauderjack
09-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Look under the front and you will see little knobs that are actually steering stops that go into a socket when the wheel is turned to the fullest extent either way......metal on metal and it sounds horrible!!:eek:

A dab of grease and problem solved!!:beer:

fordmike65
09-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Steering stops fo sho.

RF Overlord
09-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Agreed. Steering stops.

Chayton
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Look under the front and you will see little knobs that are actually steering stops that go into a socket when the wheel is turned to the fullest extent either way......metal on metal and it sounds horrible!!:eek:

A dab of grease and problem solved!!:beer:

Any diagram of where these are? A lot of stuff going on under there haha :o

RubberCtyRauder
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
use a heavy waterproof grease, it still might be only part of the problem..start with the easy first

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu92/mdnos/steeringstop_zps14871821.jpg

MyBlackBeasts
09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Ball joint (siezed up with rust powder) makes that noise also.

Control arm bushing
Steering stop
Ball joint
Probably 1 of the 3.

Good luck with the repair!

Chayton
09-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Update! Thanks for the input guys, it was most definitely the steering stops! Nothing better than fixing something on your car for free! Not a single noise from her now! well besides those damn rotors...I really should have got in on that ebay sale -__-

Chayton
09-23-2013, 02:08 PM
use a heavy waterproof grease, it still might be only part of the problem..start with the easy first

Thank you for the diagram I found them immediately! :D

Marauderjack
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Glad to help......I have had 6 CV's and all did it but never figgered it out until the 2000 one!!:shake:

Had a mechanic tell me I needed new struts......well.....duh.....n o struts there!! Finally just by sheer luck I saw all the rust on the ball and socket....greased 'em.....the rest is history and actually at my age I am surprised I remembered!!:eek:

Good Luck with your brakes!!:beer:

RF Overlord
09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
I use this (http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-products/greases-and-lubricants/pennzoil-premium-wheel-bearing-707l-red-grease/).

fordmike65
09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Might wanna re-attach that abs sensor wire...

RubberCtyRauder
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Might wanna re-attach that abs sensor wire...
Not a pic of my ride. Just a pic i found on the net with spots already circled for Chayton. Appreciate the look out though