PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump ?

2ndmm
09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I am ready for a fuel pump to go in my trilogy car and I wanna do a ford gt pump. Is it pretty much a r/r or is mods necessary? Thank you in advance, Tony

camelgrundle
09-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Get a aeromotive 340 stealth pump. Better IMO. Just need to splice the wires and install in old housing.

justbob
09-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Agree^

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

RacerX
09-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I agree with ^ PLUS... wiring upgrade. ;)

Vortech347
09-25-2013, 08:22 PM
The speed shop here I do a ton of business with actually called me and told me to expect that pump to fail at any time because about 1 out of 3 cars he put that pump in came back. I hated my Stealth 340. Pulled enough amps to melt the wiring harness plug at the fuel hat and didn't flow what it was advertised for. Also when they get hot they fall off pressure badly. I noticed this too.

Save $70 and order a Walbro 400LPH. It pulls less amps, uses an industry proven drive motor. Much higher flow too.

Cobra25
09-26-2013, 06:33 AM
I have twin Areomotive Stealth 340 pumps in my set up & never had a problem .

RacerX
09-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Love my 340lph. I couldn't find any info on how the 400lph Walbro works with pulse modulated returnless systems...???

Marauderjack
09-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Love my 340lph. I couldn't find any info on how the 400lph Walbro works with pulse modulated returnless systems...???

Walbro does not recommend any of their pumps for "Returnless" systems but mine has been working flawlessly since 2005 and over 165K miles....go figger!!??:cool:

Vortech347
09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I talked directly with Walbro at SEMA last year and they told me their 400's work great in return less systems. My local shop doesn't even sell Aeromotives anymore due to their high failure rates. I've put multiple Walbro 400's in friends cars as well as my own now with excellent success. The AEM 320' is also getting good reviews too.

And all the other better options are CHEAPER!!

Vortech347
09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Walbro does not recommend any of their pumps for "Returnless" systems but mine has been working flawlessly since 2005 and over 165K miles....go figger!!??:cool:

My father's 05' Roush has a Vortech kit we installed when the car had a wee 1200 miles on it. It came with a GSS340 because at the time nothing else was available yet. Supposedly a big no-no. Fast forward to today and it now has 38k on it. No issues.

I've never seen better pumps real world applications more than the Bosch 044 and the Walbro's.

RR|Suki
09-26-2013, 07:25 AM
How does the Walbro 400 fit in our basket? Or did you not put one in a Marauder? Might be an interesting option over the division X 340...

Vortech347
09-26-2013, 08:00 AM
How does the Walbro 400 fit in our basket? Or did you not put one in a Marauder? Might be an interesting option over the division X 340...

I've mainly used them either in division X hats or modifing fox body hats. But they really aren't that different and can easily be made to work.

The main area of the pump is the "standard" can size. The only spot bigger is the bottom turbine housing.

Forgive the background mess. I was working mid project on the pump and a Fox T56 install.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1238372_10202027312908664_2040 736610_n.jpg

RF Overlord
09-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Since we're all humming about whose pumps suck and whose are made by Chuck Norris, I have a slightly related question.

The Blackbird has a basically stock Trilogy tune (slightly tweaked by Lidio on his dyno) and a BAP. No fuel issues to date. If the stock pump ever goes, would I be OK simply replacing it with another one, or do I need to go though all the angst and stress of picking a different brand and hoping it doesn't fail. I also would rather not have to do all kinds of mods to the hat and what-not. I'd rather just R & R if possible.

Vortech347
09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Since we're all humming about whose pumps suck and whose are made by Chuck Norris, I have a slightly related question.

The Blackbird has a basically stock Trilogy tune (slightly tweaked by Lidio on his dyno) and a BAP. No fuel issues to date. If the stock pump ever goes, would I be OK simply replacing it with another one, or do I need to go though all the angst and stress of picking a different brand and hoping it doesn't fail. I also would rather not have to do all kinds of mods to the hat and what-not. I'd rather just R & R if possible.

With your setup either an AEM 320 (cheapest), Stryker 340. They would be plug n' play and you most likely wouldn't even need the BAP anymore with 400-420ish hp. A 255 high pressure will safely do around 450 to the wheels without a BAP. So any of the 300+ pumps would be more than enough.

justbob
09-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Bob, I have nothing but nice things to say about Walbro's GSS342. My old set up was 450 HP and 11#'s and got a few years out of it before changing everything up.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

RR|Suki
09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
hmm, interesting. I dunno why lethal performance has all those warnings about it not fitting in a stock hat then :o

I like choices though, I was going to go with a 340, but that 400 seems mighty tasty

sailsmen
09-26-2013, 09:55 AM
How do they compare to the Ford GT?

Vortech347
09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
hmm, interesting. I dunno why lethal performance has all those warnings about it not fitting in a stock hat then :o

I like choices though, I was going to go with a 340, but that 400 seems mighty tasty

They are not a perfect exact replacement. I know that scares a lot of people for some reason. But its nothing you can't fabricate your way into.

I haven't seen a Marauder hat in person so I can't tell you what will be required. Does anyone have a picture of a stock Marauder hat/assembly they can post up? You can see in my photo I just cut the bottom portion of the assembly off so the flared turbine side would clear. Even the sock fits my tank better, its square instead of that really long goofy one.

How do they compare to the Ford GT?

I've read anywhere from 310-330lph.

Marauderjack
09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
My father's 05' Roush has a Vortech kit we installed when the car had a wee 1200 miles on it. It came with a GSS340 because at the time nothing else was available yet. Supposedly a big no-no. Fast forward to today and it now has 38k on it. No issues.

I've never seen better pumps real world applications more than the Bosch 044 and the Walbro's.

I agree.....my GSS340 came with my ProCharger (FIT Kit) and I bought a spare (still in the trunk)!!:beer: