PDA

View Full Version : need help motivating my guys

lji372
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
we've all seen the posters and sayings meant to inspire employees to give a little extra effort and/or pretend to care.

i've been trying to come up with something to post by the time clock, my first attempt doesn't seem to be working. any help with tweaking it is appreciated.

it reads:

BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES!!!!

what? i thought it would be a fair trade :dunno:

Mr. Man
09-30-2013, 12:21 PM
"Remember in today's economy you are replacable" :D

GAMike
09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
If a paycheck is all you work for, then you will never "be" all you want to be......

Job performance, ensures job security...... Its up to us all to understand what constitutes "job performance".

Krytin
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
"Work like someone's watching you..............

because we ARE!"

Then put up some of those fake CCTV cameras w/flashing red lights on them!

Shaijack
09-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Take them bowling or to a Lazer Tag place for an outing. Worked on my guys. Then beat them.

lji372
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
"Work like someone's watching you..............

because we ARE!"

Then put up some of those fake CCTV cameras w/flashing red lights on them!

i did put up camera's :lol:

now just have to figure out how to link them to my phone :stupid:

RubberCtyRauder
09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Motivation by intimidation doesn't work. Only creates attitudes. Take the money from the scrap, chips, cut offs etc and buy lunch for the shop once a quarter or every other month. Get pizzas or deli tray ns fresh bread or hire a local food truck. Worked good for a tool shop i used to work at. They did it every month plus bought bagels every fri. About 27 guys worked there.

Comin' in Hot
09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
New incentive plan: Work or get fired.

boatmangc
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Motivation by intimidation doesn't work. Only creates attitudes. Take the money from the scrap, chips, cut offs etc and buy lunch for the shop once a quarter or every other month. Get pizzas or deli tray ns fresh bread or hire a local food truck. Worked good for a tool shop i used to work at. They did it every month plus bought bagels every fri. About 27 guys worked there.

That's pretty much how I have had the best luck.
That and a bada$$ stereo with satellite in the shop.

The only sign I had up said "Mechanics wash their hands BEFORE they handle their tools"

loud2004marquis
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

1stMerc
09-30-2013, 03:57 PM

This helps immensely^^^^
All work all the time and no play or rewards make for a dull and frustrating work place.

lji372
09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
i already provide their pop (soda to you southerners), ice tea and bottled water. we had a bbq at the shop about 6 weeks ago and a bonfire at my house a three weeks ago. also threw a small bonus in their check a couple weeks ago which i normally only do at christmas (is christmas banned here yet? if so sorry).

it seem more mistakes have happened since the kind acts though :mad2:

if you can't win'm over with kindness what other options are there?

one guy is looking for a job as of this morning.

i will not change who i am or what i do. i am willing to change those around me though :D

MMBLUE
09-30-2013, 04:50 PM
This is an employers economy.

Work of GTFO.

Go find someone who really appreciates and or NEEDS a job.

RubberCtyRauder
09-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Not sure of all your parameters of your shop. I've worked in 65 man, 70,000 sq foot tool shops to the 9 man toolroom I am at presently. Everything from apprentices to operators to programmers to mold makers etc. My suggestion, get rid of cameras. That means not trusting. You hired them, why iz there diztrust? Make an environment as nice as you are able. Clean, decent tooling and supplies, good lighting. Condusive to learning. If something is not learned during a mistake, then it will happen again. Might have update your quality/checking procedures. Simple incentives create long term employees. Work all year with no excuses abscences,earn an extra day off. I could go on and on Jerry. I've been in a few shops to know what works better than others.

L.Mark
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Have a boss dunk day on fridays. You sit in a booth filled with water, jello, pudding, applesauce, whatever. An dthey trow balls and you get dunked....;)

I don't work for you but I feel better already...

lji372
09-30-2013, 05:11 PM
i've been around the block myself. built some bridges and blew up others :lol:

i started out sweeping floors and cleaning out machines in high school. i had 20 years in the trade before i started my own place. i know where they are coming from.

currently a 9 person shop, apprentices to skilled.

it does seem like a class of first graders at times though, the more rope you give them the more they take. not all, but at least a third.

freshly painted walls, new lighting, looking at a/c for next year.
cameras have become a necessity on the outside of the shop. i am only a 1/4 mile from the D.
on the inside, a. it keeps them honest - b. it protects my interest
i wish i could say i have 100 percent trust but the reality is i only do in half of them.

i can live with less profit. poor quality ii cannot. i tell them all, if you don't love what you do then please find a new career:beer:.

1Marauder
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Not sure of all your parameters of your shop. I've worked in 65 man, 70,000 sq foot tool shops to the 9 man toolroom I am at presently. Everything from apprentices to operators to programmers to mold makers etc. My suggestion, get rid of cameras. That means not trusting. You hired them, why iz there diztrust? Make an environment as nice as you are able. Clean, decent tooling and supplies, good lighting. Condusive to learning. If something is not learned during a mistake, then it will happen again. Might have update your quality/checking procedures. Simple incentives create long term employees. Work all year with no excuses abscences,earn an extra day off. I could go on and on Jerry. I've been in a few shops to know what works better than others.

All of the above is right on track.... Sounds like your employee group culture has shifted, and you need to shift it back. From what I have read though, the questions really is, "What are you trying to improve?" Morale? Let's party!

You mentioned more mistakes... and when trying to decrease mistakes, you need to IMPROVE the learning culture (as mentioned above). This means making positive group learning out of each mistake (and not scarlet lettering the person who made it).

Mostly, employees want to learn and prosper (this after extensive hiring practices--not a comment about society as a whole). If you can start a new "teaching" and "mentoring" type culture--where people are not afraid to ask the dumb questions like, "Where does x go?" or "how do I do this right?" AND when they do ask, all that need to lean X are invited to watch and learn... you will not only decrease mistakes, but also increase team morale.

Further, those who know X and are gifted enough to be able to demonstrate/teach... also benefit as they too earn status AND get top share thier knowledge.

Without knowing what kind of business... it is hard to help further.

I do this for bigger corporations (lol you should a seen my typo before I corrected it OMG)... call me if you want to. Grant 916 483 9934

MarauderMax
09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
i've been around the block myself. built some bridges and blew up others :lol:

i started out sweeping floors and cleaning out machines in high school. i had 20 years in the trade before i started my own place. i know where they are coming from.

currently a 9 person shop, apprentices to skilled.

it does seem like a class of first graders at times though, the more rope you give them the more they take. not all, but at least a third.

freshly painted walls, new lighting, looking at a/c for next year.
cameras have become a necessity on the outside of the shop. i am only a 1/4 mile from the D.
on the inside, a. it keeps them honest - b. it protects my interest
i wish i could say i have 100 percent trust but the reality is i only do in half of them.

i can live with less profit. poor quality ii cannot. i tell them all, if you don't love what you do then please find a new career:beer:.

Maybe a burnout contest on Fridays? :confused: :burnout:

lji372
09-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Have a boss drunk day on fridays. You sit in a booth filled with tequila, jello, pudding shots, whatever. And they throw balls and you get drunk....;)

I don't work for you but I feel better already...

That ^^^^^right there makes me want to hire you!!

Then you'll learn to make your own hidden hitch too:laugh:

Cheeseheadbob
09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
I have found the following phrase uttered/shouted by my Special Forces drill sergeant in basic training very helpful over the years when I had to deal with some folks whose attitudes and job performance was slipping;

DO NOT MISTAKE KINDNESS FOR WEAKNESS!

Usually after a few minutes of deep contemplation, things started to change very quickly.

I am sure you will get the train back on the tracks!

lji372
09-30-2013, 06:38 PM
All of the above is right on track.... Sounds like your employee group culture has shifted, and you need to shift it back. From what I have read though, the questions really is, "What are you trying to improve?" Morale? Let's party!

You mentioned more mistakes... and when trying to decrease mistakes, you need to IMPROVE the learning culture (as mentioned above). This means making positive group learning out of each mistake (and not scarlet lettering the person who made it).

Mostly, employees want to learn and prosper (this after extensive hiring practices--not a comment about society as a whole). If you can start a new "teaching" and "mentoring" type culture--where people are not afraid to ask the dumb questions like, "Where does x go?" or "how do I do this right?" AND when they do ask, all that need to lean X are invited to watch and learn... you will not only decrease mistakes, but also increase team morale.

Further, those who know X and are gifted enough to be able to demonstrate/teach... also benefit as they too earn status AND get top share thier knowledge.

Without knowing what kind of business... it is hard to help further.

I do this for bigger corporations (lol you should a seen my typo before I corrected it OMG)... call me if you want to. Grant 916 483 9934

Trying to get a few guys to take more pride in their work. A few are awesome and I would be bummed to ever lose them.
The few others who don't seem to take pride in their work, make the most mistakes and drag down the morale of the guys who do care.
The mistakes of the apprentices are expected and accepted. It's a couple experienced guys with the nonchalant attitude that are killing me.

Cheeseheadbob
09-30-2013, 06:45 PM
It is easy for me to say the following since I am not in your shoes, but I would take the training ideas of 1Marauder and try to get the problem guys to buy in. If they don't, fire them because they will only continue to drag the rest of the crew down the crapper and undermine your authority.

The few others who don't seem to take pride in their work, make the most mistakes and drag down the morale of the guys who do care.

lji372
09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Grant I will call you. I'd hate to see a stone go unturned.
But a good old fashioned shape up or ship out is getting closer.

1 Bad Merc
09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
You know how most businesses handle it -make one an example. Sometimes getting rid of an experienced (dead weight) person sends a certain shock and awe message that tends to work wonders in a workplace. People seem to appreciate their jobs more and listen more attentively when you speak.

It stinks to have to do that but this is the real world and every product leaving the place has your name on it so if it is wrong its your name being dragged through the mud -not the employees.

RubberCtyRauder
09-30-2013, 08:42 PM
I didn't mean that you were a novice to all this Jerry. I don't own a shop, just work in them so was trying to give you an empoyee side of what I've liked so far. A bad apple or two will spoil the crew...mistakes cost time and money, some are bound to happen, but repeated mistakes need addressed. I'm a firm believer that if something should be learned from a mistake. When I was an apprentice, I made math errors once in a while, so my Lead man made me write the math out long hand on paper for months. Not sure of the mistakes happening with your situation, is it programming error? setup error" poor micrometer reading?maybe make someone check their work before running program or make them inspect every third piece or fifth piece etc. As someone else mentioned, someone might need to be the "example" and if the situation continues, give them a day off without pay to think about it. Maybe you need a shop foreman rather than yourself if that is part of what you do, to help the guys with work flow or problem areas, tougher jobs..."A go to man"

MyBlackBeasts
09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
i already provide their pop (soda to you southerners), ice tea and bottled water. we had a bbq at the shop about 6 weeks ago and a bonfire at my house a three weeks ago. also threw a small bonus in their check a couple weeks ago which i normally only do at christmas (is christmas banned here yet? if so sorry).

it seem more mistakes have happened since the kind acts though :mad2:

if one guy is looking for a job as of this morning.

i will not change who i am or what i do. i am willing to change those around me though :D

Actually the things you are doing are actually hurting your situation. The more things you give, the natural human psychological response is to expect even more.

All things an employee gets should be earned. This means you need to incentivize what you want out of them. IE: meet a production goal while maintaining expected quality and get 30 days shop supplied soda/etc. Don’t make the goal = lose the perk. Fill in the blank for the item you want and the perk that can be earned/kept.

If you only compensate by hourly you will get a bunch of time clock watchers that put out the minimum required to get thru a shift (this is majority not all, there are some that have the old-fashioned work ethic yet but they are few).

You want to create a work environment that makes the employee WANT to produce more for you.

If you can figure a way to foster some slight competition can be helpful. You don't want to start a HUGE competition environment as this can actually backfire on you. Small competition and winner gets free lunch or employee of the month reserved parking space.

When someone does something good or extra point it out. The natural reaction is for others to try & duplicate and that person tries to one up themselves.

Good luck. :)

MyBlackBeasts
09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Trying to get a few guys to take more pride in their work. A few are awesome and I would be bummed to ever lose them.
The mistakes of the apprentices are expected and accepted. It's a couple experienced guys with the nonchalant attitude that are killing me.

Give the guys producing the quality you want some sort of bouns on their work.

If others want to learn how to produce to that quality, have the good guys train & mentor and compensate them for this so they will be motivated to do so instead of protective of themselves.

Never base pay rate on how long they have worked for you. Pay rate should be based on productivity, quality of work, attendance, attitude, etc.

This way if someone has been with you for years and is slipping as an employee because they beileve "I've been here forever so I can screw off and nothing will happen" - doesn't happen if you don't base pay on employment time.

Don't waste time on screw-ups that don't listen/learn. If they can't hack it, replace them. You being clear & decisive about that will also help bolster the others with the "shock & awe" effect.

If you can figure out a profit sharing bonus (maybe tie it to 401) it can help. If you show them that the more $ the business earns = then more $ the employee earns - this can pay off big. Does not need to be huge either. A lot can be done with little.

lji372
10-01-2013, 04:00 AM
I didn't mean that you were a novice to all this Jerry. I don't own a shop, just work in them so was trying to give you an empoyee side of what I've liked so far. A bad apple or two will spoil the crew...mistakes cost time and money, some are bound to happen, but repeated mistakes need addressed. I'm a firm believer that if something should be learned from a mistake. When I was an apprentice, I made math errors once in a while, so my Lead man made me write the math out long hand on paper for months. Not sure of the mistakes happening with your situation, is it programming error? setup error" poor micrometer reading?maybe make someone check their work before running program or make them inspect every third piece or fifth piece etc. As someone else mentioned, someone might need to be the "example" and if the situation continues, give them a day off without pay to think about it. Maybe you need a shop foreman rather than yourself if that is part of what you do, to help the guys with work flow or problem areas, tougher jobs..."A go to man"

No offense at all.
I was just detailing that I have been where they are. I know I have worked for the silver spoon owners. :lol: it's not their fault it's the way the were brought up, handed a company and ignorant to what it takes to make a part:bs:

Sandman at times I think too much kindness may be the problem. But again, not willing to change, I'll see about changing the offenders first.

It's kind of like when someone is kind enough to put freshly graded sand at the end of a track, your not supposed to play in it but how do you resist:lol:

Oh and they have flex time. I used to stroll into work and the boss would say "what time do you start?" My reply was jokingly "when I walk n the door" :lol: don't get me wrong i would also pull an all nighter to get the job done as well. Working on a two way street was/is always important to me, give and take.

J-MAN
10-01-2013, 04:38 AM

Sounds like it's time for a "Come To Jesus" meeting with both of these guys. Have a sit down, not on the shop floor, lay out your specific concerns, where you want to see improvement and see how they respond. If they don't take responsibility for their poor performance or point the finger at other employees start looking for replacements. If there is improvement on their part make sure that you make them aware that you are pleased with that. No improvement, replace them, no more meetings.

RubberCtyRauder
10-01-2013, 05:13 AM
I think the shop that I was at did the lunches monthly and bagel Fridays is we worked 11 hour days and then 4 on Sat. pretty much year round..There was no 40 hour week. There was no "break time" except for half hour lunch. So it was sort of 'thank you" for the time we put in regularly, but on the same token if you couldn;t hack the hours, people eventually left..That much work is not for everyone. Money was great, overtime was daily, not after 40 hours, but the commitment to be there more hours than i slept in 7 days wore thin after 3 years.

gdmjoe
10-01-2013, 06:17 AM
loud2004marquis - "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
But you get even more with feces. :D

gdmjoe
10-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Reward the performers. doesn't have to be a big deal, all of us like recognition for a job well done even if it's just a THANK YOU!
be sure to put a note in the employee's file as next-review reminder.
Let the non-performers know that... improvement is needed / mandatory.
quantify and be specific.
provide encouragement and training (if necessary).
indicate the consequences if improvement is not obtained.
put a note in the employee's file to provide documentation should further action be required and/or how improvement was obtained.
be strict but fair.
ABOVE ALL ... Be consistent and fair.Group acknowledgement while welcome, only goes so far and rewards all - the performers and the slackers.

lji372
10-01-2013, 07:11 AM
thank you all for being my sounding board.

all of your ideas, advice, and perspectives are appreciated.
it is becoming evident the source of my issues include 1 that was let go monday and 3 others who need a FIRM WARNING.
7 for the most part are on the right page. may not all be all stars but genuinely care about their quality of work, and that's good enough for me.

and WOW!! till this discussion i never even realized i was up to 11 people WTF!! i only wanted 4.
i need a shop owner so i can go back on the floor full time, it's less headaches :D

Odinson
10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
I have found the following phrase uttered/shouted by my Special Forces drill sergeant in basic training very helpful over the years when I had to deal with some folks whose attitudes and job performance was slipping;

DO NOT MISTAKE KINDNESS FOR WEAKNESS!

Usually after a few minutes of deep contemplation, things started to change very quickly.

I am sure you will get the train back on the tracks!

Nice! :beer:

Another variant. Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean I can't.

If you know yourself (and can't be easily influenced or tricked) casually pull each guy into the office for an extended rap session about common interests. (it's really an inline job interview but don't sell it that way) This helps you get inside their heads, find out if there are debilitating things going on in their life explaining the slacking, and it helps the other workers see what the workplace would be like without them.

Assuming you don't have a shop full of goofballs, when you pull the troublemaker out of the pack, some will notice. They will change their behavior to point him out.

So long as all your time isn't spent in the office rapping, you can continue this to infinity until the problem is clear to you.

1 Bad Merc
10-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you took the Shock and Awe approach -good for you.

I know it was hard but sometimes it's the right thing to do for you and also for the employee.

People need a change of scenery sometimes and being let go is not always a bad thing for that person.

Jeffonebuck
10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
If you have employees that do there job and go beyond, give incentives, ie; a couple hours off on a Friday, monetary or let it reflect in a end of year Bonus, also let them know verbally. If you have a bad egg, pull him aside and give him a warning and let him know that if it continues that his wages will reflect it. If you get in someone's pocket, he will either respond or walk.

Limited360
10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
I like Pizza and Beer Friday's myself... :)

Monetary bonus for least # of ****#d up parts is always a good one in my book...

that being said I have seen your shop and it is a very decent setup! I truly think money talks or walks... however implementation of that is a whole new thing...

Maybe do a free shoe deal for safety (write off) for everyone once a year. They used to do this at my old employer for anyone whom worked in the dyno! I always got new snow boots from it and kept wearing my sneakers ;)

1Marauder
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Reward the performers.

doesn't have to be a big deal, all of us like recognition for a job well done even if it's just a THANK YOU!
be sure to put a note in the employee's file as next-review reminder.
Let the non-performers know that...

improvement is needed / mandatory.
quantify and be specific.
provide encouragement and training (if necessary).
indicate the consequences if improvement is not obtained.
put a note in the employee's file to provide documentation should further action be required and/or how improvement was obtained.
be strict but fair.
ABOVE ALL ... Be consistent and fair.
Group acknowledgement while welcome, only goes so far and rewards all - the performers and the slackers.

This and the new comments are very good... keeping the 1 or 2 non performers does bring down morale--you'd think it was the other way around.

Also, there is job IQ (smarts) and Job EQ (attitude/emotional quotient)... and equal parts are needed from both. Letting go of the negative people makes life/work so much easier...

J-MAN
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Stick around the shop more. Sneaking away to Grand Rapids for an Afternoon Delight with Curless sends a bad message to your employees. Even your :censor: employees disapprove!

lji372
10-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Stick around the shop more. Sneaking away to Grand Rapids for an Afternoon Delight with Curless sends a bad message to your employees. Even your :censor: employees disapprove!

Agreed!!!! But it feels good :laugh:

wannaMM
10-02-2013, 07:49 AM
It has come to managements attention that employees are dying at work and failing to fall over.

Let it be known that this behavior will no longer be tolerated....Failure to fall over will result in termination and immediate loss of benefits!!!

:)

Bluerauder
10-02-2013, 04:51 PM
BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES!!!!

On the wall of the condo that we rent each year in Ocean City, MD.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC02803.JPG (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23235/title/the-beatings-will-continue/cat/500)