PDA

View Full Version : MM steering?? noticable tighter than a CV???

marauder410
10-01-2013, 06:09 AM
I have a few buddy's who have crown Victoria's and one has a 2003 CV PI and he drove my car and said my sterring is noticeable tighter than his CV??

is this normal because when purchased car 3 years ago noticed it too but didn't seen to be anything wrong with it....3 years of owing and haven't done NOTHING power steering wise...

just wanted to ask because every person who drives my car says same thing...

marauder410
10-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Im sure someone have chime in that owes a MM and a CV...if there is noticeable tighter steering in our MM???

kinda feels like my power steerring assistance is staying engaged or something

but im so used to it now after 3 years...feels normal to me

sflrainmaker01
10-01-2013, 06:49 AM
My steering is real tight, especially at like off-idle backing out of a driveway or parking space. It's almost like a hand-over-hand! I can't compare to a CV, but to my old 1992 Town Car, it's a HUGE difference. It's more comparable (at low speed as mentioned above) to driving my 86 Fox Body GT.

gdmjoe
10-01-2013, 07:25 AM
2003 Marauder versus 2003 P71 handling ... different front spring rates - P71 higher,
different rear springs - P71 has coil.
different shocks, front and rear.
different sway bars, front and rear - P71 smaller.
different front-end alignment spec's.
fewer curbs/burms jumped - advantage Marauder.
etc., etc., etc..

fastblackmerc
10-01-2013, 09:14 AM
The Marauder has VAPS (Variable Assist Power Steering).

This is from ask.cars.com:

Variable-assist steering is a power-steering system that varies the effort required to steer the vehicle.

These systems typically require less effort at low speeds or while parallel parking and more at highway speeds. If you’ve ever driven a vehicle with manual steering, you know it is the most difficult to steer when stopped or at slow speeds. Power steering removes that difficulty but consequently may make higher-speed steering too easy. Too easy? You bet. The disadvantages of over-assisted steering include less steering feedback and a greater chance of the driver over-steering when at a high speed, especially in an evasive maneuver.

Don’t confuse this with oversteer, a characteristic of a vehicle. Here I simply mean the act of steering too sharply to avoid a perceived obstacle. Oftentimes accidents occur when a motorist overreacts to a perceived threat and brakes excessively or steers into another vehicle’s path. One near miss in heavy traffic inspires an actual accident nearby. Over-assisted steering simply makes it easier to steer too sharply at higher speeds.

Most power-steering designs use a hydraulic system to assist the driver in turning the wheel. It’s technically a power-assist arrangement because there is typically an underlying direct manual steering apparatus. (This is why you can steer a power-steering-equipped car with its engine shut off, but it’s hard.) Variable-assist steering, as you might expect, varies the amount of steering assist based on input from the vehicle speed sensor in the onboard computer. Its value is in its ability to make stationary steering easier and high-speed steering firmer than could ever be accomplished in a conventional system with the compromise, fixed degree of assist. Variable assist does this all in the same vehicle, seamlessly.

gdmjoe
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
fastblackmerc - The Marauder has VAPS (Variable Assist Power Steering). ...
So does the 2003+ P71 (or any other Crown Victoria and/or Marquis).

Bradley G
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I have the older gen 2002 LSE with HPP it has 16" tires 60 series tires , I know newer models go 17".
The Marauders' tires are 50-55 series and 18" , that alone besides springs and stuff will be the most dramatic change in the feel.
Marauder for the win :coolman:

gdmjoe
10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Bradley G - I have the older gen 2002 LSE with HPP it has 16" tires 60 series tires , I know newer models go 17".
The Marauders' tires are 50-55 series and 18" , that alone besides springs and stuff will be the most dramatic change in the feel.
Marauder for the win
YEP! Forgot about the wheels.

If the P71 is a 2003 it would have P225/60VRx16

P71s didn't get 17" until 2007 - P235/55Rx17