PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy dead at 66

MERCMAN
10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Author Tom Clancy has died at the age 0f 66, sources with his publisher and family tell CNN.

Clancy's first international military and espionage thriller was "The Hunt for Red October," published in 1984. Other best-sellers included "Red Storm Rising," "Patriot Games" and "Rainbow Six."

RIP Tom. Thanks for the great books

RF Overlord
10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
True story:

I was on the boat to Martha's Vineyard one morning (my company has offices there) and they decided to do an unscheduled Coast Guard-required man-overboard drill. I was leaning on the rail talking to a guy and we were making fun of the "Keystone Kops" efforts of the Steamship Authority to fulfil the task. After I returned to where my colleague was, he asked: "Do you know who that was?!" I replied that I did not... when my friend told me it was Tom Clancy I didn't believe him until I looked again. Sure enough he had put his mirrored sunglasses back on and it was him.

Pat
10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
So young, will miss him greatly, did mag for modern military fiction, couldn't put down "Hunt for Red October" even the title is tintilating.

RIP Tom,

Mr. Man
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
True story:

I was on the cigarette boat run to Martha's Vineyard one morning (my company has "clientele' " there:rasta:) and the crew decided to do an unscheduled man-overboard drill with an uncooperative narc.
So there I was leaning on the railgun talking to some guy and we were making fun of the "Keystone Kops" efforts of the Coast Guard to catch us.
After I returned to where my helmsman was, he asked: "Do you know who that was Baub?!" I replied that I did not...and punched him in the face for talking to me unsolicited. When my crewman told me it was Tom Clancy I didn't believe him, and kicked him in the nads for the hell of it, then I looked again. Sure enough he had put his mirrored sunglasses back on and it was him.Fixed

Thought you were out of the smuggling business Baub? :D

RIP Tom Clancy. I have read many of his books. While he tended to have diarrhea of the technical jargon he still told a good story.

Cheeseheadbob
10-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Now that there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is real dang funny!!!!

ctrlraven
10-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Always been a fan of his stuff, I played the heck out of his Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell game series and have been waiting years now for the new Rainbow Six: Patriots title to come out.

RIP Mr. Clancy

MM03MOK
10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
My brother is a finish carpenter and works on a lot of highest end mansions around Cape Cod and the Islands. Clancy's wife is from Martha's Vineyard and they have a number of homes in Oak Bluffs. One winter my brother commuted on the ferry to work on one of their homes doing an extensive remodel. My brother said Clancy used to bum cigarettes from him.

Mr. Man
10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
My brother is a finish carpenter and works on a lot of highest end mansions around Cape Cod and the Islands. Clancy's wife is from Martha's Vineyard and they have a number of homes in Oak Bluffs. One winter my brother commuted on the ferry to work on one of their homes doing an extensive remodel. My brother said Clancy used to bum cigarettes from him. I told my brother I live next to the Kennedy compound and that Ted used to come over we used to throw our empties back over the fence. It used to drive Rose nuts with anger and Ted and I would giggle and laugh til our stomachs couldn't take it anymore.Didn't know you knew Ted. :D