PDA

View Full Version : MotorTrend: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG

ctrlraven
10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7g8AtmYm4
VZ7g8AtmYm4

RF Overlord
10-08-2013, 07:25 AM
While it may be the best car in the known universe, it's still tremendously ugly.

Joe Walsh
10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Myehh....:shake:

Looks like a Toyota Solara with a front spoiler.

Even if I had the money, I'm not buying an AMG with a 4 cylinder!
IMHO : AMGs are ground pounding, thumping big V8s... mit Kompressors!

It sounds like a Ricer, and with 177 HP per Liter, it will impress the Ricers.

(Huffing 26+ LBs of boost....:eek:....It probably will impress the Mercedes warranty claim department too.)

sflrainmaker01
10-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Myehh....:shake:

Looks like a Toyota Solara with a front spoiler.

Even if I had the money, I'm not buying an AMG with a 4 cylinder!
IMHO Mercede AMGs are ground pounding, thumping big V8s mit Kompressors!

Sounds like a Ricer, and with 177 HP per Liter, it will impress the Ricers.

(With 26+ LBs of boost....:eek:....It probably will impress the Mercedes warranty claim department too.)

:eek:^^^^^ A big +1 ^^^^^:eek:

But, the stats are amazing!

RF Overlord
10-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Even if I had the money, I'm not buying an AMG with a 4 cylinder!Unfortunately, that's the way of the world now. Conventional V8s are frowned upon by the gummint and by the greenies, so car makers have to try to squeeze unreasonable power from tiny 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

One of the local taxi companies I use through my employer has a 1997 Crown Vic with 435,000 miles on it last I knew. Try getting even half that out of today's increasingly over-engineered and over-stressed little engines.

slickster
10-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Yea pistons gonna fly

Vortech347
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm going against the grain. That is pretty bad ass. Besides modern tech has come very far when it comes to controlling higher cylinder pressures now.

whitey
10-08-2013, 12:36 PM
i'll take it for $30k, without the mercedes emblems...

Limited360
10-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm going against the grain. That is pretty bad ass. Besides modern tech has come very far when it comes to controlling higher cylinder pressures now.

Will not be any issues. They are running these in durability fleets already... 150k actual real world miles.

I am running the non silly boost version, its a series production engine.

Marauderjack
10-09-2013, 03:08 AM
While it may be the best car in the known universe, it's still tremendously ugly.

^^^+10^^^ :shake:

Joe Walsh
10-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Will not be any issues. They are running these in durability fleets already... 150k actual real world miles.

I am running the non silly boost version, its a series production engine.

But what about the silly boost versions?

I doubt too many 26+ PSI boosted engines run reliably to 150,000 miles.
I'd like to see a compression test done on a real world, driven hard and revved high 150,000 mile, 26 PSI engine.
Can't imagine what kind of spring pressures they need to run to keep the intake valve from floating at 7,000 rpm with all that boost.

BTW: What kind of boost are the stock EVOs and WRXs running?

Limited360
10-09-2013, 04:15 AM
But what about the silly boost versions?

I doubt too many 26+ PSI boosted engines run reliably to 150,000 miles.
I'd like to see a compression test done on a real world, driven hard and revved high 150,000 mile, 26 PSI engine.
Can't imagine what kind of spring pressures they need to run to keep the intake valve from floating at 7,000 rpm with all that boost.

BTW: What kind of boost are the stock EVOs and WRXs running?

The AMG variant of this motor is running the 'silly' boost... for a OEM car that is, 26psi is a bit on high side. That being said I would expect no issues from this engine at 150k. It has proper hardware to support this type of power delivery.

Once again the regular boost level (14-18psi depending on ambient conditions) is already a series production engine that has been on sale for some time period already.

Also let me be very clear about the comment on 150k miles. This is a government regulation and every OEM runs every car variant to either 120k or 150k miles (depending on what emissions standard they certified to) and then has to perform a standard emissions test. It has to pass the standards still, so I highly doubt there is any significant engine deterioration as lack of compression would absolutely cause a tailpipe emissions concern. Also this is an idle emissions test, this would be a FTP75, SC03, US06 and HWFET.

These are real world 150k miles driven by real drivers on real roads! If you live in Denver, Detroit, Bemidji, Corpus Christi, LA, Las Vegas and few other cities, I am sure you have seen a group of 'M-Plate' cars running around, these are either a 120/150k durability car or a 120/150k OBD durability car. This isn't anything new. Feel free to PM me for more information.

As an FYI the Focus ST does up to 20psi stock as well. People are seeing 22psi however with an aftermarket boost gauge installed as well...

My cruze ECO ran 26psi for 18,000 miles until I sold it without any issue. Stock boost level was 12-16psi. This approach is the future for downsized boosted engines. Run boost to get power but do it on a small displacement motor so when at cruise you are just sipping on the fuel!

jimlam56
10-09-2013, 04:48 AM
The AMG variant of this motor is running the 'silly' boost... for a OEM car that is, 26psi is a bit on high side. That being said I would expect no issues from this engine at 150k. It has proper hardware to support this type of power delivery.

Once again the regular boost level (14-18psi depending on ambient conditions) is already a series production engine that has been on sale for some time period already.

Also let me be very clear about the comment on 150k miles. This is a government regulation and every OEM runs every car variant to either 120k or 150k miles (depending on what emissions standard they certified to) and then has to perform a standard emissions test. It has to pass the standards still, so I highly doubt there is any significant engine deterioration as lack of compression would absolutely cause a tailpipe emissions concern. Also this is an idle emissions test, this would be a FTP75, SC03, US06 and HWFET.

These are real world 150k miles driven by real drivers on real roads! If you live in Denver, Detroit, Bemidji, Corpus Christi, LA, Las Vegas and few other cities, I am sure you have seen a group of 'M-Plate' cars running around, these are either a 120/150k durability car or a 120/150k OBD durability car. This isn't anything new. Feel free to PM me for more information.

As an FYI the Focus ST does up to 20psi stock as well. People are seeing 22psi however with an aftermarket boost gauge installed as well...

My cruze ECO ran 26psi for 18,000 miles until I sold it without any issue. Stock boost level was 12-16psi. This approach is the future for downsized boosted engines. Run boost to get power but do it on a small displacement motor so when at cruise you are just sipping on the fuel!

Did you ever get a Focus ST Joe?
I've had mine since January, it is everything they promised and more...

Limited360
10-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Did you ever get a Focus ST Joe?
I've had mine since January, it is everything they promised and more...

:) Downsized and boosted FTW!

I know they have a hard time keeping the Focus ST's on the lots here in the Detroit area...

RF Overlord
10-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Perhaps my comment was coloured by the Ford EcoBoost V6, which appears to be overly complex and will likely cost an arm and both legs to repair once it gets old. This AMG car already costs both arms, both legs, both ears, and an eye so I would hope it's engineered to last.

Plus, if you can afford it in the first place, you don't care what it costs to keep running.

And did I mention how ugly it is?

Haggis
10-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Perhaps my comment was coloured by the Ford EcoBoost V6, which appears to be overly complex and will likely cost an arm and both legs to repair once it gets old. This AMG car already costs both arms, both legs, both ears, and an eye so I would hope it's engineered to last.

Plus, if you can afford it in the first place, you don't care what it costs to keep running.

And did I mention how ugly it is?

Bob, you pretty much described yourself above.

Joe Walsh
10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I was never a fan of the 'starter' series cars that Mercedes, Porsche and BMW offered/offer.
To me it says: "I really want to own a __________!!!!......(but I really can't afford one.:o)"

lji372
10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I used to think crown Vic's were just another ordinary blah looking car.

Opinions change :D

I also never believed boost got me ****, my opinion has been swayed there too :laugh:

Mr. Man
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Sounds like the reviewer really wanted to or was told to like this car but had to choose his words carefully to describe a car he really didn't care for.

It's ugly too.

lji372
10-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Sounds like the reviewer really wanted to or was told to like this car but had to choose his words carefully to describe a car he really didn't care for.

It's ugly too.

I would agree with your assessment. He did appear to bite his tongue a couple times. It is a lot of hp out of a little motor though.