PDA

View Full Version : Class glass hood question

RR|Suki
10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
So my hood is here... but.

It's rather wavy, and there is a bit of a dip in the bulge on the driver's side.

Second, there are lots of deep sanding scratches under the gel coat, in the fibreglass itself.

Par for the course?

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2

RR|Suki
10-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Pic of said dip

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/CAM00120_zpsbd8825f0.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/CAM00120_zpsbd8825f0.jpg.html)

slickster
10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Eew did it come like that out the box? I would call classglass

RR|Suki
10-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Eew did it come like that out the box? I would call classglass

sure did, checked for damage and it looked fine so the driver went on his way. After taking it in and looking the actual shape of it, the big dips became very obvious.

I have to say, I'm shocked at the number of views on this thread, but no yay or nay as far as this being the typical quality of their work :confused:

I saw statements in a different thread about filling being needed, but this seems rather excessive

james79stang
10-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I got there #2 produced 2.5" cowl and was happy with what I got and lot's of compliment's.There is a slight dip in the middle but not enough to bother me. With the problems you have, need to give them a call/ email with pic of issue. they seemed to care about customer satisfaction.

MOTOWN
10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
My hood was the 1st one off the mold, it wasnt as wavvy as yours but Marty O's paint guy was not happy with the amount of prep work required to bring it up to his standards, but thats typical with a single layer glass hood of this type.

Leave it out in the sun for a few days, then take it to the paint shop, trust me!

lji372
10-10-2013, 06:58 PM
My hood was the 1st one off the mold, it wasnt as wavvy as yours but Marty O's paint guy was not happy with the amount of prep work required to bring it up to his standards, but thats typical with a single layer glass hood of this type.

Leave it out in the sun for a few days, then take it to the paint shop, trust me!

So how's Marty's dyno guy liking his amount of prep work:lol:

MOTOWN
10-10-2013, 07:05 PM
So how's Marty's dyno guy liking his amount of prep work:lol:

Jeff is the man! just another car to him:burnout:

RR|Suki
10-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Good info to have, are the sanding marks under the gel coat typical as well then?

Body guy was not pleased with the condition of the hood compared to the glass pieces he usually gets. He should be calling me tomorrow, we'll see if he thinks it's worth trying to salvage.

maineiac
10-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Shouldn't be sanding marks under gel sound like they
had air in it and ground it out,I have never built a hood but I have built many boats and parts in molds before.

MOTOWN
10-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Good info to have, are the sanding marks under the gel coat typical as well then?

Body guy was not pleased with the condition of the hood compared to the glass pieces he usually gets. He should be calling me tomorrow, we'll see if he thinks it's worth trying to salvage.

I didnt have the sanding marks, but i had to talk with him to get him to paint it! i think it could have been made better with bracing underneath to eliminate flexing, i may add hood pins to mines to keep it in place, i really like the pins after seeing them on Jerrys beast!

RR|Suki
10-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I appreciate the info guys

martyo
10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I didnt have the sanding marks, but i had to talk with him to get him to pi may add hood pins to mines to keep it in place, i really like the pins after seeing them on Jerrys beast!

Let me know about that......

lji372
10-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I didnt have the sanding marks, but i had to talk with him to get him to paint it! i think it could have been made better with bracing underneath to eliminate flexing, i may add hood pins to mines to keep it in place, i really like the pins after seeing them on Jerrys beast!

Not a bad idea, left mine (forgot to put them in:shake:)out last week for a little cruise. Uh, didn't get a warm feeling when I saw the corner wiggling:depress:

I do like specragod's myself;) looks more modern:beer:

But he doesn't even need'm. It's a dtr:lol:

martyo
10-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Not a bad idea, left mine (forgot to put them in:shake:)out last week for a little cruise. Uh, didn't get a warm feeling when I saw the corner wiggling:depress:

I do like specragod's myself;) looks more modern:beer:

But he doesn't even need'm. It's a dtr:lol:

Every time i get in one of my cars, I tug on, among other things, my hood, just in case....

On more than one occasion, I have found mysel pulling over because something is wiggling. :D

lji372
10-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Every time i get in one of my cars, I tug on, among other things, my hood, just in case....

On more than one occasion, I have found mysel pulling over because something is wiggling. :D

I hope you have limo tint:lol:

RR|Suki
10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Update: Body guy thought it over, called me back, and doesn't really want to try and save this hood. Said it might be possible, but will end up being extremely expensive, and still may be only so so.

In light of that I called Class Glass, they had me email a picture of the problem. We'll see if it all goes well. I'll make sure to post up which ever way it goes.

loud2004marquis
10-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Hopefully you get it resolved, got the same hood as you and mine definitely doesn't look how yours does.

RR|Suki
10-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Well, I heard back, and their position is that they all look basically like mine. His statement was that "that's how it is in the mold" :rolleyes:

Sooooooo yeah, he said he'd give me a refund if I send it back, but I was kinda pissed so I told him I'd let him know.
I'll have to call back and see if it's a thing where they only want to cover the purchase price, and non of the shipping. If that's the case it wouldn't be worth it to me at all to go through the aggravation.

We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll put it up for sale for Michigan peeps, see if anyone wants it, maybe they'd be more willing to mess with it... apparently they all have dips in em.

JoeBoomz
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for letting us know, I am unimpressed to hear about this. We probably won't go this route then. We have a long way to ship it, only to deal with quality issues like this.

Marauderjack
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
The only reason I can see that it would have a dip in it would be from too much catalyst when it is in the mold causing rapid curing, excessive heat and expanding the hood thus pushing it away from the mold!!:shake:

You would think they had more experience than that.....totally unacceptable!!:argue:

Good Luck!!

lji372
10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
After seeing your pic I would call it unacceptable! Send that bad boy back and tell him to do it right!! Just my .02

RR|Suki
10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Like I say, they're willing to refund me, and I haven't called back but I suspect it would be minus shipping.

That said I was thinking about it, and maybe if it's going to look like hell anyway, maybe I should just vinyl wrap it purple :banana::lol:

Maybe I'll sell it, we'll see. Seems a good number of people are willing to take a good degree of imperfection. And there'd be no shipping charge :cool4:

I want to do everything I can to mitigate before going the cancel charge route :D

Ms. Denmark
10-15-2013, 12:10 PM

Raleigh Marauder
10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
I see that as unacceptable as well... I had thought about one of these, but definitely not after seeing that.

jflave
10-15-2013, 01:06 PM
My hood is not on the car yet but i just took another look at it and it's fine, no hump like yours. Not that it helps you in any way, just info.

Limited360
10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
can you get a few more pics...

curious to see the concern vs. the reflection... sorry to be a pain...

RR|Suki
10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
can you get a few more pics...

curious to see the concern vs. the reflection... sorry to be a pain...

not sure what you mean by seeing the concern vs. the reflection. Either way, I'll try to remember to take some more pictures

Limited360
10-15-2013, 04:33 PM
not sure what you mean by seeing the concern vs. the reflection. Either way, I'll try to remember to take some more pictures

curious as I am local and I may scoop it up if your not interested in spending $$$ to fix it... I have some buddies who like side work...

RR|Suki
10-15-2013, 04:43 PM
curious as I am local and I may scoop it up if your not interested in spending $$$ to fix it... I have some buddies who like side work...

Ahh, ok I gotcha. I'm gonna try one more guy before I totally give up on it.

But yeah if they are saying mine is within what they find acceptable, at least you can actually take a look at it and see if it's something you want to mess with vs. having to mess around with having one shipped without seeing it :eek:

Limited360
10-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Ahh, ok I gotcha. I'm gonna try one more guy before I totally give up on it.

But yeah if they are saying mine is within what they find acceptable, at least you can actually take a look at it and see if it's something you want to mess with vs. having to mess around with having one shipped without seeing it :eek:

yeah I waited on pulling the trigger and figured I would let some guinea pigs let us all know how they came out!

I need my hood painted as its cracked like crows feet... so deciding if its time for a hood vs. getting a respray....

I hope you get a lower estimate and can keep it.. I do really like the design!

RR|Suki
10-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Haha, I thought I was doing the same thing, but all I saw was praise for their work. So I figured it must be good to go.

That's why I made sure to post so people can see there's a lot of variance in what you get.

Limited360
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Haha, I thought I was doing the same thing, but all I saw was praise for their work. So I figured it must be good to go.

That's why I made sure to post so people can see there's a lot of variance in what you get.

Well I do appreciate your post!

MOTOWN
10-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Its really unfortunate you got a bad hood, but i know for a fact they are not all like yours, mines isnt, or the other two other members i know purchased, one is sitting in my garage as we speak and its fine. i would have had him send me a replacement.

Jeffonebuck
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I do like the design, but like some of you I have ben waiting to see the end product and comments.

MOTOWN
10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
I do like the design, but like some of you I have ben waiting to see the end product and comments.

Ill post pics when i pick my car up from MO's speed shop

Ms. Denmark
10-16-2013, 02:31 AM

RR|Suki
10-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Its really unfortunate you got a bad hood, but i know for a fact they are not all like yours, mines isnt, or the other two other members i know purchased, one is sitting in my garage as we speak and its fine. i would have had him send me a replacement.

Really its besides the point that they aren't all THAT bad. I think the real take away is that there is a broad spectrum in what they find acceptable to send out.

It is what it is, I sent them the same picture posted here, and the response was that my hood is fine.
So the option I was given was to ship it back for a refund of the purchase price if I don't want it.

I'm not going to fight with them to get them to make the right choice.

PS others have PM'd me with the same bird bath type dip issue.

RR|Suki
10-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Almost forgot to update

Put the hood on last week:

Pics of the hood off, mainly because the car looks best that way

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/Marauder/IMG_1662_zpsf2c9d8ee.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/Marauder/IMG_1662_zpsf2c9d8ee.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/Marauder/IMG_1663_zpsaf1edbea.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/Marauder/IMG_1663_zpsaf1edbea.jpg.html)

pics of the hood

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/Marauder/IMG_1664_zpsb2422cfd.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/Marauder/IMG_1664_zpsb2422cfd.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/Marauder/IMG_1666_zps5219e72e.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/Marauder/IMG_1666_zps5219e72e.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/Marauder/IMG_1667_zps89999568.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/VTRauder/media/Marauder/IMG_1667_zps89999568.jpg.html)

It actually looks pretty good in the pictures, the real trick will be the cost to get it to look ok in real life :lol: