PDA

View Full Version : How to go about getting a title for this car

bigcowl-imp
10-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Limited360
10-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Just have to apply for an abandoned vehicle title...

Curless
10-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Its not that simple....it has to be within 30 days of the last time someone signed for a work order on the car....call a lawyer or go to the secretary of state website...

Mebot
10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah or just check with your local dmv. You should be able to provide year, make,, model and license plate for a start. See what you're dealing with

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away...

EMAS
10-17-2013, 07:15 PM
A good friend has owned his shop for about 30 years and a guy dropped off his car to get a bunch of stuff done and the guy never came back and its been over 8-10 years.........what would he have to do to get a tittle for it ??? I want the car but i don`t want to buy it unless i have a tittle first...

If he got the owner to sign a repair order in most states the shop owner can get a title by filing a mechanicman's lien.

Some states also allow one form or another of a bonded title where you send a registered letter to the last known address of the last owner of record and if they don't respond you can get a provisional title that will turn into a regular title after an amount of time. However if the last registered owner shows up before that time they can claim it w/o you having any recourse.

Finally there are no title states and companies in those states that provide title service. Basically you send them a notarized bill of sale, the process it and get it registered in that state and then sell you back the car and that bill of sale is accompanied with a letter stating that that state x is a no-title state. Usually it is only cars that are more than 10 years old that don't have titles in those states. Of course if it has been sitting around that long then it is probably more than 10 years old. Those companies used to advertise in the back of Hemmings, Old car price guide and similar publications. I used the services of one of those companies 25 years or so ago w/o any problems.

Limited360
10-17-2013, 07:25 PM
I retract my statement... I know my father has done this to a few cars at his shop over the years...

fastblackmerc
10-18-2013, 02:36 AM
If he got the owner to sign a repair order in most states the shop owner can get a title by filing a mechanicman's lien.

Some states also allow one form or another of a bonded title where you send a registered letter to the last known address of the last owner of record and if they don't respond you can get a provisional title that will turn into a regular title after an amount of time. However if the last registered owner shows up before that time they can claim it w/o you having any recourse.

Finally there are no title states and companies in those states that provide title service. Basically you send them a notarized bill of sale, the process it and get it registered in that state and then sell you back the car and that bill of sale is accompanied with a letter stating that that state x is a no-title state. Usually it is only cars that are more than 10 years old that don't have titles in those states. Of course if it has been sitting around that long then it is probably more than 10 years old. Those companies used to advertise in the back of Hemmings, Old car price guide and similar publications. I used the services of one of those companies 25 years or so ago w/o any problems.

This is he correct answer. :up:

martyo
10-18-2013, 05:03 AM
My experience dictates that this is a state specific issue and the process can vary widely from state to state.

What model year is the vehicle?

And is MI a title state for all vehicles or only those newer than a certain year?

Then, of course, there are ways of getting this done that are less than legit but you have to assess your tolerance for skirting the letter of the law....

Curless
10-18-2013, 06:03 AM
My experience dictates that this is a state specific issue and the process can vary widely from state to state.

What model year is the vehicle?

And is MI a title state for all vehicles or only those newer than a certain year?

Then, of course, there are ways of getting this done that are less than legit but you have to assess your tolerance for skirting the letter of the law....

You are correct Marty, I have had this situation in my shop before here in Michigan... I gave up and pushed the car out onto the street...they do not make it easy for us...

1Marauder
10-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Mechanics Lien is the way to go. Shouldn't be impossible, especially given the time frame. As long as you have the repair order docs, and the repair bills you didn't get paid...

I BOUGHT a car that was left at a repair shop once.

Of course... if the value of said car isn't worth the time nor repair bills...

Jimimac43
10-18-2013, 11:26 AM
mechanics lien, that's how friend ended up with a 55 T-bird.

bigcowl-imp
10-18-2013, 01:08 PM
You are correct Marty, I have had this situation in my shop before here in Michigan... I gave up and pushed the car out onto the street...they do not make it easy for us...

L.Mark
10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Go to the junk yard get some vin plates of the same year and aply for junk title...:D

bigcowl-imp
10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I don `t think so mister. :~)

Curless
10-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Don`t make me cry..The car is a mint 86 Mustang GT...When my friend that owns the shop got the car he took it all apart and painted it the right way and its beautiful...He painted it a charcoil greyish color....he painted the underside, engine bay etc etc its sweet and straight.....theres no motor, trans and not all the black interior is there....i want it bad and the price is right.

Just lettin you know what I have experienced....not saying you can't make it happen but its not just paperwork here in Mich

martyo
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Don`t make me cry..The car is a mint 86 Mustang GT...When my friend that owns the shop got the car he took it all apart and painted it the right way and its beautiful...He painted it a charcoil greyish color....he painted the underside, engine bay etc etc its sweet and straight.....theres no motor, trans and not all the black interior is there....i want it bad and the price is right.

At least post pictures!

MyBlackBeasts
10-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Here is info straight off the MI website. Good luck!

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1631-27228--,00.html

martyo
10-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Here is info straight off the MI website. Good luck!

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1631-27228--,00.html

Bottom line, they don't make it easy.

EMAS
10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Bottom line, they don't make it easy.

Looks pretty easy to me all things considered. Pay $10, fill out some forms, send out some registered letters and wait the required time for someone to respond. Of course in this case the shop owner waited way too long.

The other problem with this method is that it is supposed to make the shop owner whole and requires a public sale, ie offering it to the highest bidder, with the proper legal announcement and not a private sale to a friend of the shop owner.

martyo
10-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Looks pretty easy to me all things considered. Pay $10, fill out some forms, send out some registered letters and wait the required time for someone to respond. Of course in this case the shop owner waited way too long.

The other problem with this method is that it is supposed to make the shop owner whole and requires a public sale, ie offering it to the highest bidder, with the proper legal announcement and not a private sale to a friend of the shop owner.

Unless they can roll back the clock, I think the time issue may kill them, which is my point for saying it isn't easy.

And the public sale part makes it less likely that big-cowl will end up with the car. Which was also part of my point for saying it isn't easy.

bigcowl-imp
10-19-2013, 08:13 PM
What if i take the vin number up to sos and tell them i lost my title but i never put the car in my name ?? Then what would they say or do ?

martyo
10-19-2013, 09:50 PM
What if i take the vin number up to sos and tell them i lost my title but i never put the car in my name ?? Then what would they say or do ?

I would guess they would ask for a Bill of Sale at some point.

EMAS
10-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Typically they will only issue a lost title to the person they show in their system.

A title service seems like your best option.

Curless
10-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Like I said, been here done this....let it go, its not worth the effort to not end up getting it.

Marauderjack
10-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Part it out!!;)

EMAS
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/how.htm

bigcowl-imp
10-22-2013, 08:51 AM
I would guess they would ask for a Bill of Sale at some point.

But i have a bill of sale but its so old we can`t read his signature ????

bigcowl-imp
10-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Anyone try a title company ??

martyo
10-22-2013, 08:56 AM

My friend here in GA has had good luck with them.

martyo
10-22-2013, 08:57 AM
But i have a bill of sale but its so old we can`t read his signature ????

I am sure that can be fixed...... ;) :rolleyes:

EMAS
10-22-2013, 11:41 AM

As I mentioned in post #5 yes I did use a title company years ago, but it has been so long I don't have a clue as to the name of the company, I just remember they were based out of Alabama since it was Alabama plates and registration I got for it.

Post #26 has a link to one company but I have not used them, since they say they started business after I got mine.

bigcowl-imp
04-18-2014, 07:37 PM
.............................. .

bigcowl-imp
04-18-2014, 07:52 PM

bigcowl-imp
04-18-2014, 08:06 PM
.............................. ..

lji372
04-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Way to keep on it!!! :banana2:

bigcowl-imp