PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Mustang Specs Leaked, 2.3-liter Turbo Confirmed

ctrlraven
10-28-2013, 09:16 AM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/10/2015-mustang-specs-leaked-2-3-liter-turbo-confirmed.html

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2013/10/2015-Mustang.jpg

As expected, information concerning the 2015 Ford Mustang has leaked, revealing engine specs along with styling information inside and out.

When the car launches, it will carry over both the 3.7-liter V6 and “Coyote” 5.0-liter V8 which offer 305 hp and 420 hp respectively, but just months after launch, that will all change according to Car and Driver.

By far the biggest addition coming to the ‘Stang’s powertrains is a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that is going to make 310 hp. This small turbo four will be sold as an up-market option compared to the naturally aspirated V6 which should be warranted thanks to a mileage gain along with a high, flat torque curve. Updates to the base 3.7-liter will be minimal, but the 5.0 is getting a tuning job, bumping up its horsepower ratings to 500. The brand’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 is also being considered for the car, but it won’t find its way under the hood until at least 2017.

A Shelby GT500 successor will be the first high-power version of the car to launch, and it will do so with the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 that the car currently runs with putting out 662 hp. Ford’s new engine plans won’t stop there though. A twin-turbo V8, code named “Voodoo,” will also find its way into the lineup, powering a Shelby GT350 model. This new EcoBoost V8 is expected to make between 550 and 600 hp, and will displace between 5.0 and 5.5 liters. Eventually, this motor is expected to also be offered in the GT500, and it may even find its way into a Boss 302 successor. That car may use a naturally aspirated version of the Voodoo, though it may stay traditional and use a tuned up version of the 5.0-liter V8.

All the engines will be hooked up to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic, but about two or three years after launch, a 10-speed automatic that is being developed with General Motors will replace the automatic.

Helping to handle all that power is a new chassis that will feature an independent rear suspension, a setup not seen on Mustangs since the SVT Cobra stopped production in 2004. This should help improve the car’s ride and handling, which will also be helped by a 200 pound reduction.

The new Mustang design won’t stray too far from the current car, though there are some clear differences as seen in the rendering from Car and Driver shown above. Overall, the entire car will shrink, and for the first time, the Mustang will borrow some design cues from the rest of the Ford lineup. Cues from the Fusion will be in place along the sides of the car, and the grille will exhibit some Aston Martin-esque features and yet the profile and stance of the car will still portray classic Mustang traits.

Inside, many retro Mustang design cues will carry over such at the twin-tubular gauges, but the car will gain some new technology as well. An updated version of Ford’s MyFord Touch infotainment system will debut on the 2015 Mustang with a new set of redundant controls and buttons to control it.

Raleigh Marauder
10-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Initially the new car was supposed to be a complete departure from the current one. This isn't anywhere near what I thought it was going to be. It still resembles the current Mustang. I am a bit surprised they went with the corporate grill though. I'm not hating it though.

whitey
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Now that looks sexy!

Jeffonebuck
10-28-2013, 10:34 AM
The younger generation will like it. I'm still a fan of round headlights in my choice for a classic muscle car. Looking a little Kia- Ish

ctrlraven
10-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Initially the new car was supposed to be a complete departure from the current one. This isn't anywhere near what I thought it was going to be. It still resembles the current Mustang. I am a bit surprised they went with the corporate grill though. I'm not hating it though.

It still is different from the last gen. It's slightly smaller, weighs 150-200 lbs less, and has an IRS instead of a live rear axle. If the engine specs are true it will put a real hurting on the Camaro.

fordmike65
10-28-2013, 11:07 AM
The turbo'd 4cyl looks interesting. Always liked those old SVO's. The twin-turbo V8 should be lots-o-fun.

Joe Walsh
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm loving the rims!

:hmmm: ......wonder how they'd look on my Marauder??

I'm most impressed that Ford will rate the N/A 5.0 Coyote at 500 HP!!
They pulled out all the stops on the BOSS 302 and got 444 HP....:dunno:

I love the old SVO Mustangs too, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a 2.3 Turbo if they offered a 500 HP N/A Coyote.

Raleigh Marauder
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
It still is different from the last gen. It's slightly smaller, weighs 150-200 lbs less, and has an IRS instead of a live rear axle. If the engine specs are true it will put a real hurting on the Camaro.

Yeah I understand that, but from all I had read for the last couple of years was, it was going to be completely different. It still looks very similar to the current car, and not at all what I expected.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Agreed. I thought It would be disappointing, but looks very promising. I wonder what the back will look like.

Good to finally hear about the GM-Ford collab on the 10 speed I knew about since I worked in the auto industry last year. I believe GM is providing most of the trans, and in turn ford is providing them with a small 4 cylinder motor design for global market use if I'm not mistaken.

fordmike65
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Agreed. I thought It would be disappointing, but looks very promising. I wonder what the back will look like.

Good to finally hear about the GM-Ford collab on the 10 speed I knew about since I worked in the auto industry last year. I believe GM is providing most of the trans, and in turn ford is providing them with a small 4 cylinder motor design for global market use if I'm not mistaken.

Never thought I'd see the day...

FORD:beer:CHEVY

Davesvt2000
10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Great, now I know where my savings for the past few years will be going :flamer:

Have to add to the stable :bows:

L.Mark
10-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Is it me or does it look Jaguarish in the front???

Still a sweeeeeet looking car!!!

guspech750
10-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks like a bag of limp diks.

Bring back the SVO you turd monger's.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

License2Bill
10-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Bring back the SVO you turd monger's.

The SVO was a turbo 2.3 so I'm confused...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Joe Walsh
10-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Bring back the Pinto you turd burglars.

There....fixed it for ya!

Joe Walsh
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I wasn't sure if I liked the 'Aston Martin' front end in the spy pix of the new 2015 Mustang....but it is growing on me!

Wonder what the rear looks like? (TWSS!)

The only problem is that FORD has the same front end on the Fusion.

breeze
10-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Guess I won't be beating up on those 5.0s.lol lighter and more power, should be fun.

Raleigh Marauder
10-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Here's your 360 viewer. I hope - I'm on the IPad and it's not displaying it...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-ford-mustang-leaked-360-view-and-full-details-news?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1458_28229451

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
The similar fusion front is a marketing design strategy for brand image. Look at GM with the camaro-esque style tail lights not only on the malibu but the traverse, the corvette etc... Brand recognition. Similar to how all BMWs look very similar just different sizes.

Makes sense if they are going to go global.

SpartaPerformance
10-28-2013, 05:08 PM
300+ HP 2.3L Ecoboost was confirmed a loooooong time ago. That IS NOT the new Mustang. That is a photoshopped Fusion nose on an S-197. The S-550 Mustang has been confirmed to be physically smaller for the world market and 400lbs lighter. Car & Driver is looking to sell magz.

guspech750
10-28-2013, 05:15 PM
The SVO was a turbo 2.3 so I'm confused...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Yes. Thats my point Exactly. Being back the SVO and Turbo Coupe T-Bird.

The Shelby has been too played out many years ago. They are every where. A dime a dozen here.

Time for some fresh SVO's and Turbo Coupe T-Birds.

secretservice
10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
The younger generation will like it. I'm still a fan of round headlights in my choice for a classic muscle car. Looking a little Kia- Ish

I'm a Kia tech. I can vouch that... headlights look like an Optima...

Joe Walsh
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Awwww.....GEEZ!

"Joint development of a 10 speed transmission with Government Motors".....!!!.....:shake:
When that transmission pukes 5 gears....you still have a 5 speed in your Crapmaro!

TAKEDOWN
10-30-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm with guspech750, SVO needs a comeback!