PDA

View Full Version : Today I meet Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck!

Motorhead350
10-29-2013, 01:40 AM
This is not a "look at me" thread. I wanted to inform everyone if you push for your desire you can get it. Forget about money, material possessions, decent sleep, loyalty, a social life, fair treatment and most friendship for that matter. Forget about all for that for a little while, keep pushing and you will get there. I cannot wait to work with Brian and Jeff, discuss cars, music and simpler times.

In case you younger people do not know who Brian Wilson is, he is one of the founders of the band The Beach Boys. You have probably heard the song I Get Around in your dads car before. Jeff Beck has been a solo guitar player for a while, but was in The Yardbirds for a little while. The Yardbirds you could say was what got Led Zeppelin started. You can look up that story if you wish. Jeff Beck was also asked to be in The Rolling Stones, but rejected the offer.

I worked with Brian's other guitar player a few times. He has been in The Beach Boys since the 1970s. So, I might be able to grease the wheels and be invited on stage to play. You never know. It's happened before with a few other acts. It's an awesome feeling when the performers say "Give Dom a guitar and get up here!" He was also the guy I met in NYC who was halfway livid at me for knowing the song Barbie, I guess he felt like it was a "secret" Beach Boys song and not for my generation. When I asked if they every play that song his answer was

"How the FU** do you know that song??? And no we don't play it live"

"I have it on vinyl. Rarities from 1961-1963. I'm in the wrong time."

"Yea, the FU** you are!"

He was very calm until that point. I don't know, it seemed like I understood his frustrations or something and he could be "real" with me and not have to put on this showmen attitude anymore. It was an experience I'll never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dRn3DYydAQ

We will see how it goes. Brian seems like the drugs have really taken a toll on him, but still, it's nice to meet someone who wrote the best car songs of all time to me. Yes better than Chuck Berry... who is also barely with us.

I hope Jeff Beck does this number...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpuaZYs3K8

Have a great day. I know I will! :D

fastblackmerc
10-29-2013, 01:52 AM
How about getting his autograph?

Have fun fun fun.....

Haggis
10-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen. :eek:

License2Bill
10-29-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm pretty sure they played Barbie last time I saw them live. It was for their 50th anniversary tour so they wanted to do some special pieces.

MERCMAN
10-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Jeff Beck had a female bass player, Tal Wilkenfeld
who is as talented as she is beautiful. Wonder if she is still playing bass with him?

Motorhead350
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen. :eek:

Here is a start.....

Motorhead350
10-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Wow guys, wow. One of the best nights of my life. Brian's guitar player remembered me from a few years ago. Last time we bet he was in the back of my Marauder, Phil Ramone (RIP) was in my passenger seat, I was promoting my band and we were in NYC. I said hello to Jeff and he was happy to see me. We had a little chat and the show was starting.

Brian Wilson walked very slowly and it seemed like he needed attention all of the time. At one point he had to be taken to the bathroom by hand. His skin was totally white, like a person who died five days ago, but he was still together. Most of the group was the ORIGINAL BEACH BOYS. Al was in the group too. They played a ton of Beach Boys songs and I grabbed a few set lists and was given three guitar picks.

They opened with A Young Man Is Gone. I nearly forgot about that song. The could all still sing great. The sound people are never happy, but tonight they actually said tonights sound was perfect. I do not think they realized The Beach Boys were from a time when you actually played music!!! Not all this Dub Step electronic, DJ press play BS useless without a macbook pro crap. I did not realize how many songs were about street racing, nearly all of the car songs are about street racing or wreckless driving... Fun, Fun, Fun, 409, Shut Down... it never occurred to me. No wonder I always liked them.

After the show I ran into Al. I went right up to him and said with a smile: "Thank you. It was great, it means a lot."
"Well thank you very much."
Al actually, looked me in the eye and smiled back. Sorry, but politeness seems so rare, especially in my world. Al looks pretty similar to the way he did in 1963 if you ask me.

Meeting Brian Wilson was something I will never forget. He had his own lazy boy chair for after the show. After the show during Jeff Becks set he sat in his chair and did nothing. He sat perfectly still. He did not move an inch for over an hour. Right leg over the left, left hand on the arm rest. No one was talking to him, but I wasn't told to leave him alone. I found a reason to approach him. He looked like he was in his own zone, just staring at nothing. I looked at him right in the eye and said

"Thank you for all of your music and I really enjoyed the performance."

He looked at me like suddenly he had life, he raised his head, looked at me and said with a smile "Why thank you." It looked like he had not smiled in a long time, he had not been smiling all night. It was the most chilling moment of my life. Almost like a ghost had come to life. I do not know why people think he isn't together, I guess I was one of the few he could actually talk to. He didn't talk to any other staff at all. Maybe four people all night, me being one of the four. All you have to do is be polite. Maybe I was one of the few that appreciated him or perhaps we have both been though the same chaos with bandmates and people in general. Remember... In My Room was about Brian locking himself out from the world, something I feel like I do about once a month in the Marauder.

We didn't have time to talk about Hot Rods, Mono over Stereo or Two Lane Black Top... bonus points to you if you know the link. We did have time to have a respectful acknowledgement of the music he created. I told my wife Brian sat perfectly still during Jeff Becks performance and I did not know why. Turns out I do the same thing when listening to music as she told me. I have never met ANYONE else that did COMPLETELY NOTHING when listening to music. I guess Brian is the only guy I have ever met that will put 100% of his attention to the music for hours on end. I don't know if it's good or bad thing to have a connection to a man who has been in and out of mental health, but at complete peace with music... it's scary.

Well it's been great. Sorry no photo with any of them, but I have another one later. You can believe me or not, but it's all truth. Meeting Brian Wilson was truly a dream come true.

2012.... they still have it, same key too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-bXvuPm7c

Haggis
10-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Cool story Dom, glad you had a blast.

Mebot
10-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Awesome story Dom! For some reason the Beach boys' music always appealed to me more than say The Beatles or Rolling Stones. IMO Beach Boys are more influential to rock n roll then The Beatles. I think Paul McCartney was quoted as saying God Only Knows is his favorite song of all time.

guspech750
10-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Cool stuff Dom!

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

1 Bad Merc
10-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Wow Dom that is really cool! Love the Beach Boys and most of their songs. :)

lji372
10-31-2013, 01:06 AM
Wow Dom that is really cool! Love the Beach Boys and most of their songs. :)

^^^^^^^^ agreed

Motorhead350
11-01-2013, 04:46 PM
A road case and set list.

What a night.

a_d_a_m
11-02-2013, 07:55 AM
If I met Jeff Beck, I'd ask him why he ever stopped working with Bobby Tench, his vocalist ca. 1972. That era of the Jeff Beck Group (and Jeff's solo career in general) is some of my favorite JB stuff. And that includes the Yardbirds.

Jeffonebuck
11-02-2013, 12:04 PM
“He takes the roots of the blues & is able to make it go way out there. And I’m not a parrot talking ****. It’s the real deal.”
Stevie Ray Vaughan discussing being on tour with Jeff Beck:bows:http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/bows.gif