PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Least Reliable Cars and Trucks

ctrlraven
10-30-2013, 07:20 AM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/05/top-10-least-reliable-cars-and-trucks.html

myrodr
10-30-2013, 07:35 AM
wow fomoco is hands down the big dog here. hope they can get things better

jaywish
10-30-2013, 07:36 AM
It is a good thing they got rid of the Panther platform for a much better modern lineup.

Though the Taurus, Fusion, and F series did not make the hangdog list. Neither did the Escape and Fiesta but those are foreign cars anyway. Not sure about the Fusion.

jflave
10-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Ford has come a long way, what a shame. :(

tbone
10-30-2013, 07:49 AM
I don't believe any of these articles.

Ms. Denmark
10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Reminds me of Consumers Reports....mostly BS in my experience. ;)

sflrainmaker01
10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Reminds me of Consumers Reports....mostly BS in my experience. ;)

^^^ :concur: ^^^

tbone
10-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Consumer Reports is a joke.

Krytin
10-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Consumer Reports is THE most biased, un-informed & un-reliable source in the market.
Anyone who takes them seriously has probably got a severe case of cranial/rectal inversion!

jaywish
10-30-2013, 02:52 PM
I may have a bad case of CRI but. this much i know.

Consumers uses a large survey for its reliability results. It is just tabulated. Lower % of problems the higher the repair rating. It is weighted by major problem vs minor problem as they define it but the definitions apply to all vehicles. I have a friend who used to work there. She does not like the place but even she never said anything bad about fudging with the numbers.

The subjective review stuff can be taken with a grain of salt after all it is subjective.

We all know that usa made crap cars for quite some time and Japan beat the heck out of our stuff in reliability for a good long time. Consumers scores reflected this. But my personal experience generally agrees with this, for instance, The Grand Marquis/CV ratings were good. It was a recommended vehicle based on reliability. Not the top of the heap but good. Personally I think that is fair. They did have some quality issues, e.g. LCM's LEDS, axles, still overall they are good solid cars, which is what was reported in the reliability scores.

jimlam56
10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Most of the complaints in this article have nothing to do with reliability.
CR is not on my reading list anyway...

Bigdogjim
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
That was a "we hate Ford list" ...........What do they know about "real" cars & trucks!

Baaad GN
10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Sorry guy's but more than one reporting service is putting ford products at the bottom of the heap right next to cadillac. It all stems to there electronic's MY FORD
or what ever they call it is BAD. I got sick of ford and especially Lincoln when they killed off so many models. What? Old people buy Lincolns? YEP and 3 New Town cars but not any more. I did buy a 2012 MKZ for my wife, but I just picked up a "used" Cadillac and love it. No more Town Cars so after the MKZ no more Lincoln's.

secretservice
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately silly things such as Bluetooth connectivity go into building these reports, whether the customer is inept with their new vehicle's features or not. Nearly ALL problems associated with Bluetooth, media players, or electronics of any sort at the dealer are human error and the salesmen not doing their job teaching proud new owners how to use their car properly. That nice little book with a picture of your car on it that's still in the shrinkwrap? Read that and save a trip to the dealer. My .02, not trying to sound bitter but these reports are WAY out of proportion in determining the ACTUAL reliability of a car line. Engine noises, drivability, transmission shifting concerns and NVH are examples of things that should be considered in the ratings. Not the consumer's inability to play Taylor Swift from their phone.

Black Dynamite
10-30-2013, 04:54 PM
CR is owned by (or at least used to be) a Japanese firm, hence Japanese products always getting good ratings. I had always heard their reviews were 'for sale.' Maybe Ford didn't pay the bill this year?

BAD MERC
10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I beg to differ from YEARS of experience. As a wrecker driver I will tell you exactly what cars are a POS and which ones you can weld the hood shut. If you own any Chrysler FWD be ready for a transmission anytime. If you own a GM vehicle with a floor shifter expect it to eventually leave you stranded in park when the brittle plastic end breaks off. If you own a Powerstroke Ford diesel, the head gaskets are made of butter. Volkswagen makes the biggest turds in the galaxy but only the Jetta, Passat and Beetle. If you want something unbreakable, get a Subaru - I have never seen one broken down.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
What a dumbass article. All complaints about ride quality and ease of use of the radio. Where are the recalls on all the toyotas? Or the electrical gremlins that plague german cars??

Joe Walsh
10-30-2013, 06:21 PM
As other posters have already said:

Consumer Reports knows NOTHING about rating cars.

Consumer Reports knows how to rate appliances.

That is why they have a HEAVY bias towards Honda & Toyota.

I have not paid ANY attention to ANY automotive review by Condemner....errr....Consumer Reports....EVER!

If you have read any of their reports from 20 - 30 years ago*, they would complain about ANY vehicle that had good acceleration....
as if that trait was something to be avoided and something that is dangerous in a car....WTF!?

Consumer Reports should stick to reviewing bland, ho-hum appliances....like Camrys and Accords!

If you buy a car based on what those idiots say......Good Luck!!! and enjoy your POS Honda/Camry.....:snore:

F' Consumer Reports!!!!........:mad2:

*My Mom used to get the CR magazine and my Dada and I would howl and laugh at their car reviews!

Dave2
10-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Consumer Reports is THE most biased, un-informed & un-reliable source in the market.
Anyone who takes them seriously has probably got a severe case of cranial/rectal inversion!

Well said.....^

L.Mark
10-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Haven't had a lot to do with newer vehicles. I know I see all these Fords everywhere...as for the Lincolns, not as big of fans of lately, but I did test drive a 2006-7 MKS, low, low miles. Rode like crap. Sooo harsh We couldn't wait to get it back to the lot. Sad cause I really like those Lincolns...sounds like this was a little biased on the reporting...

Marauderjack
10-31-2013, 02:43 AM
How do you rate "Reliability" in a year or less and what does it have to do with ride quality and radio usage......GIVE ME A BREAK!!:argue: :shake: :rolleyes:

Mebot
10-31-2013, 03:16 AM
Unfortunately silly things such as Bluetooth connectivity go into building these reports, whether the customer is inept with their new vehicle's features or not. Nearly ALL problems associated with Bluetooth, media players, or electronics of any sort at the dealer are human error and the salesmen not doing their job teaching proud new owners how to use their car properly. That nice little book with a picture of your car on it that's still in the shrinkwrap? Read that and save a trip to the dealer. My .02, not trying to sound bitter but these reports are WAY out of proportion in determining the ACTUAL reliability of a car line. Engine noises, drivability, transmission shifting concerns and NVH are examples of things that should be considered in the ratings. Not the consumer's inability to play Taylor Swift from their phone.

Spot on

sent from Seattle

jaywish
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Just got to reiterate. The subjective things need to be considered as that, the reliability on the other hand is based on consumer reported problems. The least reliable list has nothing to do with computer interface, ride, performance etc. That is all subjective. The reliability ratings being in the tank is what got them on the list.

After a year or two they may settle into being good cars but what it means is they had more darn problems in their first year than other cars. Consumers also reports annually on reliability of used cars for IIRC up to six or seven years.

RF Overlord
10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Right or wrong, accurate or BS, ordinary people DO trust CR for info and DO make buying decisions at least in part on info such as this article. Bad press can drive a manufacturer's sales down even if it's misguided or blown out of proportion. I hope Ford can get its **** together and lower its score soon.

Having said that, Ford and especially Lincoln, offer nothing that I would consider buying today. Ford products are all wrong-wheel drive now and Lincoln's stuff looks like it was designed for a bad science-fiction movie. The MKX just displaced the Nissan Murano as the World's Ugliest Car.

secretservice
10-31-2013, 03:15 PM
On a related sidebar:

Several reasons for me waving a BS flag on their list. I have a large number of friends and acquaintances in the service industry, techs, service advisors, and parts guys, in multiple lines. My dealer group, Ray Skillman Auto Group, sells a large number of car lines. It's a joke among us that if you drive a Kia (I am a Kia tech, as I mentioned) you WILL have an oil leak repaired under warranty, you WILL have at least 5 recalls/campaigns before your term or lease is up, and your sunroof WILL stick open at some point. This thread is also on the heels of a Facebook argument I just had with a service advisor friend of mine who works for Hyundai. He was bashing "American" cars in general and singing praises for Hyundai being so reliable. Kia is owned by, and are supplied their platforms and running gear by Hyundai. In the past two months I have personally seen 4 Optimas, a Rondo and a Soul come in with low mileage and a rod knocking. I put shortblocks in a couple of them, including the 1,500 mile 2013 Soul. A tech right next to me is putting new tappets in an Optima due to engine noise, and I am finishing a shortblock job right now, also in an Optima. I cannot BEGIN to count how many oil leaks I fix. Fact is that ALL Kia's leak oil at some point in their life, it's just luck of the draw when it happens. Timing covers, oil pans, valve covers. They keep me very busy with heavy line work and don't even get me started on the recalls and service action campaigns. Sometimes a Sorento will come in for an oil change and "oh by the way Mr. customer, you have 3 open recalls and two service actions to perform on your vehicle if you would like to wait, we can have it all done in about an hour". An hour. Sure.

My point is, that with everything I see, all the engines blown up, rattling, leaking, etc, how he (my friend) is such a fanboy for the Korean persuasion of automobiles is beyond my comprehension. Furthermore, why the heck there isn't a Hyundai or Kia on the list is baffling. Sure there are lots of cars out there, and Mini deserves their place on the list. Just worked on one, and they are raging piles of fecal matter. Ford has less engine problems, less recalls, and less oil leaks, plain and simple. Under warranty or otherwise. I will leave you with this to ponder.... Some of the best cars in the world have the worst warranty. :confused:

SpartaPerformance
10-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Did I miss something? The article was titled "reliable" I didn't read anything about vehicle breaking down, it just had there dislike for seat position, 3rd row room, a bit of engine noise, and SYNC concerns and I bet most of the testers had non-compatible phones. This is not a reliability test, its an opinion on how they liked the cars. If they wanna do a reliability test the worst vehicle would be NISSANS, every week we'll do 2-3 low mileage transmissions, 10-12 catalytic converters, 5-6 low mileage timing chains, 1-2 low mileage engines.... way more crap then when I was at Ford.

secretservice
10-31-2013, 06:34 PM
5-6 low mileage timing chains

Funny. I know a person who asked me if she should buy a Juke. Asked if she already bought it or if she was thinking about it. Of course, she already bought it. Told her it was a horrible decision. Two weeks later guess what.... Timing chain noise. Weird.

MOTOWN
10-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Total B.S.

MyBlackBeasts
10-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Written by a Govt Motors employee!!!

The bias is blatant and disgusting... :shake: