PDA

View Full Version : Cannonball record broken

Embassy
11-01-2013, 09:24 AM
28 hrs, 50 mins

Insane:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/index.html

SC Cheesehead
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
That right there is trucking!

2,4shofast
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
That is awesome!

slickster
11-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Average 98mph fot 2800 miles and never got lit Thats a art

Guittard22
11-01-2013, 10:19 AM
^^^
I think this is cool in a way ...but America is saying it's okay to break the law to brake a record :/ what if the guy was doing 98 in a 55 and hit a mini van with kids ??!? Idk how to feel about this record

Just my 2 cents

Ms. Denmark
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Big deal, SR71 crossed the USA in less than an hour, that's truckin'

Jeffonebuck
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
^^^
I think this is cool in a way ...but America is saying it's okay to break the law to brake a record :/ what if the guy was doing 98 in a 55 and hit a mini van with kids ??!? Idk how to feel about this record

Just my 2 cents

^^^ Ditto: my two cents, it's cool in Movies

N40GL
11-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Dan Gurney and Brock Yates must be planning an attempt to retake the record.

RacerX
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
How fast does your broom go and what do you use to keep the bugs out of your teeth?

:lol: Sent with love of course! ;)

Blackmobile
11-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I couldn't stand driving that long wondering when and where I was going to jail!

Motorhead350
11-01-2013, 02:32 PM
^^^

Just my 2 cents

Nothing happened, you can relax. Speed limits are for idiots. If you know your car, you can handle the power and react properly. As this man did.

SR-71 was in open air. Not really a big deal in my book. On public roads you have to watch out for police, drunks, potholes... and anything else unpredictable. In the air you go straight and watch the radar for dots. Not really a challenge in that.

Cheers to the outlaws. If I had the time and a lawyer for crime, I would try this myself.

whitey
11-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Nothing happened, you can relax. Speed limits are for idiots. If you know your car, you can handle the power and react properly. As this man did.

SR-71 was in open air. Not really a big deal in my book. On public roads you have to watch out for police, drunks, potholes... and anything else unpredictable. In the air you go straight and watch the radar for dots. Not really a challenge in that.

Cheers to the outlaws. If I had the time and a lawyer for crime, I would try this myself.

You just said it, idiots.....you might be able to handle the power but you cant tell when an idiot will cut you off. On the other hand, hot damned, tell that man congrats!

gdsqdcr
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM

:mad2:
Seriously? Of course, I would expect this crap from you!

If you knew your car you could fix it!

Speed limits are there cause some people THINK they know there car and then go and pull stupid stunts. Then these stunts result in the death of an innocent bystander who was abiding by the rules. But by YOUR rules, they knew their car, so it is okay.

I know a lot of folks who race. Everyone one of them that has track time is a decent driver on the highway .. Why? Cause they know not everyone has the training to make a lane change at 90 mph or more. They know that a pothole at 95mph has a good possibility of resulting in an accident. They know how to They know that they do not want to be the cause of a kids' or a family's life.

Not everyone has the skill to drive like this. Those that follow the laws are there protecting themselves and the innocents.

Do I speed? YEP! I cruise at 70-72 in a 65 all day long. I am usually in the #2 lane. I move out the way when someone wants to pass by. Have I ever gone above 70, yep! On the track and on the street.

I am curious, you ever spent time on a track? Not 1/4 miles, but on a track. Doing laps, learning the car, learning how to break, learning how to drive the line ... just curious ... cause the way you talk, makes me believe that you have not.

Now rant off

Shaijack
11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
This makes me think that MM.net is ok with this street racing. Street racing is against the law. I don't care who does it. MM.net should be a shame for reinforcing this type of action.

Motorhead350
11-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Speed limits are there cause some people THINK they know there car and then go and pull stupid stunts. Then these stunts result in the death of an innocent bystander who was abiding by the rules. But by YOUR rules, they knew their car, so it is okay.

I know a lot of folks who race. Everyone one of them that has track time is a decent driver on the highway .. Why? Cause they know not everyone has the training to make a lane change at 90 mph or more. They know that a pothole at 95mph has a good possibility of resulting in an accident. They know how to They know that they do not want to be the cause of a kids' or a family's life.

Not everyone has the skill to drive like this. Those that follow the laws are there protecting themselves and the innocents.

Do I speed? YEP! I cruise at 70-72 in a 65 all day long. I am usually in the #2 lane. I move out the way when someone wants to pass by. Have I ever gone above 70, yep! On the track and on the street.

I am curious, you ever spent time on a track? Not 1/4 miles, but on a track. Doing laps, learning the car, learning how to break, learning how to drive the line ... just curious ... cause the way you talk, makes me believe that you have not.

Now rant off

Two questions for you.

1. What tragedy happened in your life?

2. What do you do for work?

BTW the car is fixed, but with assistance. I never said I was a machanic.

Yes, I was on the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

gpfarrell
11-01-2013, 07:46 PM
There are stretches where 120+ is safe in the right car with the right driver and other stretches where 35 is dangerous.

These guys rocked 2800 miles... you can't be reckless and make it 2800 miles.

Oh, and they picked a very capable car.

My hat is off to them.

Joe Walsh
11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I just read about this on Jalopinik:

http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837/@barrett?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2 Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

Problem is that the guy(s) admitted to doing this well within the 1 year statute of limitations on all the speeding/wreckless driving charges.

They could be in for some eye opening traffic fines!

BTW: Averaging 98 MPH across the entire US is F-in ridiculous!!!.....:eek:

gdsqdcr
11-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Two questions for you.

1. What tragedy happened in your life?

2. What do you do for work?

BTW the car is fixed, but with assistance. I never said I was a machanic.

Yes, I was on the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

1. No major tragedies in my life. I have had a friend killed in a drunk driving incident .. she was the passenger.

2. I do a couple of things. I am a system administrator for a couple of programs that are used on the global scale. Also very involved in the First Responder role. I am not a public employee with law enforcement or fire response. I do work for a private company and FEMA when it comes to chemical and WMD incidents. I respond and teach others how to respond.

jwibbity
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
http://deadwildroses.files.wordpress. com/2012/07/good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-11.jpeg

jwibbity
11-01-2013, 09:38 PM
i say hats off to the guys, when im driving on the roads the slower people are more dangerous than the "faster" ones, but still 98 mph for 2800 miles is pushing it...

Motorhead350
11-01-2013, 09:43 PM
1. No major tragedies in my life. I have had a friend killed in a drunk driving incident .. she was the passenger.

2. I do a couple of things. I am a system administrator for a couple of programs that are used on the global scale. Also very involved in the First Responder role. I am not a public employee with law enforcement or fire response. I do work for a private company and FEMA when it comes to chemical and WMD incidents. I respond and teach others how to respond.

Exactly.

You have seen results of people not taking proper procaution. These guys did, but by the law and most of society, there is no "acceptable" way to set this record.

Its a bright day for The United States of America.

As I keep saying, there is always a way around everything.

Jeffonebuck
11-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Kick it on the Autobahn,,,,,,,,if you want to set a record,,,if you want to test your skills,,,if you got large kahoonas,,,try Daytona at 200 mph,,a couple guys driving through my small town at 90mph gets my Bird !

FastMerc
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Looks like Richard from Gas Monkey might want the record back! He will have to try and get it back lol...

PonyUP
11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
How stick up are we? Cursing the guy that spent years of research to break the record of an event that's gone on for decades. If you just want to run your car 0-60, have at it. What this guy did was impressive by any standard.
Was he speeding? Yes, you travel through parts of the pan handle with an empty road for hours and not do it.
I take my hat off to someone dedicated to break a record and it sounds like he took a number of precautions.
Is it something I would do? No, but I certainly won't demean him for his accomplishment.
You can brag about an NA car doing the 1/4 in 16 plus seconds,
I'd rather be boosted and get ****

Boost gets you
Love Admiration Idolization & Distinction

Motorhead350
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2480654/Coast-Coast-29-hours-Mercedes-CL-driver-sets-new-record-averaging-98mph-car-spent-months-fitting-gadgets-eye-police.html

I found a little video on this.

They need to make a movie. There are plenty on the past runs, but never one on 1 car going at it.

Motorhead350
11-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Now rant off

I just read this onto a recording for my band. We needed a back round conversation.

Thank you.