PDA

View Full Version : I Hate That Damn EZ-PASS!

NavySeabee
11-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Do you guys keep your EZ-Pass or equivalent on your windshield 24/7? I pull mine out of the center storage when I need it. I think I'll be keeping it on the windshield from now on. I sometimes forget to pull it out in the hi speed EZ-Pass lanes.

Checked the mail box today and got THREE of these!!

Gotta love those SS inserts though :)

Ken
11-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I have mine mounted behind the mirror on the right side, I don't even see it. I'm just afraid of using it in one of my other vehicles and forgetting to put it back in the original vehicle. Ohio sells a suction cup mount for an additional $5. Ohio EZ PASS is also slow speed, with an arm that comes down between cars if there is enough space between them. Would prefer the faster speed pass with the green light to let you know that your pass was read.

jerrym3
11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
I have one on my wife's Lincoln LS windshield, and a second one that I use when needed for my other three cars.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that when my EZ pass didn't register once, they matched my plate with my account and just billed my credit card, as they would normally do.

NavySeabee
11-01-2013, 07:36 PM
I have one on my wife's Lincoln LS windshield, and a second one that I use when needed for my other three cars.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that when my EZ pass didn't register once, they matched my plate with my account and just billed my credit card, as they would normally do.

Yeah, hoping to save 30 bucks here too, considering I'm a resident and my toll is 86 cents a pass. Their office is about a mile from me.

NavySeabee
11-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Ohio EZ PASS is also slow speed, with an arm that comes down between cars if there is enough space between them. Would prefer the faster speed pass with the green light to let you know that your pass was read.

No green light here and the speed limit is 40 going through. You "hope" your pass was read.

gpfarrell
11-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Velcro.

Oh, painted flat black too, and tucked behind the mirror as mentioned above.

Love EZ pass!

gnxtc2
11-01-2013, 07:45 PM
When my battery died in my EZ Pass tag, I called in. The person on the phone told me as long as the vehicle's plates are listed on the account, you don't need to have the EZ Pass tag with you.

The above doesn't apply for toll booths that have arms, like the at the NYC MTA Bridges & Tunnels.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

gnxtc2
11-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Velcro.

Oh, painted flat black too, and tucked behind the mirror as mentioned above.

Love EZ pass!

I too painted mine black but was charged $32 for "defacing" two tags that I sent in because they needed to be updated.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

NavySeabee
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I too painted mine black but was charged $32 for "defacing" two tags that I sent in because they needed to be updated.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I'm thinking Plastidip :)

guspech750
11-01-2013, 08:21 PM
That sucks. Our Illinois iPass works pretty well. If you forget to pullout the transponder or if its not working correctly, you don't get a ticket as long as the license plate of said vehicle is on file.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Bigdogjim
11-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I have one from the PA turnpike and all 3 vehicles are listed with plate numbers. When I went to NH for the meet I forgot the E-Z Pass was in the pick up and drove through toll booths in NJ & NY State with no issues, around home I cross the Route 1 toll bridge every time I go to Philadelphia and just drive through with the E-Z pass and no letters in the mail. Works like a charm!

jerrym3
11-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Jersey's pretty much done away with arms at the toll booths.

The Parkway has a combo of high speed overhead sensors (60 mph) and drive through booths (much slower speeds) while the Turnpike registers you when you get on and bills you based upon which exit you get off. (Pretty easy way to tell if you've been speeding.)

Have to admit that compared to the old days of waiting in long lines and hunting for the correct change, or paying a oll taker and waiting for change, the system really works nice.

Guittard22
11-02-2013, 06:37 AM
My mom Uses the Heavy duty Velcro tape and puts it's right under the rearview mirror after she passes it she takes it down . And I got 2 notes like that from the car show that way a few mo back :/

justbob
11-02-2013, 06:43 AM
I first got mine for my GSXR750 about 12 years ago! It has made life so much easier. In fact, I have one mounted in all four of our vehicles now.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Krytin
11-02-2013, 07:13 AM

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This is the second set I've painted black - they never said a word about the two black ones I returned to them!

NavySeabee
11-02-2013, 07:18 AM
My Bad! After a visit to the Toll office, I found out I have 7 more violation letters coming my way! Turns out when my credit card expired and was renewed, I didn't change it on my EZ Pass account and my automatic replenishment ran out. Since the high speed toll near me doesn't have a green light, I had no clue. Thanks to the nice lady at the office, they're all getting dismised and I'll get charged the regular toll charge of .83 cents :)

Live & learn.

guspech750
11-02-2013, 07:33 AM
My Bad! After a visit to the Toll office, I found out I have 7 more violation letters coming my way! Turns out when my credit card expired and was renewed, I didn't change it on my EZ Pass account and my automatic replenishment ran out. Since the high speed toll near me doesn't have a green light, I had no clue. Thanks to the nice lady at the office, they're all getting dismised and I'll get charged the regular toll charge of .83 cents :)

Live & learn.

That's good to hear.

But did they not send you any emails or notices about your credit card expiring?

When my card was about within 6 months, I was receiving letters and emails letting me know.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

NavySeabee
11-02-2013, 07:38 AM
That's good to hear.

But did they not send you any emails or notices about your credit card expiring?

When my card was about within 6 months, I was receiving letters and emails letting me know.

Ummm, well, my emai address wasn't updated either, I found out. Like I said, my bad! lol

Mr. Man
11-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Now that you guys all use EZ Pass the line, if there is one, at the toll is short. I don't travel out of State enough to justify the goverment tracking intrusion.

jerrym3
11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway don't have toll booth "arms".

You can go through the booths at a slow speed, or drive through at 60 mph on the straightaways that have overhead sensors.

It's fantastic compared to the old days: stop, grope for change, wait for slowpokes, get change from the tolltaker, etc.

But, the downside, when you get on to the NJ Turnpike, you get registered. When you get off, you get registered.

So, if you've been speeding, they know.

Bigdogjim
11-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Now that you guys all use EZ Pass the line, if there is one, at the toll is short. I don't travel out of State enough to justify the goverment tracking intrusion.

E-Z Pass is a private company no is watching:P

marauderthis
11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Its amazing how our pos government is so diligent and effective on toll collections but some how cant seem to utilize the same methods to pursue thieving bank criminals and criminal illegal aliens.

(http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=12559)

NavySeabee
11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Its amazing how our pos government is so diligent and effective on toll collections but some how cant seem to utilize the same methods to pursue thieving bank criminals and criminal illegal aliens.

No criminal born & raised? :confused:

Mr. Man
11-03-2013, 02:00 PM
E-Z Pass is a private company no is watching:P
Might be a private company but apparently you don't watch "Law and Order" You can be tracked if so needed.

jsignorelli
11-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I had a Crown Vic that had the Insta-Clear windshield. The E-Z Pass would not work on that car. I got an E-Z Pass license plate frame mounted unit which works easily and does not come off. Only problems.. if you rear end someone, the unit is shot. If a felon has a crow bar, the unit is gone!

Bigdogjim
11-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Might be a private company but apparently you don't watch "Law and Order" You can be tracked if so needed.

Yes in real life it can (not allowed for speeding, by it's own charter) I used when the delivery driver's had issues when I was at the tropical fish place I always gave the driver a chance to come clean before going the boss.

And for the record I agree 100% in using it against criminals:P

Bigdogjim
11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
So, if you've been speeding, they know.

Yes they know if you were speeding however E-Z Pass by it's own charter
can not issue speeding tickets based on the E-Z Pass tag. Urban myth.

Years ago truckers started talking in truck stops about that same issue, now they all pretty much have it.

jerrym3
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Yes they know if you were speeding however E-Z Pass by it's own charter
can not issue speeding tickets based on the E-Z Pass tag. Urban myth.

Years ago truckers started talking in truck stops about that same issue, now they all pretty much have it.

When I said "they", I didn't mean EZ Pass.

How hard would it be for law enforcement to gain access to EZ Pass records and do a simple calculation "time in/time out/miles travelled".

I'm not saying they would, but the digital info is there.

Think about it. Everywhere you go, at least in major cities, you are being photographed.

Stores, streets, toll booths, etc.

They know more about me than I do, but since I'm basically an honest law abiding person, I'm really not that worried.

If they are watching me, they'd be bored to death.

gnxtc2
11-03-2013, 06:52 PM
If you are so concerned about being photographed, then never leave the house. You are out in public and anyone can photograph you.

One time I went through a New York State Thruway toll booth too fast, I think it was 5 mph limit and I went through at 15 mph. I got a warning notice in the mail that my EZ Pass priviledges would be suspended for the month if I got caught again.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

jsignorelli
11-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Smile... you're on Candid camera! Lest we forget it was facial recognition software and street cameras that really caught the two Boston Marathon Bombers. Thank God for that technology or NYC was next on their list.
If I'm not breaking the law, I don't have a problem with technology that catches the bad guys.

License2Bill
11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Due to this thread, I was reminded to update my vehicle info on my EZ Pass profile. The only vehicle I have listed on their website is my 02 CVPI that I totalled back in March. I also requested a new set of adhesive strips to attach it to my window.

jerrym3
11-04-2013, 06:26 AM
If you are so concerned about being photographed, then never leave the house. You are out in public and anyone can photograph you.

One time I went through a New York State Thruway toll booth too fast, I think it was 5 mph limit and I went through at 15 mph. I got a warning notice in the mail that my EZ Pass priviledges would be suspended for the month if I got caught again.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

As I said, I'm not worried.

At carshows, anyone who wants to take a picture of me (or them) with my Galaxie, go for it. (Heck, I've told folks many times that they are more than welcome to have their pic taken while sitting in the car.)

There's a nice picture of my house on Google, so this is today's world and I don't have any issues.

And I agree. If pic technology can help catch the bad guys, that's a big plus.

Peteyg
11-08-2013, 12:58 PM
In Kalifornia, we have FasTrak, and if you don't have the transponder they just pay it off your plate, since they take a picture of every car that goes through. Your plate has to be registered, though, for it to work. No speed limit in the toll traps, though. I've been through the traps at 80+ without issue.

As for tracking your movements, the Gov doesn't need cameras or transponders. We all have cell phones, and they are all GPS enabled at this point (even if you think you have turned it off). They know everything we do, and hear everything we say. Also, CHP is now installing that license plate scanning software that looks at every single plate that comes into the field of view for the cop car and looks for whatever violations or warrants it can find. It is so pervasive that it just becomes part of the background noise. It falls into the "There's nothing I can do about it, so I don't waste time worrying about it" category.

If they REALLY wanted to keep people from speeding (at least out here), it would be easy enough to track people and send tickets in the mail. People would slow down soon enough. But that would be a BIG hit to the General Fund, so it would die a quick death. I call tickets Voluntary Road Tax. You don't want a ticket? Don't break the traffic laws.