PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Blues

Smokie
12-20-2002, 06:00 PM
I have taken the MM. to two different dealers to have the right wiper sticking up adjusted lower. Both insisted they are all like that, no adjustment possible. Some of our members have posted that they had the problem corrected to their satisfaction Please if you had yours adjusted can you post a clear picture of the results or a picture of the invoice that shows the complaint and repair description and job code. Thank you, I find that wiper distracting I keep looking at it and just get upset thinking about it. :mad:

MM03
12-21-2002, 09:47 AM
First I would like to say what a great site this is. This only my 2nd post but hope to have more.
I have had the same problem with the wiper arm. The dealer is right, there is no real adjustment to correct the problem. To change the wiper position on my car I took of the arm where it goes over the pivot. If you look at the pivot you should see a metal part that indexes the wiper arm to the pivot. This allows you to put the arm on in only one position.
If you remove the metal key you can position the arm so it can park lower than the factory setting. When you do this it may take a couple of trys to get it to park low enough and still reach far enough into the wiper path on the glass. The only draw back to removing the key the connection will not be as strong. If your car only sees rain than not a problem. Heavy snow would be my only concern. Hope this is some help.

RCSignals
12-21-2002, 04:43 PM
If you read the manual. the position can be changed by removing the key and changing it's position in the slotted driving dog. problem is this usually places the arm too low. supposedly the driving dog position can be changed but there is no instruction on how to.
Probably the best fix is to have them carefully bend the arm to a good position. I suspect that is all the other dealers have done

I wouldn't recommend replacing the arm without the key. Eventually the arm will looswn and slip on the drive

chapel1
12-21-2002, 06:41 PM
Took my car to my dealer on 7/15 one month after I got my car.They wrote it up as Right wiper doesnt park on stop.Right wiper misadjusted. Adjust right wiper arm.Since then it always returns to the same postion as the driver's side.The job was J# 1 17LIZ and the TECH(S):766..That's all I got.. execept that maybe your dealer could contact my dealer.TerrysL/M 9401 w.143ed St.Orland Park Il 708 349-3400.Hope this helps you Smokie.Good Luck Gary.

chapel1
12-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Smokie I also have a 93 C/V LX green with the alum lace wheels,looks pretty close to yours.I replaced the michlin MXV4 with Michlin Symettry blackwalls.I think I get better wet traction with them.

RCSignals
12-21-2002, 08:37 PM
yes, the '03 wiper motor doesn't "park" the same as previous wiper motors. the '03 motor returns to the right hand position and stops, but the older motors had an aditional, lower "park" position when off. This is why the only way to adjust the '03 os to either move or bend the arm.

Donald
12-21-2002, 09:56 PM
This is sort of related to the wipers. The screws holding down the black plastic cover around the wiper motor posts are rusting!!

Smokie
12-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Guys, thank you for all the responses, I don't feel comfortable with removing key, I went ahead and bent the arm just enough to drop wiper below the blackout edge on the windshield, it is still higher then the driver side but at least it is not as distracting as before and it still has plenty of overlap at the top of the arc. Thanks again. :)

Smokie
12-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Chapel1 I changed the original Michelins after 35k, my son got me Dunlops Sport 5000's 225/60ZR/16 -97W. He installed himself and I paid $62 per tire. He is a mechanic at a foreign car dealership, The Dunlops look good and grip the road wet or dry like if they had claws. :)