PDA

View Full Version : Aviator shudder?

Mr. Man
11-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Had Ms.D's DD Aviator in to have the transmission fluid flushed as the car developed a shudder. Reading here I learned the shudder maybe caused by wornout fluid so replacing it and the filter was the first step. Needed it as well. At 130k the mechanic said it may never have been changed. I thought it was changed when we bought the car at 90k perhaps it wasn't or if it was something maybe wearing it out quicker than one would think.

Ms.D drove it to work today and she thought it was better but the shudder was still evident. I have no idiot lights so as far as the car is concerned-good to go. Any ideas what I should look into next? Does it take a few drives for the shudder to disapate after changing the fluid? She drives about 50 miles round trip. When I drove it pre-fluid change it seemed worse at a constant throttle.

Thanks for any input. :)

RF Overlord
11-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Try this next time:

Keeping your foot steady on the gas, gently tap the brake pedal just enough to light the brake lights. If the shudder stops immediately, it's the infamous TC shudder.

If the fluid was not completely exchanged, i.e. they just did a pan-drop and filter, then yes it can take a few hundred miles for the problem to abate. You may even have to have a second drain & fill done (no filter needed this time), but a better solution is to have a complete fluid exchange performed.

If the problem continues after tapping the brakes, then you prolly have a mis-fire. Many times a bad COP will not throw a code.

Ms. Denmark
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Mr. Man
11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Try this next time:

Keeping your foot steady on the gas, gently tap the brake pedal just enough to light the brake lights. If the shudder stops immediately, it's the infamous TC shudder.

If the fluid was not completely exchanged, i.e. they just did a pan-drop and filter, then yes it can take a few hundred miles for the problem to abate. You may even have to have a second drain & fill done (no filter needed this time), but a better solution is to have a complete fluid exchange performed.

If the problem continues after tapping the brakes, then you prolly have a mis-fire. Many times a bad COP will not throw a code.Thanks Baub. They ran a very good full flush, 16 gals including the new synthetic fluid as well as filter and kit whatever that includes.

If it is a mis-fire can the mechanic figure out which one w/o the computer telling him?

fastblackmerc
11-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks Baub. They ran a very good full flush, 16 gals including the new synthetic fluid as well as filter and kit whatever that includes.

If it is a mis-fire can the mechanic figure out which one w/o the computer telling him?

By trial and error they can.

They can probably hook it up to the factory scan tool. It should tell them what's going on.

You can do it by trial and error also. Just buy one or two coils and start swapping them until the "shudder" stops. If they are are alot of miles on it it may be wise to buy all 8 coils and change them all.

Ms. Denmark
11-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Comin' in Hot
11-19-2013, 03:53 PM
when exactly does the shutter happen? low throttle? 2500 rpms?

Ms. Denmark
11-19-2013, 06:35 PM

whitey
11-19-2013, 08:15 PM
By trial and error they can.

They can probably hook it up to the factory scan tool. It should tell them what's going on.

You can do it by trial and error also. Just buy one or two coils and start swapping them until the "shudder" stops. If they are are alot of miles on it it may be wise to buy all 8 coils and change them all.

+1. I think when my mechanic did the scan, nothing came up. Thank god for Musclemerc hooking me up with 9 brand new FoMoCo cops for $115.

Mr. Man
02-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Well we think we ran the shudder down. 2 bad COP's (#4 & #7) but I changed all 8. The shudder was at its worst in rainy or very humid weather. Mechanic said they were probably arcing in the dampness. Never once got an idiot lite. Wonder why the computer thought everything was A-OK?

We are waiting for a real rainy day to see if we are 100%. Ms. D says at the very least the truck seems peppier.

71cyclone
02-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Had Ms.D's DD Aviator in to have the transmission fluid flushed as the car developed a shudder. Reading here I learned the shudder maybe caused by wornout fluid so replacing it and the filter was the first step. Needed it as well. At 130k the mechanic said it may never have been changed. I thought it was changed when we bought the car at 90k perhaps it wasn't or if it was something maybe wearing it out quicker than one would think.

Ms.D drove it to work today and she thought it was better but the shudder was still evident. I have no idiot lights so as far as the car is concerned-good to go. Any ideas what I should look into next? Does it take a few drives for the shudder to disapate after changing the fluid? She drives about 50 miles round trip. When I drove it pre-fluid change it seemed worse at a constant throttle.

Thanks for any input. :) I had a similar problem with my MM after purchase / system was flushed by ron Bortnick ford and the problem was slight /I called by Parts man at Sheehy Ford /Same district / and he gave me a tube of 'Shudder Stop" in a Red tube ,about 5 dollars /i added the product and the problem went away. I think your tranny has to be force fed from the bottom check plug [ i think yours has no dipstick ] same as my mountaineer :beer:

Mr. Man
02-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the input on our problem. Ms. D. says the shudder is 100% gone and the truck is running great in all conditions, and we've had some really tough weather the last couple weeks. Aviator seems good to go.

Joe Walsh
02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
When my Ranger's head gasket started leaking last summer I had a misfire on the #6 cylinder.....it took days and many miles before it threw a misfire code and the CEL came on.

My stepson's 2000 CV had a light shudder and, just like my Ranger, it took days and many miles before it threw a misfire code. Turned out to be #5 cylinder's COP.

Bigdogjim
02-09-2014, 11:06 AM
8 new plugs with coil packs will perk any Ford engine up:)

Glad Ms.D is back to driving a well oiled machine:up:

sflrainmaker01
02-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I had a similar problem with my MM after purchase / system was flushed by ron Bortnick ford and the problem was slight /I called by Parts man at Sheehy Ford /Same district / and he gave me a tube of 'Shudder Stop" in a Red tube ,about 5 dollars /i added the product and the problem went away. I think your tranny has to be force fed from the bottom check plug [ i think yours has no dipstick ] same as my mountaineer :beer:
I heard that stuff is kinda like a friction modifier. Glad it's all fixed!!

Ms. Denmark
03-07-2014, 06:47 AM

whitey
03-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Well the Aviator decided to throw a code earlier this week so Mr. Man finally had a chance to investigate what it was all about. Two bad coil packs, #1 and 6 decided to go South for the Winter. I guess what you get what you pay for. I think the ones in it now are Denso's and they hopefully will warranty them as they were in for 3 weeks before they died.

So lesson learned and when the Marauders need them, Motorcraft COP's will be what replaces them. :)

Tell us something we didn't know...:P. Good to see real world results/failures with aftermarket parts, however its unfortunate it happened.

Bigdogjim
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
NO offence but I would go with Motorcraft everytime:)

Ms. Denmark
03-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Haggis
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
On the up side I've had a chauffeur for the past couple days. I could get used to that.:D

Yabba Dabba Doooooo!!!!!!

Bigdogjim
03-07-2014, 08:21 PM
On the up side I've had a chauffeur for the past couple days. I could get used to that.:D

I pay to see pictures of Mr.Man with the hat on. :laugh: