PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

ITSA 91
11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
For the elderly members
Where were you 50 years ago today?-11-22-63
I was an E-4 at Chanute AFB IL.Sent all the civilians home and gave the 2 GIs in my shop broom handles and were told to keep everyone out.About 1800 (6 pm) we were brought to the squad room and told to guard the compound gate.20 broom handles and 1 baseball bat.Told to go home about midnight.Wife was crying as there were no phonelines open to the base.She was crying because this was the second year she had to cancel my supprise birthday party.Easy to remember as JFK was killed on my birthday.
JFKitchen

whitey
11-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Wasnt even born....but Happy birthday! !!

Bluerauder
11-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Where were you 50 years ago today?-11-22-63

Remembering the Kennedy Assassination, Friday, 22 November 1963

Fifty years ago, I was 13 years old and in the 7th grade in Baltimore, MD. I recall that we had just finished lunch and were about to start classes for the afternoon. There was a knock on the door of our classroom and our teacher was called out into the hallway. We could see through the glass on the door that there was some kind of meeting going on in the hall with the principal and all the teachers seemed to be involved. We had no idea what was going on – except that this “delay” in class time was a very rare occurrence. After a few minutes, our teacher came back into the classroom. It was obvious that she was visibily shaken and tears were streaming down her face. Her voice cracked as she told us that President John F. Kennedy had been shot in Dallas, TX. She asked us to pray for him and for the country then told us that the dismissal bell would ring in about 5 minutes.

It did and we all went home as quickly as possible to find out any additional news. A tremendous feeling of sadness was in the air and nobody said a word on the walk home. We would later find out that the President was indeed dead. In fact, he was probably already dead when the announcement was made at school. It was the only thing anyone thought about over that entire weekend.

On Sunday morning, I happened to be watching live TV of the transfer of Lee Harvey Oswald from the jail and witnessed the shooting “live” on the news. I had to tell my parents what I saw about 3 times for them to understand that Oswald had also been shot (and killed). This whole thing was unbelievable.

Monday, 25 November 1963 was declared as a day of mourning and was also a holiday from school. I watched the entire funeral on TV that day. The cadence of the drum march and caisson carrying the body of JFK to Arlington Cemetery is etched in my memory. Very, very sad time in US history.

jerrym3
11-22-2013, 06:08 PM
20 years old, unemployed, washing my 57 BelAir out in the street (must have been a fairly warm day in north Jersey.)

My buddy was washing his (I think) 59 Impala convert.

Pat
11-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I was in Tech school at Keesler AFB, Mississippi. Just married on the tenth, I was 24.

I remember I couldn't get a music station on the radio, just somber elevator music.

When I got home, Gulfport, Mississippi, Patricia didn't know what was going on either. Finally the news was announced that the President had been assassinated.

Patricia asked me if we were under attack, I said I didn't think so. We walked to the beach and listened on the portable as the news unfolded. We were profoundly saddened because we liked both JFK. I voted for him but Patricia was still too young, had to be 21, she was 20. No other politician lit my fire like he did.

Motorhead350
11-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Swimming........

BUCKWHEAT
11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I was a C3C at the USAFA. Had an illegal TV in my room. All the Squadron guys crowded into the room & watched the coverage of Ruby shooting Oswald. First real-time horror TV for most of us. Six months earlier JFK gave the commencement speech at the Academy for the Class of '62. We all saw him then so it was kind of personal.

ajdereicup
11-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Happy Bday and thanks for your service.

I actually visited Chanute AFB this year with family they have pretty large museum there that was pretty cool to check out. Planes they have outside aren't in the best condition though:(

fastblackmerc
11-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Was 7 years old, in 1st grade. Remember being sent home for the day. Watched Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby. Still have the book put out by the Warren Commission that my parents bought.

fastblackmerc
11-23-2013, 05:34 AM
Wasnt even born....but Happy birthday! !!

Seriously?????

NavySeabee
11-23-2013, 05:38 AM
I was attached to my mother's nipple having lunch.

mrjones
11-24-2013, 10:38 AM
That is the earliest memory I have that I can pin a date to. I was 2 years and 3 months old and living in Irving and staying with my grandmother. My mother, aunt, and grandpa all came home from work that day upset and crying. I didn't really understand what the big deal was as long as I still had my toys. I can still see my mamaws turquoise colored couch in my mind's eye.

Blk Mamba
11-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I was 12, and had been sent to the principles office for supplies, heard it on the radio, in the office and went back to the classroom to tell the teacher what had happened, she was mad at me for starting such a terrible rumor, till a few minutes later when the announcement was made, and we were dismissed from school. I also saw Oswald shot that Sunday.

On a side note I worked at CAB in the mid 80's for Boeing doing depot level maint. on KC-135's.

92BlackGT
11-27-2013, 02:39 AM
I didn't exist and my dad wasn't capable of creating the swimmers necessary to create me as he was only 8

tbone
11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
I was just learning how to walk.

wannaMM
11-27-2013, 11:13 AM
I was all kinda mad....my cartoons were pre-emted....