PDA

View Full Version : Emissions problem?

Jolly Roger
11-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Well not really,
the problem is that when I recently took my 04 MM to have it's latest emissions test for my license sticker I'm being told that when they plug into the OBD port that they are not getting a reading.
They say that they are getting an error message indicating that the car is not recognizing the emissions reader therefore they are unable to test the car.
Not even a tailpipe test.
When I take the car to my local mechanic and he plugs in he gets all the info he wants.
Emissions people claim that their testing equiptment is wanting more information than the simple hand held readers that my mechanic is using.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the remedy?
Thanking in advance.:)

RubberCtyRauder
11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
If youhave a tune from someone, i would imagine you need to re-install the factory tune, drive it for like 100 or so miles, test it then re-install your preformance tune. Many items are turned off in a tune that will raise a flag to emissions

Jolly Roger
11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
If youhave a tune from someone, i would imagine you need to re-install the factory tune, drive it for like 100 or so miles, test it then re-install your preformance tune. Many items are turned off in a tune that will raise a flag to emissions

Thanks RCR but I considered that and I've had my tune installed for 8 years now with no problems when it came to testing.;)

RubberCtyRauder
11-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Ohhhhh..Then I'm not sure ( I live in Ohio too....Akron area) but mine is reigistered in Stark cty. a non -emission testing county. Unless new testing equipment is being extra nit picky or if a pin is bent inthe obdII port

1 Bad Merc
11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
In Illinois they updated their programs in July and they are now a lot more sensitive to things that are turned off in the tunes. We all have been working on getting our cars to pass.

It's bs but anyway they can make an extra couple of dollars and inconveniance you is the way Illinois likes to go!

justbob
11-26-2013, 03:51 PM
In Illinois they updated their programs in July and they are now a lot more sensitive to things that are turned off in the tunes. We all have been working on getting our cars to pass.

It's bs but anyway they can make an extra couple of dollars and inconveniance you is the way Illinois likes to go!

I believe this is on the national scale of things. USEPA...

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Motorhead350
11-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Get a waver. I am working on mine tomorrow.

PonyUP
11-26-2013, 04:28 PM
This is national and achieving a waiver is damn near impossible. First you would have to take the car to state approved repair facility, you have to show minimum amount in money spent for a hardship waiver. Any other waiver would have severe limitations on mileage and if busted the fines are enormous.
Long and short, you will either have to have all emissions equipment in place and active, or find a tuner and Dyno that can get around it. I was lucky to find one on New Hampshire.
Absent of that, you will have to wait until emissions is no longer required on our model year.
For what it's worth, anyone familar with my Mass problems, Mos was able to give me a tune that passed,, I just met a state facility guy that was hellbent on returning me to stock. After I jumped through all the hoops, I found a friendly testing state center that gave me the low down on my previous tester.

I recommend contacting Marty

Boost gets you
Love Admiration Idolization & Distinction

EMAS
11-26-2013, 08:15 PM
It has nothing to do with the tune and everything with them either not properly pluging in the connector or they have a bad connector.

No communication means that one or more of the terminals in their connector did not make proper connection with the connector in your car.

They do not ask for more information than a professional scanner and even if they did it all comes across the same two wires.

If there was a problem with your tune it would show as items not supported that their computer says are supported on your particular vehicle.

Double check to make sure all of the terminals in your connector are fully seated, occasionally they can back out slightly.