PDA

View Full Version : Paint for Door Sill Inserts?

MM03MOK
11-26-2013, 11:35 AM
What paint should be used to fill in the letters on the door sills?

Acrylic? Enamel? Clearcoat spray afterwards?

Discuss!!

TYIA!

1 Bad Merc
11-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I would just use some acrylic Testor's model paint. You dont want to hit it with clear afterwords because you dont want to have a peeling issue due to temps or salt or spilling something acidic on it. With the model paint you can touch it up every year if you have too.

Someone might have a full blown system for this so this is Just my .02

fastblackmerc
11-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I use Testors model paint. Small brush, multiple coats. I'd advise against any type of clearcoat as it could turn yellow and may wear off in spots.

When I do them it takes me almost 7 days to complete. I make sure previous coats are completely dry before I do the next coat.

MM03MOK
11-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Testor comes in both acrylic and enamel? Which? What about Duplicolor?

fastblackmerc
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Testor comes in both acrylic and enamel? Which? What about Duplicolor?

I'd stick with enamel.

1 Bad Merc
11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I have good luck with both acrylic and enamel. Some of the testor's paint says acrylic enamel on the bottle. I believe most of it is all the same. Have not used Duplicolor as it is mostly spraycan stuff. I suppose you could tape off the lettering and try it but it would be alot of time/effort into taping to eliminate any overspray. \

I would just stick with the model paint and a good brush.

MM03MOK
11-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Very helpful. Duplicolor has pens that fill in scratches. You can match your car paint.

Testor is the way to go. Thanks for the advise about the clearcoat.

Thanks!

N40GL
11-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Mary: It's a Marauder! Nothing but gold leaf will do.

:)

L.Mark
11-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Very helpful. Duplicolor has pens that fill in scratches. You can match your car paint.

Testor is the way to go. Thanks for the advise about the clearcoat.

Thanks!

I've used these on my DTR to fill in the many sratches when I bought it. There is also a brush that is on the other side of the pen. The color matches nearly perfect.