PDA

View Full Version : computer question from an idiot

rookie1
03-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi all, This is probably a really stupid question. I have WindowsXp and for some reason I can't access or see any of the files I sent to the the recycle bin. I says I have 27 files in there if I go to empty it(haven't emptied it). I need to recover 1 file I deleted. Thanks for any suggestions.

BruteForce
03-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Double-click on the Recycle Bin desktop icon. It should start up a wizard to walk you through recovering your file(s).

Paul T. Casey
03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
I've been that guy before, and I think this is the procedure. Click and highlight the item you want in the recycle bin. Next, I just drag it to the desktop, then put it where I need it. Lotsaluck.

STLThunder
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Don't you just hate it when you have to go retrieve something from the trash...yuck! :lol:

Paul T. Casey
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
BTW, I don't think you qualify as an idiot. An idiot would have emptied the bin first, then asked how to retrieve.

rookie1
03-30-2004, 02:51 PM
thanks for the suggestions so far. I can open the recycle bin, It just won't show me the files that are in there no matter what view I choose. When it opens it appears like it is empty. I know that there are files in there because if I select "empty the bin" it asks for confirmation of deleting 27 files.

BruteForce
03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Do you something like Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional installed (or Undelete by Executive Software)? These progs add an additional layer of protection, kind of like a Recycle Bin for the Recycle Bin. If you do, then start up that program and look for instrcutiions on how to recover a file.