PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln LSC

jimlam56
12-03-2013, 02:51 PM
I am interested in purchasing a Lincoln LSC from the late 80's early 90"s
I like the combination of luxury on top of a Fox chassis.
Anyone ever had one, or knows anything to look for?
I know about the air suspension, there are inexpensive kits out there to make it go away.
Any comments are appreciated!

Peteyg
12-03-2013, 03:12 PM
My mom had one. At the same time, I had a 5.0 LX. try to get as late a model as you can. Hers had the Speed Density system, and my LX had Mass Air. MA is a much better system, especially for mods.

I really liked her LSC, but I suspect that any older Lincoln will have issues with the massive amount of electronics on the inside. Lincoln has always been addicted to putting every gadget they could think of in their cars, and they tend to be tempermental.

Power wise, it has the exact same 5.0 as the Mustang, but is significantly heavier, so you will notice the power drop. It's not slow, but it's not fast, either. All that said, I loved that car, and the LSC package handles very well. I always wanted one of the Midnight Black editions they made that was totally blacked out.

L.Mark
12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I own a 92 Mark VII LSC Deep Jewel Green. Great car!!!! The air ride is not as expensive as you think. And more reliable than in other cars...depending on the car you buy. Be mindful of the moonroof. Even on lower mileage cars they can leak due to the drain plugs being crimped from the factory. First thing to do is remove the rear panels and check both sides. Also look for the moonroof gasket. If these are in bad shape they will be leaking. I bought mine in 97 with low miles and shes setting on 165,000. As for the air ride replacememnt kits, I've heard mixed stories. These cars won't have a cushy ride due to the performance aspect, but they will still ride very nice and with the 5.0L they have adiquate power but are begging to be modded. Don't over pay. There are nice examples out there to be had cheaply. Fortunately they are bottoming out in price...They ran from 84-92, best ones to get would be the 88-89 and do some dash switching. THese years have the BEST SEATS!!! If you get one with the lace rims, get rid of them no matter how nice. They are a nightmare to clean and keep clean...

L.Mark
12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
My mom had one. At the same time, I had a 5.0 LX. try to get as late a model as you can. Hers had the Speed Density system, and my LX had Mass Air. MA is a much better system, especially for mods.

I really liked her LSC, but I suspect that any older Lincoln will have issues with the massive amount of electronics on the inside. Lincoln has always been addicted to putting every gadget they could think of in their cars, and they tend to be tempermental.

Power wise, it has the exact same 5.0 as the Mustang, but is significantly heavier, so you will notice the power drop. It's not slow, but it's not fast, either. All that said, I loved that car, and the LSC package handles very well. I always wanted one of the Midnight Black editions they made that was totally blacked out.

Those are the LSC Special Editions which came in all black, red and the rare grey. No difference other than cosmetics. He's right about the electronics, but ironically they prolly have less than the Marauders do now...The later models 90-92 are more refined, slightly, but seem to have less performance...

71cyclone
12-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Good footnotes, i had a 87 , great car : also the abs /master brake system accumulators can fail ,used on lsc's and Gran National bucks , the accumulators can be had but the German brake boost/system is out of production:beer:

jimlam56
12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Great stuff guys, keep it coming!
I'm looking for a good clean example that I can mod...
Here's a couple I have my eye on:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251390918091?ssPageName=STRK:M EWAX:IT

mrjones
12-03-2013, 06:51 PM
For a short time, we had an 84 with the BMW turbo diesel. That was a sweet ride and got about 33mpg. Terribly slow off the line.

71cyclone
12-03-2013, 07:32 PM
For a short time, we had an 84 with the BMW turbo diesel. That was a sweet ride and got about 33mpg. Terribly slow off the line.

Rare bird , When new 1984 , I saw one at the Dealer-- ' East West Lincoln Merc ' with the optional Geometric Wheels [ :beatnik: ]supposedly 2,300 built ,
between 84-85 many ended up in South America 115 hp ,heads were Linc only .

sflrainmaker01
12-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Well, I had a couple over several years. In fact, I was trying to buy one before I found RescuRauder. The ones I owned were Black LSC SE's One 91 and one 1992. The '91 I owned for a long time and was my daily driver. And, let me tell you, it DID BEG for mods. I put every single 5.0 bolt on thing you could do yet attempting to maintain its stock appearance as much as possible. I even had a custom exhaust made that went straight out the back, just like the factory, but instead of 1 7/8" pipes, they were 2.25" Tucked in just like the factory pipes. Couldn't even tell. The best thing, was adding a posi and 3.73 gears. If it wasn't my DD, I would have went for 3.90 or 4.10. My goal was to put a KB on it, but that never happened. It wound up being on the corner cover of MMFF in the Luxobarge shootout in Englishtown doing a nasty burnout before the next owner did a restomod restoration to it. FWIW, I loved the way it looked with the stock lace wheels. They were a PIA to clean, but worth it. I did not have much trouble with either one (except for all the mods :P ). There is a local guy here that has a BEAUTIFUL early 90's red LSC SE. It had only 60k something miles on it. He wanted all the money. But it was over the top nice. I am not sure if he still has it, but I haven't seen it pop up on CL since I saw it last.

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-03-2013, 09:38 PM
From Wiki:

The Continental Mark VII, later just called the Mark VII, was introduced in 1984. It rode on the Ford Fox platform that was originally used by the 1978 Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. Mark VIIs were manufactured at the Wixom Assembly Plant in Wixom, Michigan through 1992.
The Mark VII had most of the comfort, convenience, and performance options that were available in the 1980s. This included all power accessories, leather seating, keyless entry, an onboard computer and message center, digital instruments (on all except the LSC models after 1986). All Mark VIIs came with full air suspension with an electronic ride control system. Mark VIIs also came with a 4-speed automatic transmission, stainless steel tubular headers, dual exhaust, and either a SEFI or throttle body fuel injection (dependent on model). Some 1987 models and all 1988 models also received a horsepower and torque boost thanks to a larger throttle body and better flowing cylinder heads.
The Mark VII was also the first American vehicle with electronic 4-channel anti-lock brakes (November 1984, six months before the Corvette). It was also the first American vehicle with composite headlights. The vehicle also featured a unique four-wheel air suspension that developed a problematic reputation.
The standard engine was Ford's 302 cu in (4.9 L) Windsor V8, equipped with fuel injection. A high-output version of this engine was available in the Mk VII LSC. The LSC model also included sport-tuned suspension and gearing. In 1984 and 1985 diesel version with BMW engine was available but it was rarely ordered.

Frickin cool!

RoyLPita
12-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I also had an '87 LSC. Most of the ones I have seen (including mine) have the notorious rust issues under the back window into the trunk and in the roof channels above the window frames.
I have my eye on an '88 LSC if I can get the funds for it.

FW_Linc/Merc
12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
We are on our third and still drive the 91 every day. To say we love them is an understatement. The best all-around car we have ever owned. The 88-89 models are the best but are speed density not MAF. Good ones can be found easily for under $5K. Don't worry about the mileage these cars are good to 220K without any issues. The EATC can be cleaned to keep them working rather than replacing. Rust below the molding behind the doors is the most common problem and is hard to repair. http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/index.php is an excellent research/repair source. Anything you want to know is located in their archives and I contributed allot of data to that archive. The ABS parts are the hardest to locate but can be found and most times it is just the accumulator that needs replaced and those were used on more than just the Mark7. Air suspension is no more complicated than the Marauder configuration. 17" mustang wheels work very well on these cars. Do not buy a Bill Blass!

LSCR351
12-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Mark VII owner here also. 3 running ones and 4 parts cars. Personally I like the 86-89 LSC's the most. As already stated, it is a FOX body Mustang with more crapp. Watch out for rust at the bottom of the rear window, roof above the doors, and around the sunroof. After that passes inspection anything else can be fixed. Might even try to find one without a sunroof, but an LSC with a non ASC sunroof is a niceee looking car!

For ride, comfort, dependability, and well put together package a 95+ Panther is hard to beat. But to me, my 87 LSC is the measuring stick all other vehichles are judged by.

ITSA 91
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
My wife drove my 91 LSC for 3 years while I collected parts to install a 557 BBF.If I were to do it over ,I'd stay with a 393 Windsor and keep the stock suspension.

gpfarrell
12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
I've always thought one swapped to a 5-speed would be great. Hanging that 5-speed on the back of a 393 would really rock!

RoyLPita
12-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I've always thought one swapped to a 5-speed would be great. Hanging that 5-speed on the back of a 393 would really rock!

I know of one in NC with this setup. :burnout:

jimlam56
12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys, lots of good info.
I'm actively looking, so if anyone hears of a nice one please let me know.
I'm thinking about a 5 speed swap, but will also look at a more modern automatic swap too.

Got_1
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I have always liked these from the front. I don't care much for the wheel hump in the deck lid. I prefer the thunder bird turbo coupe style over the Lincoln. A blown 5.0 with a 5sp manny would be tits!

FW_Linc/Merc
12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
5 speed conversion very common see my other post for the lincoln site link with details on how to do it.

Boyd Coddington customized a Mark 7 and removed the hump. I know of two others that had the hump removed but I have to say it really did not drastically improve it. The cougar eliminator hood scoop however is a great hood mod.

BlkMamba24
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
We are on our third and still drive the 91 every day. To say we love them is an understatement. The best all-around car we have ever owned. The 88-89 models are the best but are speed density not MAF. Good ones can be found easily for under $5K. Don't worry about the mileage these cars are good to 220K without any issues. The EATC can be cleaned to keep them working rather than replacing. Rust below the molding behind the doors is the most common problem and is hard to repair. http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/index.php is an excellent research/repair source. Anything you want to know is located in their archives and I contributed allot of data to that archive. The ABS parts are the hardest to locate but can be found and most times it is just the accumulator that needs replaced and those were used on more than just the Mark7. Air suspension is no more complicated than the Marauder configuration. 17" mustang wheels work very well on these cars. Do not buy a Bill Blass!

Why say no to a Bill Blass?? Just curious....

RoyLPita
12-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Why say no to a Bill Blass?? Just curious....

Maybe it is just by opinion. Here are some differences from LSC:

Soft ride, 15" wheels and tires (up to '90), pillow top seats ('88-'90), fake woodgrain appearance, digital dash w/o tach, idiot lights for oil pressure, amperage, and coolant temp, no fog lights (but wired for it), lo-po engine w/single exhaust ('84-'87), chrome lower moldings w/no blackout underneath. Lincoln "crosshairs" emblem.

eric jones
12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a 91' LSC SE all black. I put 18" TSW wheels and I love it. I really like mine and the torque is pretty good. I am doing the eaton swap on the Marauder and the cost of the eaton plus the rebuild of the motor w/forged internals; I could have built a 400 hp LSC and still had money. As soon as I get good pics I am going to post them in the gallery.

LSCR351
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM

T56 Here! Behind a Vortech'd 351.

L.Mark
12-07-2013, 12:55 AM
The 91-92 BB's were nearly identical with the LSC inside and out...I actually like the chrome slab on those years and tried to find a good set in the JR...

sflrainmaker01
12-08-2013, 08:02 AM
The thing I don't like about the Bill Blass is the seats and the digital dash.
Other than that, there are some differing trim pieces that set aside the exterior. I just have always liked the LSC, especially the SE.

L.Mark
12-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Not a big fan of certain digital layouts...but the 91-92 BB have the analog dash as well...past up on a silver frost a long time ago when I didn't like the cars...