PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrenches for $12.00 at Harbor Frieght

marauderthis
12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I just bought the 1/2 " version from Harbor Freight for $12.00. I'm impressed. If you want one just use the coupon if the bar code doesn't scan the cashier will put in the code.

RF Overlord
12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I would be very leery of a $12 torque wrench, especially a junky Chinese one from HF. Compare it against a known good wrench, and be sure not to ever drop it. Store it in the "relaxed" state and it may be OK for occasional consumer-type use.

lji372
12-07-2013, 09:58 AM
+1

+1 to post count too. :wave:

Limited360
12-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Certain things you spend money on.... A calibrated measuring device is one of those... We send our torque wrenches out at. $75 a pop to get re calibrated yearly to stay ISO compliant. Making one and selling it @ $12 including profit seems dodgie to me

marauderthis
12-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I compared it at someones shop I was told its decent.
I certainly would not use it for an engine build.
But I definitely would use it for torquing wheel nuts

whitey
12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
ive got one, 3/8th drive, while it may not be the best, it works, and its not one of those tools that ill use everyday. accuracy? claims to be +-4%, is it? i dont know, but its close enough for me. now as for tools i use everyday, i wont waste my money at harbor freight.

lji372
12-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I compared it at someones shop I was told its decent.
I certainly would not use it for an engine build.
But I definitely would use it for torquing wheel nuts

Test at low mid and high. If its close at all 3. Then roll with it for dumb stuffs :beer:

fastblackmerc
12-07-2013, 10:42 AM
For occasional / home use Horrible Freight tools are OK IMHO. I'd never buy them for professional use.

whitey
12-07-2013, 11:01 AM
For occasional / home use Horrible Freight tools are OK IMHO. I'd never buy them for professional use.

Exactly!!!!

VMARAUDER
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I have that torque wrench and I don't trust it...took it back and exchanged it because the adjustment spindle did not move smoothly. The replacement was the same so I will never use it again for any really precise torques.
You do dget what you pay for

ajdereicup
12-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I've read a magazine article where the HF version is about the same as more expensive craftsmen ones.

It also mentions about click type torque wenches that they loose accuracy over time if you don't return them to 0 when storing them because the spring gets weak but that's for ANY click type if you don't return it to 0.

HF has some good things. Other stuff they carry are just crap. Some just need a small thing replaced with something of higher quality and you have just as good of a tool as one that cost multiples of the HF piece for a LOT less.

If you use it every single day and use it hard I'd be leery about most of the stuff though and just watch it if you did decide to go with their stuff

Joe Walsh
12-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I buy Harbor Fright tools for '1 and done' type usage.

I'd NEVER risk a set of expensive TTY head bolts, harmonic balancer, nor an entire engine to a $12 Torque wrench.

BTW: I recently sent my 30+ year old Craftsman Torque wrench back to have it calibrated when it started acting funky.
It cost me $52 to have it rebuilt & calibrated, and came back with a certified test sheet signed by the technician.

I do like being able to return Harbor Freight tools when they break, which they always do, and getting a full refund.

Marauderjack
12-08-2013, 01:54 PM
DO NOT use this torque wrench on spark plugs in '03 heads.....just sayin'!!!!:rolleyes: