PDA

View Full Version : need help with lizard identification

whitey
12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
wondering if anybody here is into reptiles? heres my situation:
when my dad passed away on october 14th, many flowers were sent from different florist and one was a mini terrarium. i chose to take home the terrarium in rememberance of my father, and so far, so good. about a week and a half ago, as i was watering it, i noticed something move..."what the.." and focused my eyes on what i thought was a small newt. ive been keeping an eye on him ever since, and i thought i'd try to do some research on him to see what he was. well, im no reptile-oligist, but i did find out that lizards have 5 toes up in front, and newts and salamanders have only 4. well, my little buddy has 5 toes, but thats as far as im getting with researching. im assuming he is eating tiny black flies that are flying around it, and other insects that i seen in the peat moss that fills the terrarium. hes around an inch long(head and body) and another inch for his tail. if anybody can help identify him, it would be great. i can try to take pictures tomorrow if anybody can help, otherwise i'll let him live in his own little world.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Probably an anole.

whitey
12-09-2013, 10:02 PM
it may be, i thought anoles were green, but i just googled it and he looks similar to the brown ones..

Baconbit
12-10-2013, 04:35 AM
I must say this title is a little misleading lol.

Baconbit
12-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Probably an anole.

Whoa whoa whoa Jim! Let's keep it clean! Lol

fastblackmerc
12-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Anoles can change color.

Bluerauder
12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Anoles can change color.
Yes, but from light brown to dark brown to nearly black.

whitey
12-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Its a anole, thanks guys

gdmjoe
12-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Possibly a skink.

Became VERY familiar with 'em when I relocated South to NC.

They come in a variety of colors, striped and unstriped.

Are quick a hell.

They burroughed under the railroad ties that were used to demarc the parking/driving lot in front and beside the shop.

fastblackmerc
12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Yes, but from light brown to dark brown to nearly black.

Also can change to different shades of green.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anole&client=firefox-a&hs=r1k&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7yunUsecNKejsQSQvoDQAw&ved=0CFIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=854

fastblackmerc
12-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Possibly a skink.

Became VERY familiar with 'em when I relocated South to NC.

They come in a variety of colors, striped and unstriped.

Are quick a hell.

They burroughed under the railroad ties that were used to demarc the parking/driving lot in front and beside the shop.
Skink images.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=skink+pictures&client=firefox-a&hs=63k&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eiynUuvYK-rksASi3YCICA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=854

Still think it's an anole.

whitey
12-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I must say this title is a little misleading lol.

At probably 2 inches head to tip of tail, hes just a wee bit smaller than you lil' bitty:P

Mr. Man
12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Got a pic?

This time of year many terrariums are shipped from S. America and it could be a Brazilian wharf lizard.. They are small when babies but can grow to over five feet in length. Bite is mildly poisonous.

Bluerauder
12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Also can change to different shades of green.
Yes, that would be the green anole that is common to the Carolinas. The brown anole is indigenous to Cuba, Caribbean and South America and was introduced to the USA back in the 1970s.

whitey
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Looking at pics of anoles, im going to say thats what he is. Thanks guys!

Haggis
12-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Looking at pics of anoles, im going to say thats what he is. Thanks guys!

Psst Whitey, it's an anole.