PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever upgraded trailer axles??

fireandice9008
12-18-2013, 02:20 PM
And by trailer axles, I mean car hauler axles. Case in point, stick with me here:

My 20' gooseneck car hauler has dual 5200lb axles, giving an axle weight of 10400lbs. The empty weight of the trailer is almost dead at 4000, giving me an axle haul-able weight of 6400. The trailer is GVWR'd at 9990. The latter doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the trailer is horrendously overbuilt and the 5200lb axles seem underrated to me. I can fit a full size truck, but cut it too close for comfort on weight.

Opinions only, would it be feasible to sling 2 7000lb axles under it, giving me an extra axle haul-able 3600lbs, and also giving me 8 lug 16" tires and wheels? In an ideal world, I would just sell or trade it for another trailer, but unless someone wants to swap straight up, I can't really do that right now. Or should I just deal with it for a while? Eventually i'd like to get an enclosed car hauler I could ferry the Marauder around should I need to, but I still want to have a flatbed.

wannaMM
12-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Alls good--- as I'm sure you'd check the spring c/c...new hardware and off U go....