PDA

View Full Version : RADIATOR HOSE ENGINE BLOCK HEATER

marauderthis
01-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Does anyone have a radiator hose engine block heater installed in their Marauder?
I am considering installing one into my car.

RubberCtyRauder
01-02-2014, 09:50 AM
why do you need a block heater in Alabama?

marauderthis
01-02-2014, 09:55 AM
I have a carport and the temperatures lately have been in the very low 30's

RubberCtyRauder
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't think it is necessary for temps like that..I;ve lived in OH and WI all my life and never had an issue as long as you keep the fuel level above half a tank and a good battery in it. I mean it is going down to like 4 degrees here tonight. and colder on the way. Just don't let it sit for extended times without running it. And don;t start it up and go full bore onthe throttle, let it idle for a moment and then be easy on it while it gets to operating temp. This is my opinion and i've dealt with subzero temps numerous times over 32 year of driving

VMARAUDER
01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Save your time and money...not needed unless 0 or less for a sustained period

Joe Walsh
01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Yep....in your area, as rare as really cold temps are....I'd just put a 100 watt aluminum hooded work light under the oil pan on those occasional cold snaps.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grip-37265-Clamp-On-Work-Light-with-6-Ft.-Cord/14698605

My Ranger has the OEM block heater and I have rarely used it here in Maryland.
Having said that, I am going to plug it in this Friday night and this weekend when we get highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits.
It is nice to have heat almost instantly, and know that the oil is actually being pumped to engine parts instead of through the oil filter's bypass valve.