PDA

View Full Version : Fusion 2006 warning light

Donald
01-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Stopped for coffee and when I started up again I had a gas cap warning light. Thought someone stole it while I was drinking my coffee. Checked and the cap is there and on tight.

Any idea just what the error is? New cap time?

martyo
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Scan your car for code. Report back.

The repair could be as simple as needed a new cap. It could have a crack from the cold weather.

Edit: scratch the cold weather part - I see you live in California Lol

MM2004
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Stopped for coffee and when I started up again I had a gas cap warning light. Thought someone stole it while I was drinking my coffee. Checked and the cap is there and on tight.

Any idea just what the error is? New cap time?

I have an '08 Fusion and this happened to me one time.

I do recall the cap being properly in place, and unscrewed it, screwed it back on then drove it.

It took several miles at highway speed for the light to go out.

Hasn't happened since.

Mike.

Donald
01-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Well, borrowed my neighbors scanner. It just displayed Err. More RTFM on the car and realized it used CAN. So borrowed his CAN scanner. Plugged it it and nada. No screen. More RTFM with the wiring and checked the fuse for the port. It is fine. Give up and hit AutoZone to see if their scanner will work. I am in CA and the idiots in Sacramento apparently passed a law that says only certified repair shops can do an ODB scan. Bought a new cap anyways. Got home and talked to neighbor. Plugs the CAN scanner into his G8 and it works. Back to the Fusion. He plugs the CAN scanner in and it works. Apparently it needed a hard thrust. I like to plug in slow and easy. It displayed the bad gas cap code. Since the new cap was on I cleared the code. Light went off and stayed off after a few engine starts. Will see if it stays off after actually driving.

So, satisfaction is based on how you use your plug. ;)