PDA

View Full Version : GOODBYE Jim Beam and Makers Mark

MERCMAN
01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/13/3031681/beam-inc-to-be-acquired-by-japanese.html

RF Overlord
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Although I hate the thought of them being owned by anyone outside the US, it could be worse; at least the Japanese are into high-end whiskey so hopefully they don't mess with the recipes...

Mr. Man
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Misleading title there Dan. Beam was gone when they moved their brand to Ill. :P

Interesting read though. Always fun to see who really owns the stuff we consume. My dad is going to be heartbroken when he learns he's been drinking Japanese scotch (Teachers) for years:lol:

RF Overlord
01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I was shocked to learn the Japanese owned Laphroaig... :eek:

fastblackmerc
01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
I have a good friend that manages the local Pepsi bottling plant (Santory also owns Frito Lay which Pepsi is a part of) and Santory is hands off as far as the mechanics are concerned.

Who cares where or who owns the company as long as it still made the same way.

Motorhead350
01-14-2014, 03:49 PM

Exactly!....

Mr. Man
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I have a good friend that manages the local Pepsi bottling plant (Santory also owns Frito Lay which Pepsi is a part of) and Santory is hands off as far as the mechanics are concerned.

Actually to some degree I care. I used to be a Rolling Rock beer drinker then Budweiser bought them, (then someone bought Bud). Budweiser abruptly decided they could chemically make Rolling Rock in their Newark, NJ plant cheaper than in Latrobe PA. Maybe they can and maybe they can make it taste like water from Pa. I have never seen where Rolling Rock used to source their water, but I do know where Budweiser sources their water in Newark, and there is no amount of filtering that could get me to drink Rolling Rock knowingly again.. Now I drink Yeungling, been to their factory and all seems good for now and they are family owned.

Joe Walsh
01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Actually to some degree I care. I used to be a Rolling Rock beer drinker then Budweiser bought them, (then someone bought Bud). Budweiser abruptly decided they could chemically make Rolling Rock in their Newark, NJ plant cheaper than in Latrobe PA. Maybe they can and maybe they can make it taste like water from Pa. I have never seen where Rolling Rock used to source their water, but I do know where Budweiser sources their water in Newark, and there is no amount of filtering that could get me to drink Rolling Rock knowingly again.. Now I drink Yeungling, been to their factory and all seems good for now and they are family owned.

It is sad that the ONLY large US breweries left that are not owned by foreign companies are:

Yuengling....my favorite, mass produced beer.
Sam Adams....good variety of different beers.
Pabst....at least they brew Natty Boh!!!

Coors is owned by Molsen and is still brewing pale colored water.
Budweiser is owned by Inbev and is still brewing beechwood aged pale colored water.
Miller is owned by SABMiller and is still brewing Lite pale colored water.

Duvalballer
01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
"When final, the sale will mean that three major Kentucky distilleries will be Japanese-owned (Jim Beam, Maker's Mark and Four Roses, which is owned by Kirin." I work for Anheuser Busch. Kirin is distributed by Anheuser. So its made by Americans, distributed by Americans, but owned by foreigners. I can live with that. And i drink ALOT of Jim Beam!

kcmm
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
i used to enjoy rolling rock aswell until they changed it up. cant drink it now.

Davesvt2000
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
They are actually forcasting an increase in hiring and jobs, since they will now be EXPORTING even more JB and MM to other countries, where demand is rising.

Mr. Man
01-14-2014, 08:28 PM
It is sad that the ONLY large US breweries left that are not owned by foreign companies are:

Yuengling....my favorite, mass produced beer. Same here :beer:
Sam Adams....good variety of different beers. Somehow America's 4th largest brewer manages to do it all in his basement. :rolleyes:
Pabst....at least they brew Natty Boh!!! Pabst is like Schaffer and Schlitz, tasteless beer used only for the purpose of getting s.hitfaced hammered on the cheap. :party1::drink:

Coors is owned by Molsen and is still brewing pale colored water.
Budweiser is owned by Inbev and is still beechwood aged pale colored water.
Miller is owned by SABMiller and is still brewing Lite pale colored water.

To funny^^^^
In red.............

Joe Walsh
01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
You know what they say about Coors Light don't you.....?

It's like having sex in a canoe!.....

Ef*' N near water!

You really have to work hard to get around the 'PC' police when posting that word!

Bigdogjim
01-15-2014, 12:42 AM
I doubt a Company will spend 16 billion and a mess with the product. (as far as quality goes)

Only difference is now the profit will go to Japan to be invested there instead of America.

MM2004
01-15-2014, 05:20 AM
MM pissed me off years ago when they stopped offering their 100 proof, gold wax bottles to the States.

At the time this happened, a fifth of the 100 proof in Japan would sell for ~$75.00.

Now, their "46"... Oh yeah!

While not a huge fan of Beam, their Devil's Cut I do enjoy.

Four Roses.. Damn good Bourbon.

All this saddens me as I can drive to either MM, Beam or Four Roses in about an hour.

Mike.

Mebot
01-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Maker's never went through with 43 right?

MM2004
01-15-2014, 05:22 AM

Ryan,

You mean "46"?

:confused:

Mike.

Haggis
01-15-2014, 05:33 AM
Ryan,

You mean "46"?

:confused:

Mike.

Ryan, Maker's diid sell the lower proof Bourbon for a little while. But, so many customers complained that they went back to the original proof. I believe all the bottles had the Raven's colors since they won the Superbowl that year.

Mebot
01-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Yeah what I was talking about was when makers said they were going to reduce the alcohol to 43% but so many people complained. I was just wondering if they ever made a batch or two

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away..

Haggis
01-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Yeah what I was talking about was when makers said they were going to reduce the alcohol to 43% but so many people complained. I was just wondering if they ever made a batch or two

Yes, they did.

Mebot
01-15-2014, 06:03 AM
I want to find a bottle

Davesvt2000
01-15-2014, 06:31 AM
All this saddens me as I can drive to either MM, Beam or Four Roses in about an hour.

And this will change how ?

It won't.

MM2004
01-15-2014, 07:03 AM
And this will change how ?

It won't.

This is true.

Was just sayin...

;)

Mike.

Haggis
01-15-2014, 07:24 AM
r upset about Jim Beam and Maker's turning Japanese rear this article. (http://nation.time.com/2014/01/13/five-jim-beam-alternatives-for-the-patriotic-bourbon-drinker/)

MM2004
01-15-2014, 08:02 AM
r upset about Jim Beam and Maker's turning Japanese rear this article. (http://nation.time.com/2014/01/13/five-jim-beam-alternatives-for-the-patriotic-bourbon-drinker/)

Gordon,

I've heard good things about Angel's Envy. Have you tried it yet?

MIke.

a_d_a_m
01-15-2014, 08:07 AM

Yuengling....my favorite, mass produced beer.
Sam Adams....good variety of different beers.
Pabst....at least they brew Natty Boh!!! Not that they're a 'mega' but Genesee is still American-owned and is one of my favorites.

Rolling Rock doesn't taste the same as it used to, I'll agree with that. But when they first changed the brewing location it was AWFUL. They fixed it up a little bit, it's closer than it used to be.

As far as whiskey, I drink Rebel Reserve. Never been a fan of Beam or Jack.

Haggis
01-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Gordon,

I've heard good things about Angel's Envy. Have you tried it yet?

MIke.

Not yet, still waiting for the Angel's Envy Rye to come out. But, can it still be called a bourbon. Since it goes through an aging process that adds other flavors?

MM2004
01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Not yet, still waiting for the Angel's Envy Rye to come out. But, can it still be called a bourbon. Since it goes through an aging process that adds other flavors?

My guess would be yes, as long as it fulfills the Bourbon requirements.

Maker's "46" is Bourbon, and they added additional staves inside the barrels during the aging process to enhance/change the flavor.

Mike.

jsignorelli
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
When I was a research chemist for Jos. E. Segram & Sons in the 80's, we had products that were only sold in Japan. They were willing to pay 4X what we could sell it for in the States. So, with a limited supply of very high end brandy, it all went to japan. The Japanese consumers really appreciate quality alcoholic spirits and they are willing to pay for it.
The good news is that the quality of Jim Beam will be maintained under their leadership.

I wish that was true many other "American" products. One only has to look at the LCM in our cars to understand my bitterness toward falling standards in some American brands.

fastblackmerc
01-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Jim Beam will still be made in America by Americans.....

guspech750
01-15-2014, 04:49 PM

With profits going back to Japan and tax loopholes galore.

Win Win.
:mad:

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Haggis
01-16-2014, 05:43 AM

And it will still be rotgut.

fastblackmerc
01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
And it will still be rotgut.

Don't drink it so I wouldn't know.

Haggis
01-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Don't drink it so I wouldn't know.

Trust me then. :evil-laugh:

joe mosely
01-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Hell I like Beam. I'm drinking some right now as a matter of fact.

UncleLar
01-17-2014, 11:22 PM
With profits going back to Japan and tax loopholes galore.

Win Win.
:mad:

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Gee,like Honda,Toyota,etc,etc.
Look at the bright side,at least it's something the Chinese DIDN'T buy,within 10-20 years America will be buying most of our cars from China,(our legislature is already forcing us to buy CFC light bulbs from them)and China willl own the whole country.

rayjay
01-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Not that they're a 'mega' but Genesee is still American-owned and is one of my favorites.

Rolling Rock doesn't taste the same as it used to, I'll agree with that. But when they first changed the brewing location it was AWFUL. They fixed it up a little bit, it's closer than it used to be.

As far as whiskey, I drink Rebel Reserve. Never been a fan of Beam or Jack.

12 Horse Ale FTW! I was weened on Cream Ale. Its also Bock time up there... :(