PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

Mebot
01-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Tonight I got to see Lone Survivor starring Mark Wahlberg. It was a company event and I'm thankful and honored to have seen this remarkable film with my colleagues.

Why, You ask? Because the majority of my company served in some capacity of Special Operations Forces (SOF) and this film speaks volumes.

It's not a great or terrific movie. In fact there were lots of schlocky moments and the requisite tearjerker moments. But the cinema verite aside, this film is amazing. It makes my job and what I do to support our deployed warfighter meaningful.

A lot of my colleagues, as I mentioned, are ex SOF and the missions they were part of (and continue to support) today are never reported in the news or made public. It's unfortunate events and tragic incidents such as what's depicted in Lone Survivor that bring the amazing capabilities of these individuals.

Lone Survivor. It's a movie I love to hate and hate to love. I want to pick up Marcus Littrell's book that this movie is based off of.

Joe Walsh
01-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I've read the book, but have not seen the movie yet.

Book was a great read.
Especially like how the village 'tribesman' protects him from the Taliban because of local customs concerning guests.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

REAL4WD
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
You should pick up the book of Lone Survivor and Seal of Honor as well (about LT Michael Murphy)

heads up, the first half of Lone Survivor (book) is events leading up to the mission, so when reading please keep that in mind. Also when you get to the mission my bet is you won't want to and or be able to put it down.

the movie was awesome. and don't listen to the stupid comment/reviews made by the libs.

L.Mark
01-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Tonight I got to see Lone Survivor starring Mark Wahlberg. It was a company event and I'm thankful and honored to have seen this remarkable film with my colleagues.

Why, You ask? Because the majority of my company served in some capacity of Special Operations Forces (SOF) and this film speaks volumes.

It's not a great or terrific movie. In fact there were lots of schlocky moments and the requisite tearjerker moments. But the cinema verite aside, this film is amazing. It makes my job and what I do to support our deployed warfighter meaningful.

A lot of my colleagues, as I mentioned, are ex SOF and the missions they were part of (and continue to support) today are never reported in the news or made public. It's unfortunate events and tragic incidents such as what's depicted in Lone Survivor that bring the amazing capabilities of these individuals.

Lone Survivor. It's a movie I love to hate and hate to love. I want to pick up Marcus Littrell's book that this movie is based off of.

Awesome!!! :nworthy::nworthy:

Haggis
01-16-2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the write up, Ryan.

CWright
01-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Kim and I went Friday night to see it. This is a GREAT movie and I highly recommend it. My dad, a Vietnam vet, is going this weekend. He can't wait!

tbone
01-16-2014, 08:40 AM
The end of the movie brought tears to my eyes. Makes it real. Everyone clapped. It was awesome.

RichardP
01-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Did you guys see that Marcus himself made an appearance in the movie? Pretty cool.

Mebot
01-16-2014, 11:33 AM
You should pick up the book of Lone Survivor and Seal of Honor as well (about LT Michael Murphy)

heads up, the first half of Lone Survivor (book) is events leading up to the mission, so when reading please keep that in mind. Also when you get to the mission my bet is you won't want to and or be able to put it down.

the movie was awesome. and don't listen to the stupid comment/reviews made by the libs.

Yes I do plan on picking up Lone Survivor. The Michael P. Murphy Award in Geospatial Intelligence has been awarded to two of our employees. One was in attendance last night during the screening. As I mentioned above, watching the film in the capacity of former SOF individuals really meant a lot, and the fact that we still continue to support the warfighter on a daily basis gives me tremendous honor.

The end of the movie brought tears to my eyes. Makes it real. Everyone clapped. It was awesome.
Yep

Did you guys see that Marcus himself made an appearance in the movie? Pretty cool.
I did notice that. He was a US Navy SEAL

marauder410
01-16-2014, 08:17 PM
ive seen it its a bad azz movie is anybody whats to check it out go to watch32.com and can watch it perfect picture an sound

Fman
01-16-2014, 08:30 PM
I attended a "speech" given by Marcus at a conference I attended. He was supposed to speak for 50 minutes or so, but ended up speaking for almost 1 1/2 hours. Very intense person and speaker; he would look off into the distance when telling his story and you could imagine he was still living it in his head. His dog was there, walking around the crowd. Although he went over the time and we all had classes to attend, no one complained and no one left early. We were hanging on his words b/c his story was so tragic & inspirational at the same time. After he finished and I was in the elevator going to my room, Marcus, two friends?, the hotel host and his dog got on the elevator talking about the rest of his tour. They wouldn't let anyone else get on the elevator, but since I was already on, they didn't ask me to leave:)

MMBLUE
01-17-2014, 07:50 AM
I've read the book, but have not seen the movie yet.

Book was a great read.
Especially like how the village 'tribesman' protects him from the Taliban because of local customs concerning guests.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie as well. I got to spend a lot of time with Afghans both civ and mil, and this is so true. They are probably the most accommodating culture I have ever met.

marauder21
01-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Great movie. Definitely going to buy when it comes up..this movie just got me thinking, imagine how many great war movies we could have if more vets, soldiers, etc will tell there story and share to the public.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk