PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Mirrors - I Never Noticed This Before

Bluerauder
01-24-2014, 02:37 PM
The Taurus SHO has heated outside mirrors. For the past two days, I have parked on the lower level of the parking garage at work. After driving this car for nearly 2 years, I just noticed that the driver's side mirror has a blue tint to it when the defroster is ON. It happened yesterday and again today. It almost looks like a tinted decal fitted to the mirror with a 1/4 inch border all the way around. It is a very obvious blue which soon disappears after I exit the garage. It surprised me because I have never seen it before and it is a REALLY obvious blue. Not sure if it is related to the heated mirror aspect or whether it was because that section of the garage was darker than my normal parking spot. The passenger side mirror didn't appear blue at the same time.

Anybody know why this is happening ??

The MM has heated mirrors too and I have never noticed the same thing on its driver side mirror.

Mr. Man
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Not sure about your SHO tint, but when I was installing windows for, let's just say too long, I noticed some glass had a blue hue and others didn't. Glass guy told me Ford glass had a blue hue and most glass made by PPG and Cardinal had a smoke hue if any at all.

Could be that the glass in the mirror was actually made at Fords glass factory or it may be tinted.

Sounds like you have a weekend investigation ahead of you. We expect a full detailed report on your findings on Sunday. ;)

Bluerauder
01-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Could be that the glass in the mirror was actually made at Fords glass factory or it may be tinted. ;)

It may be related to the glass itself. However, there was a very distinct 1/4 border around the blue part that makes me think that it might be some sort of applique that just turns blue under certain conditions. Maybe it is the cold temps (it was single digits this morning) combined with the defrost feature. Or maybe it was strictly dependent on the lighting conditions. But it doesn't do it on the passenger side.

marauder21
01-24-2014, 04:48 PM
I have the same thing on my 98 park Avenue except of blue tho, it's like a yellowish orange type of color

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ctrlraven
01-24-2014, 05:05 PM
I've seen that on newer Acura, Lexus and Mercedes cars that I have worked on. I thought it was just some type of special tint on it to lessen the light shining back at the driver, kind of like a filter. I could see it plan as day regardless if the defroster was on or not. It has the distinct 1/8-1/4" border on them as well. I know Acura was doing it on the TL model back since 2003, it reduces eyestrain in bright conditions and acts as a anti-glare filter when someone is behind you at night.

Bluerauder
01-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Sounds like you have a weekend investigation ahead of you. We expect a full detailed report on your findings on Sunday. ;)

Research completed ahead of schedule. I think that I have solved the mystery. The answer was in the sales brochure in Equipment Package 401A for the 2012 Taurus SHO.

Apparently the driver's side mirror has an "auto-dimming feature". I think that the combination of the darkness in the garage and the reflection of the sun off the snow in the outside lower lot created a condition that mimicked high beams in your mirror at night. In the daylight the blue dimming tint was clearly visible. Under night conditions, it wouldn't be as noticeable. I am guessing this is why I never noticed it before because it generally only happens at night.

Exterior
*19" premium Luster Nickel-painted aluminum wheels with
P255/45R19 all-season tires
*Body-color, power, heated sideview mirrors with memory,
security approach lamps, auto-dimming driver’s side and
integrated blind spot mirrors
*Dual exhaust with chrome-tipped pipes
*High-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with autolamp
*Rear spoiler

Mr. Man
01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
I was just wondering if it could be an auto dimming feature.

Bluerauder
01-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I was just wondering if it could be an auto dimming feature.

Yeah, we figured that out !! :P

Mr. Man
01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Yeah, we figured that out !! :P

You must have been tapping into my mental acuity. :rolleyes: :D

Bluerauder
01-25-2014, 06:30 AM
You must have been tapping into my mental acuity. :rolleyes: :D

Glad to hear that you found it again. I was beginning to think it was permanently lost. :P

Spectragod
01-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Research completed ahead of schedule. I think that I have solved the mystery. The answer was in the sales brochure in Equipment Package 401A for the 2012 Taurus SHO.

Apparently the driver's side mirror has an "auto-dimming feature". I think that the combination of the darkness in the garage and the reflection of the sun off the snow in the outside lower lot created a condition that mimicked high beams in your mirror at night. In the daylight the blue dimming tint was clearly visible. Under night conditions, it wouldn't be as noticeable. I am guessing this is why I never noticed it before because it generally only happens at night.

Exterior
*19" premium Luster Nickel-painted aluminum wheels with
P255/45R19 all-season tires
*Body-color, power, heated sideview mirrors with memory,
security approach lamps, auto-dimming driver’s side and
integrated blind spot mirrors
*Dual exhaust with chrome-tipped pipes
*High-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with autolamp
*Rear spoiler

Also referred to as electro chromatic mirrors, very handy when you have a goof
Behind you with their high beams on.

Bluerauder
01-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Also referred to as electro chromatic mirrors, very handy when you have a goof
Behind you with their high beams on.

.... or the jacked up Pick-Up truck with headlights at the same height as the mirrors sitting behind you at a stoplight.

Blk Mamba
01-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I have it on My f-150 Lariot, in blue also, really made me look the first time I saw it.

Mr. Man
01-25-2014, 02:13 PM
.... or the jacked up Pick-Up truck with headlights at the same height as the mirrors sitting behind you at a stoplight.

I'm surprised glare would bother you, what with your cataracts and all.....:P:D;)

Bluerauder
01-25-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm surprised glare would bother you, what with your cataracts and all.....:P:D;)

Ha, Ha .... I don't even own a boat let alone a Cataract. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Also referred to as electro chromatic mirrors,
very handy when you have a goof behind you with their high beams on.

Too many of those 'high beams locked on' Honda/Toyota driving tards to count in my area.....:mad: