PDA

View Full Version : HotLanta fun in the sun!

Marauder_Santa
01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
37315. Leaving work. Second attempt.

L.Mark
01-28-2014, 04:34 PM
NIce, mine looked the same way...:(:(:(

Granddaddy Marq
01-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Good luck getting home David. Wish I was there...........NOT!

Bigdogjim
01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Please be safe! I trust you all can drive, however it always the other driver that does us in.

IwantmyMMnow!
01-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Took a measurement at my place about 2 hours ago....just shy of 4". It was snowing when I got up at 830 this morning (hardly any accumulation) and has been falling steady since, although it's been very, very light the past several hours. I've never seen it snow for this long of a duration, yet only have 4"....the size of the flakes have been on the small side most of the day.

Classes were canxed today...since I was already up, dressed and ready to go before I checked to see the class situation, I ran out to get a few things before the roads got crappy....glad I did. Temps remained in the lower 20s all day and it's supposed to get down to 13 tonight.

I tried to take some pics, but they all turned out like crap.

Motorhead350
01-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Looks like more Marauder part outs will be happening since no one is using snow tires.

MOTOWN
01-28-2014, 11:04 PM
I thought i left the snow in Detroit!:shake::mad:

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 05:33 AM
Snow not do much the issue in Atlanta. It's the ice. Every worker and school kid hit the roads at the same time - 2pm. Roads were icy and clogged.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 05:35 AM
37319. This was the scene at a gas station I stopped at for a while.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
I ended up abandoning the car in an office parking lot 3 miles from home. I wasn't alone. Tons of people did same thing.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Walked home. It may be Thursday before I can get car home.

Bluerauder
01-29-2014, 06:10 AM
I ended up abandoning the car in an office parking lot 3 miles from home. I wasn't alone. Tons of people did same thing.

Saw on the TV News this morning that lots of people had abandoned their cars and were sleeping in the aisles at grocery stores. Some school kids spent the night in the classrooms. Sounds extremely treacherous down there in the Atlanta area and not much relief coming in the next couple days to melt this crap.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
May get warm enough Thursday afternoon. Some kids were stuck on buses.

Curless
01-29-2014, 08:13 AM
OMG!!!!! You guys are sissies!!!! SERIOUSLY??? Here let me get a picture of my sidewalk for you.....

RF Overlord
01-29-2014, 08:32 AM
I remember the time it snowed 2" in DC and the area was paralysed. Gummint shut down and all...

So far in January we've had 3 storms...first was 15", second was closer to a foot and the one this morning has put down 5" so far. Business as usual.

martyo
01-29-2014, 09:33 AM
This is what I got home after a five hour commute:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1017391_10151849488996566_1482 531830_n.jpg

I thought I left this crap in New York.......

RF Overlord
01-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Does the entire state of GA even own a plow?

RubberCtyRauder
01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Does the entire state of GA even own a plow?

I think the airport does, but theyare set up for runway and not street..since they are prolly really wide

IwantmyMMnow!
01-29-2014, 09:51 AM
OMG!!!!! You guys are sissies!!!! SERIOUSLY??? Here let me get a picture of my sidewalk for you.....

Just like when you guys complain about a couple days of 90+ temps, right? ;)

This is the South...we don't get snow all winter long like you guys do, so there's no need to have a 'fleet' of snow removal equipment you folks do. We have our 1 or 2 storms per winter, shut down for a couple days, then resume business.

The weather folks did a poor job on this storm...did not forecast its' effects far enough north. I had a gut feeling they were missing the boat on this one when I saw the forecast on Monday. For my area, the forecast for Tuesday was sunny and upper 30s, with a chance for snow Tues evening into this morning, accumulations of less than 1 inch....oops.

I imagine the NWS offices that didn't forecast any significant winter weather in areas that got hit are getting flamed and hard. It is a slippery slope...which is worse, forecasting hell and damnation and nothing happens, or forecasting nothing and hell and damnation happens? Either way, folks are going to complain.

JM2C....

Zack
01-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I've been driving my Marauder everyday with zero problems.
This thing is a BEAST in winter.

boatmangc
01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I've been driving my Marauder everyday with zero problems.
This thing is a BEAST in winter.

That's what Landy said too…...

Baaad GN
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Atlanta's mess does not surprize me, when we were down there last fall the traffic was bumper to bumper with people driving like it was a video game. Also shocked on all the foreign cars on the road, hopefuul this will weed some of them out! So ya add a "lttle" snow and you know those good old boy's like the 4 wheelers, do I need to say more? Here's how we handle snow, ice, Blizard etc, slow down!!!!!!! DAAAAAAA Hmmm that cold air will help your horsepower figures, go joy riding and have fun!

sflrainmaker01
01-29-2014, 11:07 AM
After all the years I lived in Virginia, I decided that the snow can be pretty to look at when it first falls (nice place Martyo) but dealing with all the traffic (multiple hour commutes), ice and residue makes me happy that I don't have to deal with that mess anymore. :sunshine: In the almost 10 years here in SW Florida, my longest commute I can remember was like an hour!:P

Ya'll be safe out there! ;) Even 4x4's don't help on the ice! :eek:

Davesvt2000
01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
My brother in Norcross, Ga woke up to 3 inches of snow this morning, he's been outside playing with his dawg, who's never seen snow before.

He has today off from work since he said the city is practically shut down. LOL

rayjay
01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
All ice here in Carolina Forest section of Myrtle Beach, SC. Thankful it turned to sleet from freezing rain before it started taking down power lines. Saying no relief insight until Friday. There is one plow here, at the airport, which is closed. This would be a non event where I came from in the snowbelt of upstate NY. Here my daughter will not have school for 3 days due to about 1" of ice/sleet that they have no way of dealing with. :rolleyes: I would not even consider driving the DTR here in this. They drive bad enough as it is without throwing ice on top of it. I'd get wrecked by someone for sure. :shake:

MOTOWN
01-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Snow not do much the issue in Atlanta. It's the ice. Every worker and school kid hit the roads at the same time - 2pm. Roads were icy and clogged.

Where there is snow, there is ice! kinda like fire and smoke! bottom line is the snow fell at the worst possible time (around noon) and the entire region decided to shut down at the same time.

That being said The state was poorly prepared for 2-3" of snow(and ice)

Glenn
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
You can not even buy a snow shovel in Atlanta let alone an ice brush to brush off the snow on your car. It is even difficult to find an ice scrapper to buy.

Glenn

Motorhead350
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Sorry, but I could not help, but laugh this morning. I heard 3 inches of snow and people sleeping in schools. I'm still laughing. 3 inches here is not even worth putting "dibs" out.

martyo
01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Sorry, but I could not help, but laugh this morning. I heard 3 inches of snow and people sleeping in schools. I'm still laughing. 3 inches here is not even worth putting "dibs" out.

How does it feel to be clueless?

rayjay
01-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Where there is snow, there is ice! kinda like fire and smoke! bottom line is the snow fell at the worst possible time (around noon) and the entire region decided to shut down at the same time.

That being said The state was poorly prepared for 2-3" of snow(and ice)

Yep, when cars compact the snow it turns to ice. If there is a hill, forgetaboutit, can't go up and anybody coming down crashes. All you can do is close the road.

Brent
01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Walked home. It may be Thursday before I can get car home.

David,
Did you get your car home yet? Still freezing in NE Atl area (Lilburn),... But snow gone from road where sun shined on it this afternoon. I hear impound yards are picking up many cars, including those that were left out of the way. My step son got to his home at 2am a slow and ugly commute. Good luck.

Brent
DTR friend of fast

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 06:00 PM

The issue is the ice. Snow I can deal with. Other problem along with ice was the sheer number of cars. No room to move forward or back or to keep a constant speed up a hill. If you got stopped on an incline could not move forward because of no grip and because the guy and 1900 cars behind him are on each other's bumper you could not roll back to level ground and get a good steady restart. Best option I had was to leave car and walk. I did not want to end up sliding down a hill into a pile of cars at the bottom.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 06:03 PM
David,
Did you get your car home yet? Still freezing in NE Atl area (Lilburn),... But snow gone from road where sun shined on it this afternoon. I hear impound yards are picking up many cars, including those that were left out of the way. My step son got to his home at 2am a slow and ugly commute. Good luck.

Brent
DTR friend of fast

Did not get car. Its in an office parking lot and not on street. Will get it in the morning when wife heads to work.

Marauder_Santa
01-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Atlanta's plow. 37323

1stMerc
01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
The issue is the ice. Snow I can deal with. Other problem along with ice was the sheer number of cars. No room to move forward or back or to keep a constant speed up a hill. If you got stopped on an incline could not move forward because of no grip and because the guy and 1900 cars behind him are on each other's bumper you could not roll back to level ground and get a good steady restart. Best option I had was to leave car and walk. I did not want to end up sliding down a hill into a pile of cars at the bottom.

Exactly, once you get stopped among a bunch of other cars, it is nearly impossible to get enough manuevering room.

jerrym3
01-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Late 80's, I was at a conference in Atlanta when an icestorm hit. Our hotel was down to soup and bread for food. All the roads leaving the heart of town were stopped dead.

But, I also had the same issue in Seattle, which has a lot more hills. Freak storm.

Even here in NJ, where we are supposed to "know" how to drive in ice/snow, it seems like the vehicles of choice for sliding, crashing, and flipping over in bad weather are SUVS.

Many people just do not know how to drive in bad weather. They hear "4X4 or front wheel drive" and all caution goes out the window.

I drive my Explorer in bad weather as if it's a car with rear wheel drive and bald tires, slow and cautious. Let the idiots go flying by to get to their destination 3 minutes sooner.

fireandice9008
01-30-2014, 10:47 AM
The snow isn't the problem. The problem is the 1.5" of ice. We got NO snow, every single picture you see from the immediate coastal area of NC (and I would imagine SC), all the white frozen BS isn't snow, every single bit of it is ice. And now the natives are getting restless, and every emergency vehicle in the county hasn't stopped moving since 0600 this morning. It's been a long few days...

Marauder_Santa
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Things in Atlanta getting back to normal. By this weekend it will all be just a great story.

Car picked up with no scares. At car wash now to give her a bath.

Biggest road hazard now are the numerous abandoned cars in side of some side streets. Most have been claimed.

rayjay
01-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Yep, ice city here in Myrtle Beach. Some roads still ice covered. Schools already closed for tomorrow, 4th day. NO snow days so they have to make them up. I am amazed at what would have been no issue what so ever where I used to live has essentially crippled this area for days. Northern cities that are used to snow storms have a staggered release plan so that not everyone is on the road at the same time. The gubbitment certainly did not listen to the weather forcasters in Atlanta. I really don't want to see what would happen if there is ever a real snowstorm here. Main roads here that were allegedly salted still have ice on them, two days later. Upper 20s to low 30s is not cold. Salt and traffic should have easily cleared them by now. :shake:

Oh boy, more freezing rain here in MB...