PDA

View Full Version : Ditched Marauder

Wires
01-28-2014, 07:20 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but I know you guys will understand.

Today, I made a poor choice to take my Marauder to work. The weather gurus said we wouldn't get snow. I was too caviler, and drove off in the Marauder because it was warm in the garage. (I'm in north Georgia. The snow was predicted for Middle Georgia. we weren't supposed to get any.)

The snow hit at about 11:00. My wife and I headed home. The main roads weren't bad, but near my home, they were slick as a luge track. There was a difficult corner - uphill, some banking, and slicker than motor oil on polished steel. I stuffed the Marauder in the ditch. Fortunately, only my pride was hurt.

A great tow truck driver got me out. The roads were so bad, the driver insisted on towing in on the bed to a safe spot. He didn't think I could make it up the hills to my house, about 1/4 mile away. She's safe, in a church parking lot in a safe neighborhood.

I never should have driven it. I have much more capable vehicles for this weather. It is only my pride, but I can't believe I stuffed my car in a ditch.

When the roads thaw, I'll drive her home. KDWS tires are NOT good snow tires. I"m just glad I didn't break anything.

8UWITH6
01-28-2014, 07:24 PM
damage status?

jwibbity
01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Today, I made a poor choice to take my Marauder to work. The weather gurus said we wouldn't get snow. I was too caviler, and drove off in the Marauder because it was warm in the garage. (I'm in north Georgia. The snow was predicted for Middle Georgia. we weren't supposed to get any.)

The snow hit at about 11:00. My wife and I headed home. The main roads weren't bad, but near my home, they were slick as a luge track. There was a difficult corner - uphill, some banking, and slicker than motor oil on polished steel. I stuffed the Marauder in the ditch. Fortunately, only my pride was hurt.

A great tow truck driver got me out. The roads were so bad, the driver insisted on towing in on the bed to a safe spot. He didn't think I could make it up the hills to my house, about 1/4 mile away. She's safe, in a church parking lot in a safe neighborhood.

I never should have driven it. I have much more capable vehicles for this weather. It is only my pride, but I can't believe I stuffed my car in a ditch.

When the roads thaw, I'll drive her home. KDWS tires are NOT good snow tires. I"m just glad I didn't break anything.

glad your ok but if you dont have experience driving in the snow, a 4200lb RWD boat isnt the way to learn

MyTMerc
01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Glad you and your vehicle made it safely home without damage.

Mine is still in the body shop since New Years day on snowy/icy Michigan roads. I'll be waiting until spring to bring it home.

Wires
01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
damage status?

Fortunately, it appears that only my pride is damaged. The Marauder seems to be fine. It was a shallow ditch.

A 4200 pound, rear drive, torquey v8 vehicle is not suited for these conditions, especially with my lack of experience. I'm used to driving light go-karts in slick, nasty mud, but that was a long time ago, and quite different.

Fortunately, it was a few blocks from my house, so I got to wait for the tow truck (they were very busy today in Georgia) in my warm home. I drove to meet the driver in my 4wd vehicle, and it had trouble on that curve as well.

Gryphonzus
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Rear wheel drive vehicles can be a handful on ice. I have had too many harrowing experiences on ice in cars and trucks. Without lots of weight in the rear end and good snow tires I try and stay away from ice. It sounds like you did the best you could do under the circumstances.

Motorhead350
01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Snow tires FTW. Working just fine over here in Chicago.

whitey
01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Snow is a different ball game for sure, but ice is a definite no go for our cars. I hate driving in either, quite frankly it scares me that someone will ram me, not so much of me losing control.

guspech750
01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Glad it all worked out nicely and no one was hurt.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

MOTOWN
01-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Glad your ride is fine, im in GA as well this state with all of the hills, and the fact that most have little to no experience driving in snow made for a very horrible day on the roads, i left Detroit to get away from this stuff!

Bluerauder
01-29-2014, 05:45 AM
I stuffed the Marauder in the ditch. Fortunately, only my pride was hurt.

KDWS tires are NOT good snow tires. I"m just glad I didn't break anything.

Glad that you are OK and nothing damaged except your pride rather than your "Pride & Joy".

Your comment on the KDWS ^^^^ is an understatement. In my experience, the KDWS tread packs with snow in the first 10 feet of your trip and after that you are driving on slicks. The tread is NOT self cleaning like dedicated snow tires or good all season tires.

I have been "trapped" a few times without much warning in my 10 years of ownership just like your case. Fortunately, I was able to baby it home without incident. But it is a nerve-wracking experience on KDWS.

My technique is to feather the accelerator like I have an egg between my foot and the pedal to avoid wheel slip/spin and having the rear end walk away. Slow and easy. Same with braking ... nice and easy. Coast to stops where possible and avoid locking up the front wheels so you can maintain steering control. In such conditions, you are very dependent on the other drivers around you. One abrupt move could send you spinning. After that, physics will determine where you end up. Mix equal parts of skill, control, luck, and nerves for a successful trip.

I hate driving in either, quite frankly it scares me that someone will ram me, not so much of me losing control.

This ^^^^ is my biggest problem too. I feel pretty confident in my own ability to handle the conditions; but there is not much you can do if you are stopped and some dufus comes sliding up behind you at a stop light or sign. Generally it is someone in a 4WD SUV that just learned that he STOPS just like the rest of us mortals and the 4WD just gets him moving better.

WhatsUpDOHC
01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Glad you and the car are OK.
I cringed when I saw the title of this post.

RF Overlord
01-29-2014, 07:47 AM
KDWS tires are NOT good tires, period. Fixed it for you.

CWright
01-29-2014, 08:07 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident. I live in Rome and I'm not sure how far you are from me. We got it bad hear too. The roads stared getting covered as soon as the snow started. I had to go pick up my kids from school and drive the Dodge Charger. I live 2 miles from the school and in the 30 min it took me to leave my house, pick up kids, and get home the roads got very slick. I almost ditched the charger twice. Thankfully my wife had the 4wd and was able to get home from the school since she was 2 hours behind the kids leaving. I hope you get the MM fixed his soon.

tbone
01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I drive my Marauder in the snow every day. You get used to it. You need a good right foot. With the proper tires, it's not a big deal, and they actually handle well once they get going. My new Motivo's are great. Bald BFG's.....not so much.

FW_Linc/Merc
01-29-2014, 10:18 AM
KDWS do suck in the snow/ice. The first year I had mine I got stuck in the fall driving up a shallow hill with only a light snow dusting. I was so embarrassed that I had to back up and take the long way home which had no hills. The next week I bought snow tires. Before I got them mounted I bought another car to drive in the winter. So those snow tires are now on the Town Car and she goes just fine in the snow especially with the traction control. It is also nice not having to drive the Marauder in the winter anymore!

BigM460
01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
I left mine at work! 19 miles home on those roads with several large grades, was an easy decision. Only have liability insurance on it. Was fun getting back to the shop in a 32000lbs rolloff truck. Roads went bad in 30 minutes time.:confused: Crazy! I really enjoyed it all though. Was a fun adventurous day! :)

JBeezy
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I almost drove mine to work. I didn't look at the news/weather. I work approx 70 miles from home. Glad I didn't. It took me 4 hours to get home, but I also enjoyed the adventure. The Acura performed well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

sflrainmaker01
01-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Glad all is well! This reminds me of the day I made a bad decision to drive my almost perfect 1968 big block Galaxie XL to work on a nice spring day instead of my regular DD. Got to work fine and parked it . 3 mins later (before I even sat at my desk) a freak gust of wind came and blew a tree over on it. Crushed the entire roof to the seats! :mad2: Car totaled. No one got hurt, but you gotta hate those kind of bad decisions. :rolleyes:

Baaad GN
01-30-2014, 09:11 AM
I drove the entire Midwest in storms, bliazzards you name it, I learned a long time ago from some truck trivers that when driving on a slick road that look's clean is sometimes bad but if you have snow on eighter side of your car and it feel's like your losing it it's best to get at least two wheels in the snow and you'd be surprized you have more control. For those who can try this would be a good time to try and see the difference. Now if your running high speed you have to slwo down before you hit the snow, not 60-70 Mph. Defensive driving schools teach this also and many LEO's
know what I'm talking about. Even up north I worry more about the other people like 4 wheeler's who beleave than go through anything. Ice is bad, snow is good!

BigM460
01-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I left mine at work! 19 miles home on those roads with several large grades, was an easy decision. Only have liability insurance on it. Was fun getting back to the shop in a 32000lbs rolloff truck. Roads went bad in 30 minutes time.:confused: Crazy! I really enjoyed it all though. Was a fun adventurous day! :)

pic from this morning.