PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with race car or show car registration?

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Please message me how you got this.

Miles per year, does insurance have to be notified, change of plate?

For those who want to say "You can't pass the emissions with your junk on wheels yet? Can't find a friend with a PC?" Bottom like is yes to both. All of my "friends" have Macs, we need them for what we do over PCs. I am still having problems with emissions even when I was about to get the tuner to upload.

The only thing I can think of doing is to get another tune, get a receipt (or else they will NOT test you as I discovered today) and pass.

The fastest solution seems to be going to the DMV tomorrow and telling them it's a "show" car.

I am out of ideas.

Laugh it up.

FastMerc
01-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Why is the car failing?

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Why is the car failing?

Because it's more fun this way.

You have a PM with details BTW.

MMBLUE
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Dom. I would just separated the exhaust some how ( after the muffler so not to make noticeable noise) so a minimal amount of fumes are expelling out the back when they stick the probe in the pipe.

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Fumes have nothing to do with it. It's all a computer plug in over here.

RacerX
01-30-2014, 06:10 PM
What are they saying is failing?

RubberCtyRauder
01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Every state is different. Look at IL dmv website about show cars collector etc. but most places such as WI I'm pretty sure make you not drive it one month a year for instance. and your insurance co may not cover anything if accident happens and it was not in the parameters of registration. Libraries have windows based PC and so do colleges and have open labs and such. Register it in FL at your moms house. But that may eventually backfire when the locals keep seeing the car with FL tags. Cars are to be registered where they are kept is most areas rules.

justbob
01-30-2014, 07:59 PM
What are they saying is failing?

Last I knew, all monitors turned off.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

guspech750
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
This is the paper work Arthur filled out for his supercharged Crown Vic Sport. He posted this on TCG forum. I recall him saying he had to submit a picture of his car at the track too.

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

And he was approved and good to go.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Yup. Its all about monitors here. MONITORS.

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 08:48 PM
This is the paper work Arthur filled out for his supercharged Crown Vic Sport. He posted this on TCG forum. I recall him saying he had to submit a picture of his car at the track too.

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

And he was approved and good to go.

Upon reading this it means if its a show car, I can only drive it to and from shows. If its a race insurance is void.

ajdereicup
01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
I think it depends on insurance companies and if they find out about it. I've been looking into it after justbob mentioned something like that about me and I've found mixed answers nothing definitive. One of the things I heard was that if you get the affidavit they just make it so it's ok to renew your plates in the system as opposed to it popping up saying you can't renew due to not having passed emissions. That there's not specific thing that when you do it that says it's a race car or anything like that in the DMV's system so no one will know besides the EPA and people you tell. It won't show up for the police or anything like that. That was the most in depth descriptive explanation I've heard about it as opposed to most which just say my insurance says no or my insurance says they don't care or it says on the form you can't or can. But that's all online so who knows. Maybe anonymously shoot your insurance a call and ask them about what they say about a race car affidavit?

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Last time I notified my insurance about anything, they threatened to take it away unless I proved I wasn't a higher liability. Even when I was picking up food for my dads restaurant, they wanted proof I no longer "used the car for work".

It was a mess. The Insurance company is the last group I would tell. Heck, I'd ask the police what to do before I'd ask them. Seriously.

ajdereicup
01-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Lol that's why I said anonymously. That might be an idea with the police. But them being run by the government might kind of lean towards the EPA side.

But I mean I don't think the EPA can tell your insurance company that they can't insure you because of the type of car you have. I mean how many race cars do you see out at car shows and at the drag strip that drove there? I'm guessing not all of them have special insurance. Hell when I have my Mustang on the streets I have regular bare bones insurance on it. They know nothing about the car besides the basic facts not even the engine size. And it's not meant for the street at all.

When I was looking for ways to get around the emissions testing when I failed is when I came upon that method. And it was from people who were doing it themselves the same way to be able to have cars on the street that weren't ok with the EPA. So people do do it but I'm sure just not as much as they could due to the fact that it wasn't as hard for us Ford lovers to get past the emissions testing as it is now. Now I have a feeling either a lot of Ford race cars going up for sale (and the other brands that can't fake the sensors like the Chebbys) OR a lot more people are going to be looking into other methods, such as this, to get around it to keep their pride and joys.

This just happens to be the cheapest, easiest, least headache way of doing it for now. Until they catch on and shut it down possibly

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Lol that's why I said anonymously. That might be an idea with the police. But them being run by the government might kind of lean towards the EPA side.

Honestly, the police seem to be more than happy on telling me how to beat or get around the "system" than the EPA is on telling me how to go about things properly. Being the police work for "the system", I am sure they have more anger towards it than me. A lot are gearheads too. For this part of "getting by" most police are ALL for it. It's funny how that works.

I cannot do something like that under the radar. I don't mess with insurance. I've had enough accidents from other people and cars being stolen. I might drive to Texas and Los Angeles very soon. If something went wrong out there and my registration was limited to miles, I would be screwed.

ajdereicup
01-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah I hear ya. I hope you get it figured out one way or another to pass the emissions or however you need to do it.

Motorhead350
01-30-2014, 11:46 PM
I wish the EPA would F-off.

Who are they to say what I can and cannot do to my own car?

We should do the same to them. "Your car CANNOT be stock. Headers and high flow cats. Two years later you must install 39 pound injectors."

In a perfect world, we could turn the tables.

ajdereicup
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
Yeah. They want to regulate it like everything like it's a bad thing people enjoy cars and modifying them. I'd much rather prefer kids got into cars and modifying them as opposed to doing drugs or joining gangs but if the EPA and other groups keep trying to make the regulations and laws more strict then that won't allow them to. That's an extreme case but still. Put automotive classes back into high schools and back off of car people a little. At least around here for the most part they don't really bother you for modifications idk how strict they are in the city

Motorhead350
01-31-2014, 12:51 AM
The EPA is a state thing, city is another. The police never give me trouble for a loud exhaust.

The police in this city are pretty cool. Go to Westmont and they write you up for a tinted plate. Here you can do donuts in a parking lot, do a burnout, have an unauthorized speeding contest.... whatever. They let you go. Or at least me. The police are on our side when it comes to these things and car culture for that matter. Or maybe they just like me. Who knows?

ajdereicup
01-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Very cool. I know Arlington Heights is notorious for pulling everything and anything over. And Lombard police will stop people if they're doing anything too wild at the cruise night but for the most part let you be. It's nice

J-MAN
01-31-2014, 04:06 AM
Why not move to a state that doesn't require testing? What's keeping you in Illinois, job/career?

guspech750
01-31-2014, 04:12 AM
Why not move to a state that doesn't require testing? What's keeping you in Illinois, job/career?

Illinois really sucks. And I enjoy sucky things. That's what keeps me here. :)

Wags
01-31-2014, 05:12 AM
Dom,

I'm not a "mac" guy but have you looked into anything like this?

How do I run Windows or Windows programs on my Mac?

On a Mac computer, you can install software that allows you to run Windows and Windows applications. The specific software depends on what kind of Mac you have.
Intel-based Macs

Because newer Macs use Intel processors, they can run Windows and Windows applications as quickly as PCs. Several different methods are available for running Windows on Intel Macs:

To dual-boot between OS X and Windows, use Apple's Boot Camp. This approach provides the most compatibility with Windows software and peripherals, but does not allow you to run Windows and Mac OS X applications at the same time.

To run Windows in a virtual machine within OS X, use Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox. This method will allow you to run Mac and Windows applications concurrently, though the virtual machine does not support as much Windows functionality as a dual-boot configuration.

To run Windows programs without having to install Windows itself, use a Windows compatibility layer, such as CrossOver Mac. This option typically offers good functionality for a limited set of Windows applications.

I asked some guys here at work and they say that you can run just about anything for a pc on a mac nowadays. If you can't figure it out, let me know the particular program you are trying to run on the mac.

Wags

Motorhead350
01-31-2014, 05:18 AM

http://youtu.be/QQM00K24qG8

Dom,

I'm not a "mac" guy but have you looked into anything like this?

How do I run Windows or Windows programs on my Mac?

On a Mac computer, you can install software that allows you to run Windows and Windows applications. The specific software depends on what kind of Mac you have.
Intel-based Macs

Because newer Macs use Intel processors, they can run Windows and Windows applications as quickly as PCs. Several different methods are available for running Windows on Intel Macs:

To dual-boot between OS X and Windows, use Apple's Boot Camp. This approach provides the most compatibility with Windows software and peripherals, but does not allow you to run Windows and Mac OS X applications at the same time.

To run Windows in a virtual machine within OS X, use Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox. This method will allow you to run Mac and Windows applications concurrently, though the virtual machine does not support as much Windows functionality as a dual-boot configuration.

To run Windows programs without having to install Windows itself, use a Windows compatibility layer, such as CrossOver Mac. This option typically offers good functionality for a limited set of Windows applications.

I asked some guys here at work and they say that you can run just about anything for a pc on a mac nowadays. If you can't figure it out, let me know the particular program you are trying to run on the mac.

Wags

Wow thanks!

Yes I might need your help. I will know by the end of the weekend.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-31-2014, 08:11 AM
+1 on the parallels. Works incredibly well on Mac hardware.

Dom, what is the fault code they are giving you when it fails?

When I had a check engine light they gave me the same code I had previously checked on my xcal. In my case it was faulty engine warm up time on my daily- bad thermostat. Fixed it, went there with the paperwork they gave me which asked who or when you repaired it and how much. They didn't even look or take my receipt for the $12 autozone part.

Also, it can't just be because the car has non-stock tune, I've had my MM tested just fine with the Z man's tune for years.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Illinois really sucks. And I enjoy sucky things. That's what keeps me here. :)

Joe, this state really blows hard. I can't wait for the day I move down south.

martyo
01-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Dom, just learn to conform rather than skirt.

RF Overlord
01-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Dom, what is the fault code they are giving you when it fails?He said it was for having all the I/M monitors turned off.

I can't speak for IL, but in MA having one turned off is treated the same as having it "Not Ready". In MA, we can have one monitor "Not Ready" and still pass, as long as it isn't the catalyst monitor. Two (or more) monitors "Not Ready" is an automatic fail.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-31-2014, 08:22 AM
He said it was for having all the I/M monitors turned off.

I can't speak for IL, but in MA having one turned off is treated the same as having it "Not Ready". In MA, we can have one monitor "Not Ready" and still pass, as long as it isn't the catalyst monitor. Two (or more) monitors "Not Ready" is an automatic fail.

Ohh, didn't know what that meant earlier in the thread.

Bigdogjim
01-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Dom, just learn to conform rather than skirt.

That would be to easy:P

Motorhead350
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Wags, looks like I might need your help.

ajdereicup
01-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Wait you need a windows computer or a mac one? I have windows but no tuning programs? No Macs though

Motorhead350
01-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Whatever can upload a tune. As long as the software is good, that's all that matters.

I got another one week extension for this EPA madness.

Baaad GN
01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Dom the EPA is a Federal agency and has nothing to do with the state. I think you can go the race car thing. Buy the time you keep screwing around I think you stilll have to spend a buc or continue with these problems.

ajdereicup
01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
If you need a windows and are going to be in the area let me know you can use my computer. But like I said idk if you need to pay for the program to tune it or whatever your looking for the with computer thing. And then IDK about the whole receipt part maybe go to a shop you know or something for one?

Motorhead350
01-31-2014, 05:28 PM
I have been spending $$$. This is not "Dom, you being cheap is not getting you anywhere. Fix your boat anchor and quit crying."

I have spent $$$ to get this right and it's still not good enough.