PDA

View Full Version : GM LSE..close enough?

bossharp
02-02-2014, 10:35 PM
I am going to buy a 2003 or a 2005 lse really soon. .My budget is not big enough for a Marauder (5 to 6 grand) but I'm hoping to find something really nice. .Here in Florida you have a better chance of getting a decent GM with low miles but I have only seen a very few for sale at any price. .What usually happens is the add says lse but when you look at the pic's. .it seats 6. What I wanted to ask is what kind of problems should I expect? MSN says that the 2003 has many more problems with the motor and other issues than the 2005.Is that true? In the real world? After reading about all the problems and how expensive it is to fix them I figured it was much better to find a really low mileage one owner example . What advice would yall have when checking one out ? All advice appreciated! Glad to be back on the forum.

clmrt
02-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Almost any car made will have an issue now and then, but the chronic things here seem to be the blend door, EATC module, axles and timing chain guides. You might be able to find better info at crownvic.net.

The blend door actuator is a $15 part buried beneath the dash which has to come all the way out, I think.

The EATC module is repairable by several members here for far less than a new one and is user replaceable in an hour or less.

Here's what I found on axles and timing chain guides.

My advice? Buy the nicest one you can find and just deal with the issues. If you're handy, nothing is impossible.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218169&fpart=1

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2189632

TP Derrick D
02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91608

saw this and it looks nice & clean but what year do the GM/Crown Vic's start to share fitment with parts such as headlights, grills and wheels? I like the Marauder headlights 100% more than the chrome GM/crown Vic ones so I'm sure I'd change them out same as the grill & wheels to either Marauder or 18" Mustang and the '99-'00 GM backup panel gotta go along with taillights that has chrome. But I talked to a guy last summer that said he had a GM and tried to put MM wheels on it and they didn't fit. Don't know what year he has. The headlights on this car look smaller than MM.

MERCURY 2003LSE
02-03-2014, 07:17 PM
I got a LSE 2003 Grand Marquis i found while looking for a Marauder.
Nice car you will like them , it is like half a Marauder .
:beer:

tonyshelton
02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Come on now! Can we at least get 3/4????

clmrt
02-04-2014, 05:56 AM
0.791390 as far as stock HP is concerned.

Plus no cylinder 8 to fry, three thread head issue, rare parts to worry about, cheaper to swap cams and heads, and even more rare but not obviously so.

If I had an LSE I'd probably drive it the snow, too. I could sell my winter beater and buy a cheeseburger or something.

fastblackmerc
02-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Come on now! Can we at least get 3/4????

Nope! Only half!

tonyshelton
02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Nope! Only half!

Man, you guys are rough!

I am going to put a million miles on this thing and watch it depreciate.

Na na na na naaaaah nah.

Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

gdmjoe
02-04-2014, 07:45 AM
TP Derrick D ... what year do the GM/Crown Vic's start to share fitment with parts such as headlights, grills and wheels?
headlights - Never. *unless you also install the header panel, wiring harness, grille, and front bumper fascia.

grille - Never. *with same cavet as above.

wheels - 2003+

...wheels to either Marauder or 18" Mustang ...
The 18+" Mustang rims need to be 2005+

...and the '99-'00 GM backup panel gotta go along with taillights that has chrome.
1998+ P71s have the trunk panel with the black (rather than chrome) trim as do the 2003-2008 black Crown Victoria LX sports, HOWEVER ... None of those can be plug-and-played onto a Grand Marquis. UNLESS ... you also install the Crown Victoria rear bumper fascia.

... had a GM and tried to put MM wheels on it and they didn't fit. Don't know what year he has.
Marauder rims will fit the Grand Marquis of most any year (have a pic' on a 1980's with Marauder rims), HOWEVER, ... 1½" hubcentric wheel adapters are necessary.

RF Overlord
02-04-2014, 07:46 AM
what year do the GM/Crown Vic's start to share fitment with parts such as headlights, grills and wheels?

guy last summer that said he had a GM and tried to put MM wheels on it and they didn't fit. Don't know what year he has. Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' do not share headlights or grilles ever. Even though they look similar, they are not interchangeable without replacing the header panel.

As far as wheels, everything from '92 to '02 is the same and everything from '03 up is the same, but the offsets are different between the two groups.

*EDIT* Heh, looks like Joe and I had the same idea at the same time...

RF Overlord
02-04-2014, 07:52 AM
1998+ P71s have the trunk panel with the black (rather than chrome) trim as do the 2003-2008 black Crown Victoria LX sports, HOWEVER ... None of those can be plug-and-played onto a Grand Marquis. UNLESS ... you also install the Crown Victoria rear bumper fascia.
I installed a 2000 CVPI rear fascia on my 2000 MGM and it fits fine, other than the gap at the bottom of the license plate area. I sprayed that gap area with black Plasti-Dip and it's unnoticeable unless you know what you're looking for.

Note: my intent was NOT to make my car look like a P71, it's just that I hated the giant red reflecto-billboard and the chrome strip. It's much cleaner with the PI fascia and the back-up lights are larger, too, which is an added bonus.

gdmjoe
02-04-2014, 08:18 AM
bossharp ... MSN says that the 2003 has many more problems with the motor and other issues than the 2005.Is that true? In the real world? After reading about all the problems and how expensive it is to fix them I figured it was much better to find a really low mileage one owner example . What advice would yall have when checking one out ? All advice appreciated!
2003 issues
Engine timing chain guides $$$$$ - EARLY build may (?) experience the problem with prematurely worn guides, however, not usually. The problem manifests itself mostly with P71s (police) that have LONG idle times. I don't know of any mid-year+ builds that experience the issue.

Diagnostics: nylon flakes/particals in the drain oil.
clatter from the timing chains cover.
Differential axle shafts $$ - Issue was that the supplier inadequitely hardened the race where the bearing is seated on the axle. Most 2003s experience it or will experience it. Shows-up early if there's a LOT of highway driving and or towing.

Diagnostics: metal shavings in the differential fluid.
grinding noise from the axle hub. *Early stages can be detected with the vehicle running on a rack with the wheel spinning and using a stethoscope on the brake backing plates.
Interior EATC $ - Vaccum leaks from faulty seals cause the blend door to not function properly.

Diagnostics: 1st indication usually is that air only comes-out of the windshield defroster vents.
Run the self diagnostics of the EATC2005 issues
Exterior Cosmetics $$$ - Godawful, ugly antenna on the RH rear quarter panel. :D
Miscellaneous Other - Have not hear of many, if any, issues.

gdmjoe
02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
RF Overlord - I installed a 2000 CVPI rear fascia on my 2000 MGM and it fits fine, other than the gap at the bottom of the license plate area. I sprayed that gap area with black Plasti-Dip and it's unnoticeable unless you know what you're looking for.
OH SURE ... ANYTHING'S possible if you wanta go rube. :D

Betcha even a trunk panel from a 1980s ricer would/could be used if ya didn't care about looks. :D

Rattle-can that thar Grand Marquis LSE! http://www.gdmjoe.com/evil.gif

RF Overlord
02-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Jeez, it isn't THAT bad, Joe... ;)

I just sprayed the upright part of the gap, not the entire depression in the bumper cover, so you can't see the silver body-colour in the gap. It honestly doesn't look mullet at all...

TP Derrick D
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
headlights - Never. *unless you also install the header panel, wiring harness, grille, and front bumper fascia.

grille - Never. *with same cavet as above.

wheels - 2003+

The 18+" Mustang rims need to be 2005+

Marauder rims will fit the Grand Marquis of most any year (have a pic' on a 1980's with Marauder rims), HOWEVER, ... 1½" hubcentric wheel adapters are necessary.

Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' do not share headlights or grilles ever. Even though they look similar, they are not interchangeable without replacing the header panel.

As far as wheels, everything from '92 to '02 is the same and everything from '03 up is the same, but the offsets are different between the two groups.

*EDIT* Heh, looks like Joe and I had the same idea at the same time...
Well thanks for the info gentlemen. Was asking because I still have parts (engine, tranny & driveshaft ,seats, console , wheels, tail lights, speedo cluster and little more left from my total MM that didn't sell and thought about finding a non-spot lighted CV or a GM and change it all out. What's the header panel? I may know it by something else. man, I always thought it was simple as having the right year and interchange the part. Seems like a lot to make it "look" like the real thing. Probably less costly to buy a real Marauder by time you buy all parts necessary to make change unless you already have donor car. There are some nice looking MM clones, well on the outside I found while looking for a cheap CV
http://images.craigslist.org/00000_aFbxW26AnED_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00d0d_lCRxs1cl8bW_600x450.jpg

The white one has the complete MM front fascia & headlights but can't see the rear even has exhaust & the trunk spoiler. The wheels gotta go. Don't know about interior.
The black one got the rear fascia, exhaust and trunk spoiler along with wheels not sure about front but interior is brown cloth. These cars got a lot of it done seems like. I didn't mean to jack the thread but it went hand in hand with what I need to know. I wanted to put these parts to use or try selling them again because they taking space at performance shop I use.

bossharp
02-10-2014, 11:15 PM
I put 6, 500.00 on the console lid on a one owner 2003 that really was the cleanest I have ever seen. .I was turned down. .Silver/grey. .It was bland with no real pop when I seen it . I'm glad now he turned it down. I am going to look at a 2005 red lse that needs love that's much cheaper. If it's not to rough I'll go ahead and buy it and bring it back. I'm getting out of a 2006 SRT 10 quad cab to this or one like it. Has anyone here seen a GM that has monochromatic paint? I like the look of CV sport and if I have to paint I will consider that too. .

bossharp
02-20-2014, 06:04 PM
I got even closer!! This morning I brought home a 2005 CV Lx sport! Its midnight grey dark charcoal with I think every option you could have got.$34,060.00 msrp roof,6cd,side bags AND glass, trunk org.,heated rear mirrors, traction control,and maybe 1or2 other options..112k 2owner for $5,500.00 out the door TTT inc.It showed up on CL for 4 hours.It does have a airbag light blinking but overall a very clean car.Crack in the right rear bumper cover and 1cracked turn single lens. are the only body flaws. I think I have rode 900-1000 miles in Florida in the last 2 weeks looking at lesser TC and GM to find this rare Crown Vic...

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Save a bit more and get a Marauder. They can be had cheap with higher mileage and should still have tons of life left in them.

BAD MERC
02-20-2014, 06:59 PM
My dad always told me if I took all the money I spent trying to make cars cool, I could buy a cool car. So after my REAL 1995 Taurus SHO, I bought a REAL 2004 Marauder. Sold that 2 years ago and bought a REAL 2008 Dodge Viper convertible. However - my Marauder is coming home, I have arranged to buy her back.

tonyshelton
02-22-2014, 06:37 PM
My dad always told me if I took all the money I spent trying to make cars cool, I could buy a cool car. So after my REAL 1995 Taurus SHO, I bought a REAL 2004 Marauder. Sold that 2 years ago and bought a REAL 2008 Dodge Viper convertible. However - my Marauder is coming home, I have arranged to buy her back.

I am in Texas right now having just driven comfortably from Vegas to Houston with three passengers. I will be in New Jersey next month. For the past three years I have driven in almost every state. All in a panther. Running miles up in comfort.

It would be more than stupid for me to buy a Marauder and drive it into the ground like that.

The only thing dumber than that would be to assume that everyone who likes the panther platform along with Marauder styling is some kind of cheapskate copycat.

If one wants a car that may increase in value with limited use, then the Marauder is the way to go. But if one wants the Marauder interior or the Marauder looks there are plenty of options that don't involve ruining a potential collector car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

MERCURY 2003LSE
02-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I say there all REAL cars buy what speaks to your heart and pocket book.

:beer:

bossharp
02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
I like the fact that it has a every option you could get.I have about 14 hours now in cleaning and detailing and am only a third thru it. At first glance it was fairly clean but I have high standards.. I like them as close to new as I can get it and I think this one will come back 95%.I spent 2 hours on the inside of the doors and there not ready for clay bar yet.I did decid on tires tho I'm going with 255-50-17 Nittos 555.I did have a issue with the leather seats.I first wiped them with plain water then with cleaner and then with conditioner. I wondered why they did not become softer. But in reading the manual I found they are coated with something that the products I used did not have much effect on.I'm thinking I will have to just get the Ford cleaner..

MERCURY 2003LSE
02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I like the fact that it has a every option you could get.I have about 14 hours now in cleaning and detailing and am only a third thru it. At first glance it was fairly clean but I have high standards.. I like them as close to new as I can get it and I think this one will come back 95%.I spent 2 hours on the inside of the doors and there not ready for clay bar yet.I did decid on tires tho I'm going with 255-50-17 Nittos 555.I did have a issue with the leather seats.I first wiped them with plain water then with cleaner and then with conditioner. I wondered why they did not become softer. But in reading the manual I found they are coated with something that the products I used did not have much effect on.I'm thinking I will have to just get the Ford cleaner..

Sounds nice post a pic or two :beer:

1Marauder
03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Jeez, it isn't THAT bad, Joe... ;)

It honestly doesn't look mullet at all...

LMAO of a plane--seriously, I am going to use this line until I die.

11 people are looking at me funny--my eyes are watering... its hard to breath.

1Marauder
03-01-2014, 09:04 AM
OK --as long as it doesn't look mullet!

bossharp
03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I hope that someone might have information on what my car could be. ..The story is that 7 identical lx sports were ordered for the largest dealers to show all the options you could get on the crown vic .All were dark charcoal midnight grey.MSRP is 34,060.00 and were called program cars and the dealer I bought mine from called it a'brass hat' vic.He said the big dealerships got them super cheep as a perk to use then sell.A nice enthusiasts in California told me that he has 1 of the 7 and mine is the 2nd to surface..And the owner of his was the dealership owner who liked the car so much he kept it for a long time even tho he is a famous collector and could drive his pick of rare collectable fords. If this is true the story has to have been known and repeated. My car had all kinds of warranty service like flushing the power steering and tranny and brakes with no charge 'warranty' all at 31k in 2006 at a dealership.It is remarkably clean underneath. Has anyone ever heard of these special Sports? They DO have every option..even 34.00 heated rear mirrors! I love mine and so far heard of one other sport all optioned..The first of the 7.. I would sure love to find the truth of these rare all option vics.No matter what it is or from it is a odd find to find ANY cv with everysingle option..Help me find the true story of the best coolist vic in my yard!

fastblackmerc
03-15-2014, 06:00 AM
I hope that someone might have information on what my car could be. ..The story is that 7 identical lx sports were ordered for the largest dealers to show all the options you could get on the crown vic .All were dark charcoal midnight grey.MSRP is 34,060.00 and were called program cars and the dealer I bought mine from called it a'brass hat' vic.He said the big dealerships got them super cheep as a perk to use then sell.A nice enthusiasts in California told me that he has 1 of the 7 and mine is the 2nd to surface..And the owner of his was the dealership owner who liked the car so much he kept it for a long time even tho he is a famous collector and could drive his pick of rare collectable fords. If this is true the story has to have been known and repeated. My car had all kinds of warranty service like flushing the power steering and tranny and brakes with no charge 'warranty' all at 31k in 2006 at a dealership.It is remarkably clean underneath. Has anyone ever heard of these special Sports? They DO have every option..even 34.00 heated rear mirrors! I love mine and so far heard of one other sport all optioned..The first of the 7.. I would sure love to find the truth of these rare all option vics.No matter what it is or from it is a odd find to find ANY cv with everysingle option..Help me find the true story of the best coolist vic in my yard!
Try posting this on cv.net

bossharp
03-15-2014, 10:51 PM
I found that site when I first started looking for a panther ...After a trying 3 times I finally completed the process. .When I tried to post I got a message that my application is pending and it has stayed that way for many weeks lol! It is a great resource but till I get approval I cannot post . More and more my Crown Vic has become my favorite car of all time. It is comfortable quick classy and safe! I see now why they are so popular with all kinds of drivers. I was admiring it tonite and deciding on a few mods with my son when I told him that there was not a whole lot that needed upgrading. .Richard laughed and said get a a Marauder! It is a very striking car with a lot of eye appeal. .I love the color combo....