PDA

View Full Version : Any welders in here?

loud2004marquis
02-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Was wondering if anyone here knows how to weld?

If so, how did you get into it?

Classes/self-taught or did someone show you?

myrodr
02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I took classes back when high schools had industrial arts. some self learning some on the job!I can gas weld, stick,mig,and tig dont know it all just enough to get in trouble.

Blown3.8
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Bought a welder and started practicing. Also welding tips and tricks on you tube is great!

fastblackmerc
02-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Local community college / trade school should have some classes.

ajdereicup
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
I learned the basics from this older guy. He told me what to do what to listen for etc and watched me for about half an hour. Then let me practice on my own. I'm not perfect at it but I can do pretty good with a quality welder. My HF welder can't get through crap and spits and sputters but it does what I need it to do.

massacre
02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
I took 4 years of welding in HS back in the 80s. Been welding ever since.

cj7chris
02-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Bought a welder and started practicing. Also welding tips and tricks on you tube is great!

Did this (bought a MIG). Videos help alot with what to do, what proper (and improper) welds look like. Have heard classes are good, but no experience.

What do you want to weld?

justbob
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
All thru H.S. Every class offered. Short class in college, and off and on throughout my 5 year Plumbing apprenticeship.

Certs only last six months each, too hard to keep current. Only plus side is I can take any class now for free through my union, or simply re up my certs.

Other than that I found it easier to commit by going all out on nice equipment and skipping the cheap inconsistent crap. You will NEVER be good with cheap equipment. Practice practice..

Next purchase here is a nice TIG set up. Already test drove me a nice Miller. LOVED it and caught on in just minutes.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

lji372
02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Mig/tig?

I know a guy. What are you looking t do
Hobby, job?

1stMerc
02-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Took class when in college many many moons ago. Mostly arc/stick welding which was prevailing style at the time. Lost that touch from lack of practice. Now also have a mig, but do enoughto warrant getting the tig setup. Not perfect, but i can join two metals. Books and Youtube are your friends and practice practice practice.

loud2004marquis
02-07-2014, 03:45 AM
Just looking to get into it myself. Always wanted to learn how to do it, figured now is the time. No particular project planned. A guy at work showed me the basics yesterday at work and it seems like fun!

lji372
02-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Just looking to get into it myself. Always wanted to learn how to do it, figured now is the time. No particular project planned. A guy at work showed me the basics yesterday at work and it seems like fun!

Well heck that's all you need. Some pointers and a lot of practice.
I have a mig and tig at the shop if you want to play.
I personally have not welded since high school.

Joe Walsh
02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
I too, wanted to learn welding, so I signed up for a class at the local College/Tech training center.
Learned to stick weld pretty good because that's what we spent most of our time practicing.
Mig welding was fairly easy....never got to Tig weld.
The instructor could Tig weld like it was nothing and even showed us how to weld thick cast iron!
Was going to buy a portable Mig welder and even ran the 6 gauge wire, 50 amp breaker and special outlet to the garage....but never had any big projects that required it....:(
Still have my 'old school' helmet....:2thumbs:

massacre
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I still have my HS helmet as well, still use it from time to time

JBFTech
02-07-2014, 08:27 AM
I took every metal/welding class offered in HS, learned stick and MIG on several types of metal and positions, all the different welds, etc. Learned how to properly cut with a torch, braze/weld with a torch, and learned how to a lot of cool **** with a plasma cutter. Built a lot of cool things back then, including my huge BBQ pit built from scratch. I heard that they don't even offer those classes anymore where I went to HS, which is sad. I learned a very fun hobby and a damn good trade skill, granted I didn't follow that path as a career, I still have those skills and that knowledge, so I could still take that path anytime I choose. I have a nice MIG welder of my own and an oxy/act torch that I use fairly regularly for repairs and just to play with stuff. I say it's well worth learning if you are interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Gryphonzus
02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I went to half day classes during my Senior year of High School. Learned gas, arc, heli-arc, and Mig welding. We even built most of the welding tables for the class room since the school just opened. Learned a lot and unfortunately have forgotten quite a bit since then. I do have a nice arc welder I use now.

kilm70
02-07-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm a welder/fabricator for my local utility, I have 8 certs. Sometimes you can find classes through the unemployment department. Here in San Diego we have some of those classes, I know it may sound lame but the instructors that state pays to teach those classes are top notch. Maybe look around in your town for these types of classes, or even community college. You can bet any state or Fed funded training they will want to employee the best instructors available. I'm open to helping folks over the phone, just PM me to get my number.

fireandice9008
02-08-2014, 05:13 AM
I took mine my senior year of HS. Went to school for half a day, then went to the CC for welding. We covered tig, mig, stick, and cutting processes, as well as things like proof tests and such. It was honestly an awesome class, that's when I found out i'm flat out surgical with a oxy-acetylene torch. Haven't welded much since then but I do cut on a somewhat regular basis. Once of these days i'm going to get me a nice diesel generator/welder combo.