PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have experience with a wood burning fireplace insert

JBeezy
02-16-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm in the market for one since I'm tired of paying high power bills in the winter. I have a fireplace but it has been siliconed shut at the flute(sp). I want to make this functional by next year. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey
02-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Im assuming your going to put a gas burning fire place insert in? How far away is it closed off above it? Be careful that it wouldn't catch fire from all the heat rising. Also, dont expect miracles with them, i bought a electric fireplace media mantle back in October, 1500 btu's and it has a hard time keeping the living room warm, 16'x18' space.

gdsqdcr
02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
I have a wood burning insert. With good wood, Madrone, oak etc, it will easily keep the downstairs warm. I buy a cord and half every year (~400) and my average gas/electric is around 120 in the winter.

JBeezy
02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
I have a wood burning insert. With good wood, Madrone, oak etc, it will easily keep the downstairs warm. I buy a cord and half every year (~400) and my average gas/electric is around 120 in the winter.

Did you install it yourself or was it already there? Any pics. I want to do this. Sooner than later

JBeezy
02-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Im assuming your going to put a gas burning fire place insert in? How far away is it closed off above it? Be careful that it wouldn't catch fire from all the heat rising. Also, dont expect miracles with them, i bought a electric fireplace media mantle back in October, 1500 btu's and it has a hard time keeping the living room warm, 16'x18' space.

I'm looking to get a wood burning insert

gdsqdcr
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Did you install it yourself or was it already there? Any pics. I want to do this. Sooner than later

It came with the house, so it was installed by the previous owner. I can snap a picture and send it your way. Ours has a fan, a little noisy but also 25 years old) but it is good at pushing the heat around the house.