PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my new PC

IwantmyMMnow!
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
At the beginning of last week, I bought a new PC tower. It is a Lenovo with Windows 8 O/S. It's been working great, but I ran into a snag last night that I can't seem to resolve. I have a HP 825c deskjet printer, and apparently HP printers are no longer supported in Windows 8...so they say.

I went on a google hunt and found several websites that had workarounds to solve the issue, but everything I have tried has not worked. I did make some sort of progress, as at first I would simply get an error message saying "document failed to print'. Now I get an error message that says "document did not print because no pages were selected", which is weird because I had selected the "All" radio button.

I changed the printer port location from LPT1 to Virtual printer port for USB, but still no luck.

If anyone knows how I can get my 'ancient' HP printer to work on my new PC, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to have to run out and buy a new printer (which I think is BS...we're not forced to buy a new car or a new appliance every 3-5 years), especially since I just bought new toner cartridges for it 2 months ago.

RacerX
02-21-2014, 12:31 PM
:eek: That printer came out in what, 2000??? Save yourself the effort and get something new. It'll be faster and compatible in the end. Sometimes you have to get rid of the horse and carriage when you want to keep up with the rest of the world. I know you don't like it, but, technology changes VERY fast and that printer is in the STONEAGE! Period!

P.S. I really don't mean to rile you or insult, but, you can get a printer that blows the doors off that one for $50. If you got a new system with W8 on it, that's a very minimal investment to be happy.

IwantmyMMnow!
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
:eek: That printer came out in what, 2000??? Save yourself the effort and get something new. It'll be faster and compatible in the end. Sometimes you have to get rid of the horse and carriage when you want to keep up with the rest of the world. I know you don't like it, but, technology changes VERY fast and that printer is in the STONEAGE! Period!

I see your point, but....my MM is almost as old as my printer...so I guess I need to buy a new car, too. So what if the printer is ancient...it still worked until I got a new PC, so why should I be forced to get rid of it and spend money on a new one? I don't have to have the latest and greatest printer; I already have one that works and meets my needs....

RacerX
02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
I've been dealing with this because I've been in the thick of IT for 25 years now. It's nothing new. Cell phones are no exception. It's only going to get worse. Software drives hardware. New hardware drives software. New technologies and ideas come out of the gate very fast and if you sit on things too long, other companies will be happy to take it from you and put it to market. With 3D printing coming out all over, your head is going to explode in the coming few years. :beer:
You should see how many different CPUs, types of Memory, video card ports, data communication interfaces (USB, Firewire, PATA, SATA, eSATA, SCSI, SAS, Fibre Channel...), have all come and gone just in the time since you bought that printer. I have boxes of hard drives I can't use in new computers without putting an older card and slowing the whole thing down.

I see your point, but....my MM is almost as old as my printer...so I guess I need to buy a new car, too. So what if the printer is ancient...it still worked until I got a new PC, so why should I be forced to get rid of it and spend money on a new one? I don't have to have the latest and greatest printer; I already have one that works and meets my needs....

jwibbity
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
saved the headache of doing all that work just to get an old printer to work and just buy a newer one with the same features, if that ancient printer is filling your needs, you'll spend very little on something new that can do the exact same thing

and who buys toner for their printers anymore......:P:P

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Try the HP deskjet 840c drivers.

Follow this guy's post on the microsoft forums...this should work for windows 8.

"
This is what I did folks and it worked for me perfectly. In a Win 7 Pro 32 /64 bit system, I connected my 825c printer and Win 7 did find the device we just have to attach a driver to it!!... if you goto Start - Devices and Printers - Under unspecified I can see my 825C Device. Now if you get to this point then the only thing for you to do is goto the Top of Devices and Printers click on Add a Printer - select ADD a Local Printer , use existing port - USB001 or USB002 (depends on how many usb devices you have - usually the last one is the one for your printer since I assume you just connected it otherwise try usb001). Now the Install Printer Driver Window pops up. On the left select HP for Manufacturer (Do not select Hewlett Packard) and then over to the right under Printers select HP DeskJet 830c/832c . If you did not see HP and only Hewlett Parkard or didn't find HP Deskjet 830c/832c then you need to click on the bottom button that says WINDOWS UPDATE. It will take awhile .. (I have a fast computer and it took a full 45-60 sec. to update the list of printers), now try the steps again before continuing. The Rest of the steps are easy.. just hit next... Make it your default printer? - YES and Print a TEST PAGE - select. This series of steps worked for me, but let me warn you I only use the Black Cartridge on my printer, I hope after reading this someone tries the color aspect of it and gives feedback if it worked!! Many blessing to all who find this of value. And remember if you take some knowledge plse share sometime-somewhere a little of your knowledge to others... then when can make this money hungry world a little more pleasant to live in! God Bless!!
"

Found here,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/hp-deskjet-825c-inkjet-printer/0b27f433-f43a-4f1c-a1a6-6189a06e51a7

RacerX
02-21-2014, 01:01 PM
HP actually has drivers that work with Windows 7. He has Windows8! Totally different beast! :beer:

Try the HP deskjet 840c drivers.

Follow this guy's post on the microsoft forums...this should work for windows 8.

"
This is what I did folks and it worked for me perfectly. In a Win 7 Pro 32 /64 bit system, I connected my 825c printer and Win 7 did find the device we just have to attach a driver to it!!... if you goto Start - Devices and Printers - Under unspecified I can see my 825C Device. Now if you get to this point then the only thing for you to do is goto the Top of Devices and Printers click on Add a Printer - select ADD a Local Printer , use existing port - USB001 or USB002 (depends on how many usb devices you have - usually the last one is the one for your printer since I assume you just connected it otherwise try usb001). Now the Install Printer Driver Window pops up. On the left select HP for Manufacturer (Do not select Hewlett Packard) and then over to the right under Printers select HP DeskJet 830c/832c . If you did not see HP and only Hewlett Parkard or didn't find HP Deskjet 830c/832c then you need to click on the bottom button that says WINDOWS UPDATE. It will take awhile .. (I have a fast computer and it took a full 45-60 sec. to update the list of printers), now try the steps again before continuing. The Rest of the steps are easy.. just hit next... Make it your default printer? - YES and Print a TEST PAGE - select. This series of steps worked for me, but let me warn you I only use the Black Cartridge on my printer, I hope after reading this someone tries the color aspect of it and gives feedback if it worked!! Many blessing to all who find this of value. And remember if you take some knowledge plse share sometime-somewhere a little of your knowledge to others... then when can make this money hungry world a little more pleasant to live in! God Bless!!
"

Found here,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/hp-deskjet-825c-inkjet-printer/0b27f433-f43a-4f1c-a1a6-6189a06e51a7

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-21-2014, 01:04 PM
HP actually has drivers that work with Windows 7. He has Windows8! Totally different beast! :beer:
Yes he does. The OS's are similar, someone posted this advice worked on his 825 with Windows 8. *Using 840c drivers.

:beer:

RacerX
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
The OSes are not similar. Built from the ground up different. If you think they are, then Mac OS X is similar also. Yes, I work on and repair Macs too. I hope it works, good luck! :beer:

P.S. An important reason I'm so quick to say, just buy a new printer, is that to go through some of the... not user friendly areas of any OS environment can lead to causing more harm than good. Some of us are good at wrenching, some people you do not want holding a screwdriver, Eg. Dom. :D

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
The OSes are not similar. Built from the ground up different. If you think they are, then Mac OS X is similar also. Yes, I work on and repair Macs too. I hope it works, good luck! :beer:

P.S. An important reason I'm so quick to say, just buy a new printer, is that to go through some of the... not user friendly areas of any OS environment can lead to causing more harm than good. Some of us are good at wrenching, some people you do not want holding a screwdriver, Eg. Dom. :D

True that, from the ground up for touch-screen crap now-a-days. :shake:

Screwdriver..or kerosene jug near his fuel tank. :banana2:

LOL..sorry I had to Dom with all the Louisville talk recently.

babbage
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Just install any driver for the 8xx series, may work fine if PCL is the same...

Edit: just saw Racerx post about someone doing it.. So yeah same thing

IwantmyMMnow!
02-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys....this is where I'm at now...

Last night I had come across the instructions that were posted above, but I did not do the 'print test page' step...in the past I've skipped this step before w/o any issues. This time around I did print a test page and it printed. Then I tried to print a pdf document; it was 4 pages long, so I opted to print page 1 only and it gave me an error saying 'no pages were selected'. :confused: I then tried to print the first page of the document using Word (converted the document from pdf to Word) and it worked just fine.

So why won't it print a pdf? Not that it's a huge deal...I don't print many pdf docs anyway, and if I need to, I can just convert it to Word. I haven't tried to print other MS Office products yet (excel, powerpoint), but my 'ancient' printer is now recognized by my PC, which means I have $$$ to spend on my MM instead of getting a new printer. :)

babbage
02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Good to hear you saved it from the landfill!

Re: PDF in Adobe you can choose how the info is sent to the printer, vector or raster (image). Choosing image (raster) is easier for the printer to digest. something to try. If you can get a Windows test page which has color, text and graphics on it and it prints correct - you are home free, and Everything from Windows will print.

IwantmyMMnow!
02-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I did some more 'research' on the printing a pdf file problem. Came across this, which was posted by an Adobe rep in late 2012:

"Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8 currently doesn’t support printing, but we are working on adding the ability to print in early 2013."

Now granted, I don't have a touch screen and am not trying to perform touch screen tasks on my monitor, but it is now early 2014 and apparently this issue hasn't been fixed, as complaints about this issue on a blog I read are a recent as two weeks ago. There is a workaround that I tried and it did work...what's the workaround, you may ask?

Press Ctrl-P instead of clicking on (or touching) any print icons..... :shake:

MyBlackBeasts
02-21-2014, 09:29 PM
At the beginning of last week, I bought a new PC tower. It is a Lenovo with Windows 8 O/S. It's been working great, but I ran into a snag last night that I can't seem to resolve. I have a HP 825c deskjet printer, and apparently HP printers are no longer supported in Windows 8...so they say.

I went on a google hunt and found several websites that had workarounds to solve the issue, but everything I have tried has not worked. I did make some sort of progress, as at first I would simply get an error message saying "document failed to print'. Now I get an error message that says "document did not print because no pages were selected", which is weird because I had selected the "All" radio button.

I changed the printer port location from LPT1 to Virtual printer port for USB, but still no luck.

If anyone knows how I can get my 'ancient' HP printer to work on my new PC, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to have to run out and buy a new printer (which I think is BS...we're not forced to buy a new car or a new appliance every 3-5 years), especially since I just bought new toner cartridges for it 2 months ago.

Ran into that with W7. HP said load the Vista driver. I did & it worked. Try it, you can always uninstall or rollback if it doesn't work for you.

MyBlackBeasts
02-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys....this is where I'm at now...

Last night I had come across the instructions that were posted above, but I did not do the 'print test page' step...in the past I've skipped this step before w/o any issues. This time around I did print a test page and it printed. Then I tried to print a pdf document; it was 4 pages long, so I opted to print page 1 only and it gave me an error saying 'no pages were selected'. :confused: I then tried to print the first page of the document using Word (converted the document from pdf to Word) and it worked just fine.

So why won't it print a pdf? Not that it's a huge deal...I don't print many pdf docs anyway, and if I need to, I can just convert it to Word. I haven't tried to print other MS Office products yet (excel, powerpoint), but my 'ancient' printer is now recognized by my PC, which means I have $$$ to spend on my MM instead of getting a new printer. :)

Uninstall the current adobe reader & install an older version like 9 or 10.

TooManyFords
02-22-2014, 04:43 AM