PDA

View Full Version : How cold is it?

lji372
03-06-2014, 06:04 AM
A fellow at the shop has a frozen main water supply line:eek:

He does not live in the boonies either, he is in a highly populated area.

I have never heard of this. He has to hire a place similar to this

Otl5RWsI5GI

Anyone ever have this happen?

martyo
03-06-2014, 06:28 AM
I'd be nervous to have my nuts near that.

Limited360
03-06-2014, 06:40 AM
I'd be nervous to have my nuts near that.

My thoughts exactly... prolly can watch em shrivel up and dry out...

whitey
03-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Although ive never seen it, stranger stuff has happened. Im thinking the water line is not in code by being too close to the surface. If it completely froze up, he might be looking at a busted water line also. If thawing works and nothing else is broken, he should let water trickle at night to avoid this issue again.

My next door neighbor has this issue right now, the heater wrap used to wrap the water line coming from the ground into his trailer stopped working, luckily it just bulged the plastic pipe, and he has to let water trickle overnight until its a little warmer and i can help him rewrap it....its tough being trailer trash;)

lji372
03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
City told him frost line in our area is at 48"

City ordinance for fencing and such is 42"

Nobody thunk it would get is cold for this long. :dunno:

STEPS
03-06-2014, 07:35 AM
move to Florida

Guittard22
03-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I can tell how cold it is out in mass by walking my dog and my junk gets stuck to my leg....lol

whitey
03-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Its so cold, i seen a lawyer this morning walking into his office with his hands in his own pockets.

Sully008
03-06-2014, 09:13 AM
More than 600 homes/businesses in our city have frozen water pipes. The frost line is currently 2.1m (~6ft.) down. Officials are saying it will take weeks for them to thaw everyone out.

rayjay
03-06-2014, 10:49 AM
39* and rain at the beach. Far from normal. :bs: Code in my former home area was 46" for most things. I know its not enough this winter as frost heave caused my front door up north to be unusable. :mad:

lji372
03-06-2014, 01:36 PM
So uh, how's that global warming working out??

boatmangc
03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
So uh, how's that global warming working out??

Haven't you heard it has been quietly renamed "Climate Change"

TP Derrick D
03-06-2014, 06:13 PM
The cold & snow just shifted east. Its warm by winter standards with little to no snow on parts of the Iditarod Trail in Alaska according to news yesterday.

Ken
03-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Haven't you heard it has been quietly renamed "Climate Change"Hey Gary, How are you dealing with this crazy winter weather? A long sleeved shirt or is it sweater weather? :D Wishin' we were there!

justbob
03-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Quite the year here..

I was sent out to two commercial properties (a new McDonalds and a four story Chase Bank and corporate office) to diagnose leaks. Both buildings storm systems were frozen at the storm manhole out in the parking lot and backed up several feet towards the building resulting in 100% of the buildings storm drain piping backed up all the way to the roof heads... The bank had to of been in the backing up process for over a month to achieve this considering its lead and oakum 6" cast iron pipes had several independent drops from the roof to below slab where they tie together and head out to the manole, plus all the branches in piping picking up additional roof heads.

Luckily when we design the buildings layout (also thanks to code) it is designed to well exceed its own weight, fittings, and be capable of supporting water at 8 1/2 pounds a gallon. This includes hanger design and spacing, anchoring, and all thread rod diameter. Plus all roofs have emergency drains to prevent roof collapse in cases like these two that lead right to the open ground.

We contracted out a water jetting company to remove the ice build up after attempts of rodding backwards and getting absolutely soaked all the way to my undies in the manhole jabbing at the blockage failed. Could you imagine the head pressure at the blockage with 50' vertical 6" pipe times 4 more vertical stackes and all branches? Just quick math and rounding numbers here but I believe it would easily exceed 3,200 #s of force! Image an idiot removing the clean out at the base of the stack in the building to see why it is seeping water! LOL Helpful hint, if it is a drain pipe of ANY nature, it should NOT have a constant leak. If you see SEVERAL leaks, you have BIG issues! DON'T BE A DUMB DUMB AND REMOVE ANY CLEAN OUT PLUGS! DUH :D

Moving on, the high end pre school I am currently roughing in has been sitting without doors, windows, nor any roofing membrane all winter. As of last week it is somewhat sealed off (minus roof) and heated just enough to melt the snow/ice piles inside (at least during the day with the suns assistance) all this water needs to go somewhere and the entire building sanitary is FROZE. Been dumping salt down the floor drains and floor clean outs, heated water, pee pee, it's a flat out mess. Plus the roof and its cabillion Chinese torture leaks. Works been challenging to say the least.. I had to stud both of our lifts drive tires with 5/16" hex head screws just to get SOME sort of traction! :)

Here is a wake up call to any of you with a climate controlled working environment. Of course, this is one of the reasons why I make ludicrous money.. :coolman:

Enjoy!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/6egutusy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/eqejyped.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/ydysaju5.jpg

I am too nice (at least to guys who show up and actually put in effort, the lazys get a swift boot back to the bench) Check out the tent I made for my coworker.. He is a long haired, really long bearded 50 year old biker that looks straight outa sons of anarchy, but is the most soft spoken, polite person I have yet to meet and literally turns plumbing into art.. A good example of not to judge.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/unebema7.jpg

I won't continue to bore you with frozen and burst water pipes and boiler systems. That's another book on its own..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

lji372
03-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Quite the year here..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/6egutusy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/eqejyped.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/ydysaju5.jpg

I am too nice (at least to guys who show up and actually put in effort, the lazys get a swift boot back to the bench) Check out the tent I made for my coworker.. He is a long haired, really long bearded 50 year old biker that looks straight outa sons of anarchy, but is the most soft spoken, polite person I have yet to meet and literally turns plumbing into art.. A good example of not to judge.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/unebema7.jpg

I won't continue to bore you with frozen and burst water pipes and boiler systems. That's another book on its own..

"Since 2004"

holy moly!!!! :bows:

stay warm

Commodore Crap
03-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Just dealing with these 91* temps today.
Geez.

-ryan s.

JoeBoomz
03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Today, finally, the snow is melting a bit here!

whitey
03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Jeeze bob, dont tell them we make ludicrous amounts of money, just let them think all construction workers are high school drop outs...thats why we poopoo in porta-potties, when they have bathrooms in the existing buildings we remodel. And ive been on the bench ever since 2013 ABT, top of my class 4 out of 5 years apprenticeship and the supervisor of reliance fire protection would rather have his POS cousins working, instead of me. May the bridges i burn light my way...

Shaijack
03-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Wow that is a mess. I had Ice Cubes freeze in my refrigerator. 70's and clear here. Bikini gals all out getting the sun...There is a topless one, my mistake it was Marty and Jerry....

lji372
03-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Wow that is a mess. I had Ice Cubes freeze in my refrigerator. 70's and clear here. Bikini gals all out getting the sun...There is a topless one, my mistake it was Marty and Jerry....

Pics or it didn't happen :D

justbob
03-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Jeeze bob, dont tell them we make ludicrous amounts of money, just let them think all construction workers are high school drop outs...thats why we poopoo in porta-potties, when they have bathrooms in the existing buildings we remodel. And ive been on the bench ever since 2013 ABT, top of my class 4 out of 5 years apprenticeship and the supervisor of reliance fire protection would rather have his POS cousins working, instead of me. May the bridges i burn light my way...

That's a crying shame but reality.. You are either really good at what you do or a family member if your working. As you know we weeded out worthless ones a few years back. It really grinds my ass to see ones in your position!

"Since 2004"

whitey
03-08-2014, 02:21 PM
That's a crying shame but reality.. You are either really good at what you do or a family member if your working. As you know we weeded out worthless ones a few years back. It really grinds my ass to see ones in your position!

"Since 2004"

Yep, everybody in the field ive worked with is upset over it, im not saying im the best, but i guarantee id run circles around those 2 cousins. Thanks for the sympathy.

justbob
03-08-2014, 02:28 PM
You don't have describe your talent. I already know your damn good considering you worked up till recently. I finally caved and became Foreman just to step up and hopefully stay in the game. It's a brutal environment with steep competition!

"Since 2004"